The Problem With Women's MMA

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Thickfreakness, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Blue Belt

Jimmy Smith explains that the big problem with women's MMA is the shallow-talent pool, and how that negatively impacts the development of top-level fighters.

Do you agree?

2. Paolo Delutis

Paolo Delutis Black Belt

In other news...water is wet

This guy should not be handling MMA

Its still relatively new to the UFC its gunna take time for it to mature just like mens did..go back watch the first UFCs..even when they adopted the unified rules its completely different..

Bobbybackpack, Mike, Buff and 5 others like this.
  3. Rvd Slmr

Rvd Slmr Silver Belt

I don't think anyone disagrees with that. I'm in favour of WMMA and yet I pretty much never watch any WMMA fight that hasn't some top 5 implications.

4. poor form

poor form Orange Belt

Well if the women are training with men, why would the actual fights make any difference in their development? From alot of media I’ve seen the women train alot with men.

Just going by the OP. I didn’t watch the video.

Kenny Powerth likes this.
  5. 20falarVerdades

20falarVerdades Silver Belt

Agree

Ronda would still be a top 5, maybe top 3 in the division

6. SuperNerd

SuperNerd Season Mode.

You can't deny that argument.

But if you want one, I'd say... star power would make that irrelevant. Rousey drew record numbers against the worst fighters in modern UFC

7. SpiderCrawl

SpiderCrawl Red Belt

Poor fight fans are the problem.

Redfish and JarlSkuld like this.
  8. Kenny Powerth

Kenny Powerth Jean Belt (Jelt)

Jimmy Smith is cool but he is just stating the obvious.

No depth? No shit. The UFC (the best MMA organization in the world) cant even fill a 145 weight class. In every weight class its the top 3-5..... then crickets.

Kafir-kun, Tibbles, BLIND and 9 others like this.
  9. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

The talent pool in wmma isn't gonna get any bigger if you don't put women in the spotlight. You need role models.

Girls are gonna watch Valentina (as they watched Ronda before) and go: "That could be me, this is what I wanna do".

10. VodkaDrunkenski

VodkaDrunkenski White Belt

UFC forcing WMMA onto the cards is nothing short of a political act.

If a WMMA-only promotion existed, no one outside of soya-munching hippies would watch.

The only form of protest they understand is with your wallet. Don’t spend a cent with them unless there is no WMMA on the card.

11. tonil

tonil Red Card

12. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle

TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Brown Belt

Theres a few women fighters i'll watch but the talent pool is wafer thin and women just do not have anywhere near the same level of physical attributes that men do when it comes to fighting. All politics etc aside its just objectively inferior MMA. The supposed no1 MMA org is spending like 30 minutes or so of practically every card showcasing fights between fighters that would lose to most of the people in the crowd watching them.

13. Verace

Verace Gold Belt

Wrong.

Believe it or not, they actually do really good numbers. Thats why the UFC has them on.
    I dont know where these numbers are coming from, but they are real.
    The UFC is the ultimate money based decision maker. If they are putting them there, and as a matter of fact in a lot of prestiged positions such as big main cards and even main events, there is a reason for it.

It actually exists. Is called Invicta FC

Listen.... im not a big fan of WMMA myself, im just telling it like it is.

14. igorvswanderlei

igorvswanderlei Αmateur Fightеr

The biggest problem with women's MMA is that the UFC airs that shit on the same cards as the men's fights.

15. Mammothman

Mammothman Silver Belt

There are also many girls following the PVZ route, get a boob job, beat a couple of cans and become an IG influencer, profit.

You can see they are here not to become to best just popular

16. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with reaching out to a population that's 50 % female, and thereby not only getting women to watch the UFC but also getting them to compete and practice MMA in order to literally get better entertainment for everyone... It must be "political" ...

17. moogie101

moogie101 Brown Belt

Each division has decent fighters up to about the top five, but usually after that (and sadly sometimes before as in the case of the Flyweight division as there's not much talent there beyond the Champ) there is a significant drop-off of female fighters who shouldn't really be in MMA let along fighting in the "prestigious" UFC.

It wouldn't matter so much if there were stars to carry these weak division, as has already been said Rousey drew huge numbers & media attention facing very weak opposition, until Holm & Nunes. But no-one else has got anywhere close to that level of interest. Nunes should be a megastar, a lesbian, two-weight champion who is killing all opposition but hasn't really crossed over into the mainstream. Best option is Zhang, an exciting fighter, Asian heritage & has by far the best run of possible contenders of all the female division.

The UFC needs to cherry-pick the best fighters out of Invicta & swap them with promising fighters who are in the UFC but really shouldn't be yet, then use Invicta as a development company where fighters can gain the experience & skills ready for the Octagon rather than throwing them in the UFC before they are ready & making a mockery of the fighter, the division & WMMA in general.

The sad part is that when done well with the top talented fighters WMMA can be genuinely exciting & pull the fans in. Even those who post on here just to dismiss WMMA can't honestly say they weren't looking forward to Nunes vs. Cyborg or that the fight wasn't exciting.

Kafir-kun, Ironnik94 and aerius like this.
  18. Redfish

Redfish Blue Belt

I just don't get why people get wound up about Womens MMA. Theres plenty of dog shit Mens MMA too. Pretty much every card has dog shit Mens MMA.

I bet half those complaining just don't like women.

19. DOMMA

DOMMA Brown Belt

Women's MMA is evolving and getting better. The top 10 UFC women are all skilled, legit fighters and the talent list is improving.
    upload_2020-2-14_9-23-21.png

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    RampageFaction and Ironnik94 like this.
  20. ConorFacts

ConorFacts Yellow Card Yellow Card

women Soccer is 100000x deeper than MEN MMA and they still suck