The Power of Karate

Does he DO karate or did he do karate when he was like 7?

Because I've noticed a lot of fighters did a TMA as a kid but that doesn't mean it reflects their current fighting style.

It might reflect and undoubtably plays some sort of role in their overall game but it may not be noticeable.

If I was going to steal one aspect from karate it would be distance control
Almost every martial art has distance control with the exception of the grappling specific arts. But you must also know martial arts are only from the martial islands. Otherwise techniques are called fighting styles. And almost every fighting style has distance control.

Jukai, you still train or did you give that up a while back?

Ha, sorry man. I haven't trained in anything for almost half a decade. Revolving shifts made things hard. That was part of the reason I joined Sherdog, just a way to get my kick without actually training.

I just got a good 9-5, so maybe I'll jump back into things, but I don't know if that will be Shotokan again. I probably would want to train BJJ or something that I've never done.

LOL Karate.

Its point fighting TKD. (ITF/ATA evolved )..not Olympic style. Front leg side kick/hook kick switch stance reverse hook. Classic stuff in TKD thats called "Karate" because no one knew what TKD was.

Karate is not a kicking art.

Machida, McGreggor, GSP, Thompson,... Lots of good fighters who utilize karate to great effect. Holly Holm started in karate...
Gap used tkd more so than karate I thought. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gap used tkd more so than karate I thought. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

GSP never trained TKD. He did a violent offshot of traditional Karate called Kyokushin, but it isn't anything like what Machida (Shotokan) or Thompson (Kempo) train. Kyokushin looks much more like Kickboxing. It also hurts a helluva lot more.

McGregor does a lot more TKD now. He learned a lot of Karate from Gunnar but now he actually has a Taekwondo striking coach.

LOL Karate.

Its point fighting TKD. (ITF/ATA evolved )..not Olympic style. Front leg side kick/hook kick switch stance reverse hook. Classic stuff in TKD thats called "Karate" because no one knew what TKD was.

Thompson has never trained Taekwondo. ITF/ATA both are pretty much direct offshoots of Shotokan, with more emphasis on kicks, they are very similar (Olympic TKD, WTF style, has evolved a lot more away from its original Karate roots).

Regardless, Thompson is a Kempo guy, much like Scoggins.

Ha, sorry man. I haven't trained in anything for almost half a decade. Revolving shifts made things hard. That was part of the reason I joined Sherdog, just a way to get my kick without actually training.

I just got a good 9-5, so maybe I'll jump back into things, but I don't know if that will be Shotokan again. I probably would want to train BJJ or something that I've never done.

Seems like after all the time you put into it that it would always be in your veins. Even if you trained on your own, you'd still work the katas and the basics.

Does he DO karate or did he do karate when he was like 7?

Because I've noticed a lot of fighters did a TMA as a kid but that doesn't mean it reflects their current fighting style.
He trained with some bald Chinese monks and this aint a joke.

I dont think its a style per say, but the individual practitioner. It just so happens there are really gifted karate practitioners in the UFC right now.

Truthfully, most stand up striking arts are effective. UFC 1 didn't prove that all TMA's are BS. It proved that they all had a significant hole in their game. But strikers figured out how to grapple and so now BJJ guys have to learn enough striking to defend themselves properly. There was a time when hordes of BJJ black belts wanted to test themselves in MMA. But instead of evolving BJJ for MMA, most guys would rather spin upside down and play pajama tug of war. Damn shame, really. I feel like BJJ has a lot to offer MMA in terms of effectiveness and entertainment value. To me it seems only the strikers and wrestlers have evolved.

Last edited:
LOL Karate.

So Cheetah learned his crane kick from TKD?

Agreed. "Point fighting" gets a bad rep, but it can teach you useful skills. Specifically, it teaches you how to get the fuck out of the way and how to be accurate without getting hit with a counter.

Is that not actually the essence of truly effective fighting? To hit without getting hit?
Absolutely! Much smarter than MT where you just bang each others shins when your not punching each other. On a whole only a small percentage of Point fighters are gonna have the will to compete in MMA or K1 style fights because of the brutality of it. Anyone can compete in the former without getting beat up to bad. Every once in a while you're going to get hit with a clean shot and get rocked but thats about it. That's why most karate guys entering MMA came from KK. Full contact sport karate with full power shots to the body but none to the head. The elusiveness of the point fighting was not there much more rigid style. Now that we are getting some point Fighters who want to delve into the heavy stuff we get to see it shine!

Almost every martial art has distance control with the exception of the grappling specific arts. But you must also know martial arts are only from the martial islands. Otherwise techniques are called fighting styles. And almost every fighting style has distance control.
Because of point fighting, karate practitioners have to be damn sure when they attack they are going to land or if they are on the defensive they can easily evade. It is the one "sport" that one clean punch ends the fight so they must emphasise the control of distance to achieve their goals. Thus their distance control is exceptional. Karate isn't a tough man sport (except for kyokushin) when compared to the other combat arts where you can absorb damage and the fight keeps going.

LOL Karate.

Karate has point fighting! It also has all the kicks you described. You need to know them to get you second belt. Thompson grew up doing Kempo since he was 3.

TKD

Karate has point fighting! It also has all the kicks you described. You need to know them to get you second belt. Thompson grew up doing Kempo since he was 3.

TKD

What second belt Karate program has spin hook kicks?

Back