The Power of Karate

krotty only works well if you know how to use it just like any other martial art.
johny was like ??? and finito.

I thought Hardy did Shaolin kungfu

I was play-sparring my buddy, who's a pretty legit Karate Black-Belt, and it really frustrated and impressed me that I couldn't even get close to him while he kept his straights in my face the whole time. No power shots, I just asked him to demonstrate his style.

I think the truth is that high-level karate is the shit. The problem is that there is not a lot of high-level karate out there. There's a lot of shitty level, recreational karate out there instead.

Karate trained with MMA in mind is effective. On it's own, without wrestling and BJJ and a little boxing, it wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Well the sport is mixed martial arts. You need a grappling art. I personally think that karate and judo is an excellent combination.

I think the truth is that high-level karate is the shit. The problem is that there is not a lot of high-level karate out there. There's a lot of shitty level, recreational karate out there instead.

Well the sport is mixed martial arts. You need a grappling art. I personally think that karate and judo is an excellent combination.
I've never tangled with a Karate guy before (Never really tangled with anyone outside playing around) But he was so unlike anything I'd seen before. He didn't beat me up too bad, and I returned some leg kicks, but the whole thing was a big puzzle. Some great techniques to be learned in there, for sure.

Karate can play into Judo quite well, I'd imagine. Darting in with straights and finishing with a leg-sweep ala Machida.

It's the sport karate style or point fighting that makes them so good. In point fighting you can't get touched on the head or torso. So you need to be quick to get in and out to score. The people that were at the top of point fighting and made a trasition to mma are gonna tear shit up.
Sherdogs been sitting on point fighting for years but now that we got some life long TMAers doing MMA we can see how wrong the haters have been.

As someone with a TMA background of TKD, I love seeing someone apply it's strengths in MMA. Stephen has really adopted utilizing the best parts of his TMA base to MMA. Some TMA just don't understand how to do what Stephen has done. Machida did this really well too. I'm not so sure that Stephen hasn't done it better, though.

Only scrubs do Karate bro, don't buy that shit

It's the sport karate style or point fighting that makes them so good. In point fighting you can't get touched on the head or torso. So you need to be quick to get in and out to score. The people that were at the top of point fighting and made a trasition to mma are gonna tear shit up.
Sherdogs been sitting on point fighting for years but now that we got some life long TMAers doing MMA we can see how wrong the haters have been.

Agreed. "Point fighting" gets a bad rep, but it can teach you useful skills. Specifically, it teaches you how to get the fuck out of the way and how to be accurate without getting hit with a counter.

Is that not actually the essence of truly effective fighting? To hit without getting hit?

There is a lot of truth to what you said about point fighting. Nice analysis.

As someone with a TMA background of TKD, I love seeing someone apply it's strengths in MMA. Stephen has really adopted utilizing the best parts of his TMA base to MMA. Some TMA just don't understand how to do what Stephen has done. Machida did this really well too. I'm not so sure that Stephen hasn't done it better, though.

Karate and TKD share a historical background. There's a lot of similarities there, especially when it comes to ITF TKD and traditional karate styles.

Back