International The Marshall Islands begs America to do something about our leaking nuclear waste depository there.

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
I don't know why the mainstream media (and their readers) are wasting so much time on useless "news", when important things like these should be getting our attention.

Does any of the past, current, and future Presidential candidates knows we are responsible for a nuclear disaster that is about to happen?​

How the U.S. betrayed the Marshall Islands, kindling the next nuclear disaster

By Susanne Rust Photography and videography by Carolyn Cole. Graphics and design by Lorena Iñiguez Elebee and Sean Greene | Nov. 10, 2019

la-na-marshall-islands-dome-desktop-1.png

More than 3.1 million cubic feet of radioactive material lie within a bomb crater that was capped with an 18-inch-thick cover on Runit Island.

Five thousand miles west of Los Angeles and 500 miles north of the equator, on a far-flung spit of white coral sand in the central Pacific, a massive, aging and weathered concrete dome bobs up and down with the tide.

Here in the Marshall Islands, Runit Dome holds more than 3.1 million cubic feet — or 35 Olympic-sized swimming pools — of U.S.-produced radioactive soil and debris, including lethal amounts of plutonium. Nowhere else has the United States saddled another country with so much of its nuclear waste, a product of its Cold War atomic testing program.

Between 1946 and 1958, the United States detonated 67 nuclear bombs on, in and above the Marshall Islands — vaporizing whole islands, carving craters into its shallow lagoons and exiling hundreds of people from their homes.

U.S. authorities later cleaned up contaminated soil on Enewetak Atoll, where the United States not only detonated the bulk of its weapons tests but, as The Times has learned, also conducted a dozen biological weapons tests and dumped 130 tons of soil from an irradiated Nevada testing site. It then deposited the atoll’s most lethal debris and soil into the dome.

Now the concrete coffin, which locals call “the Tomb,” is at risk of collapsing from rising seas and other effects of climate change. Tides are creeping up its sides, advancing higher every year as distant glaciers melt and ocean waters rise.

Officials in the Marshall Islands have lobbied the U.S. government for help, but American officials have declined, saying the dome is on Marshallese land and therefore the responsibility of the Marshallese government.

“I’m like, how can it [the dome] be ours?” Hilda Heine, the president of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, said in an interview in her presidential office in September. “We don’t want it. We didn’t build it. The garbage inside is not ours. It’s theirs.”

Please read the complete report here BEFORE hitting the Reply button:
https://www.latimes.com/projects/ma...ting-sea-level-rise/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Last edited:
If they didnt want to be betrayed, they shouldnt have trusted the USA.

Also climate change isnt real, so no problem anyways.

Part of the agreement to being a sovereign state is an agreement that the US provide defense to the islands.

Well, wouldn't cleaning up this mess be a part of the defense agreement?

Did the Marshall Islands agree to let the U.S. build the tomb there? What were the terms of that agreement?

How the U.S. betrayed the Marshall Islands, kindling the next nuclear disaster. I don't know why the mainstream media (and their readers) are wasting so much time on useless "news", when important things like these should be getting our attention.
An article from the 'Los Angeles Times'. As bad as the 'New York Times'. Liberal propaganda.

We covered this topic about a year ago. The 'Runit Dome' is located at Runit Island. Runit Island is located at the Enewetak Atoll. Enewetak Atoll is located about 250 miles due West of Bikini Atoll. All of it is part of the Marshall Islands. Runit Island is washed daily by salt water from the Pacific Ocean. Any 'nuclear' leak will be diluted and washed away by ocean water. The Marshall Islands are thriving. Human life, animal life, fish and vegetation are normal.
mhnewzz.gif

The 'Los Angeles Times' should do a real story on the problems of 'The Great Pacific' garbage patch.

Last edited:
Part of the agreement to being a sovereign state is an agreement that the US provide defense to the islands. Well, wouldn't cleaning up this mess be a part of the defense agreement?
The Marshall Islands became an independent country in 1979. They are not like Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands -- U.S. territories. I'm sure they wish they were. Hawaii was a U.S. territory when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941.

Are the people claiming that this structure is susceptible to damage from the ocean privy to classified information about the structure? Are they engineers with knowledge of its design?

If not, fuck off

The Marshall Islands became an independent country in 1979. They are not like Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands -- U.S. territories. I'm sure they wish they were. Hawaii was a U.S. territory when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941.
The Federated States of Micronesia (since 1986), the Marshall Islands (since 1986), and Palau (since 1994) are associated with the United States under what is known as the Compact of Free Association, giving the states international sovereignty and ultimate control over their territory. However, the governments of those areas have agreed to allow the United States to provide defense; the U.S. federal government fund grants and access to U.S. social services for citizens of these areas. The United States benefits from its ability to use the islands as strategic military bases.

Marshall Islands wanted to be its own country and also continue to exploit the USA's kindness. They should be proud to have evidence of American superiority in a tomb on their land.

What I want to know is if this structure needed maintenance? I didn't read about that, maybe I missed it, but I don't believe that the US would just set up the structure and told the Marshallese that it will just last forever and even if they did, why would they buy that?

A guy I know from the Marshall Islands told me his mother has had 4 miscarriages due to the radiation on the islands they are all forced to live with. Good job Murica.

What I want to know is if this structure needed maintenance? I didn't read about that, maybe I missed it, but I don't believe that the US would just set up the structure and told the Marshallese that it will just last forever and even if they did, why would they buy that?

It was meant as a temporary storage site while the U.S find a more permanent solution to move and dispose of the radiactive debris elsewhere. Then the dome itself became the permanent solution when America simply scraped any plan to do anything further.

According to the Department of Energy, Plutonium-239 radiation leaking from the dome would quickly be diluted by seawater, so there's no contamination concerns to worry about. It's a line often parroted by those who think we shouldn't do anything about it.

At the same time, the Department of Energy also banned the export of fishes from the area, because of the same contamination they keep telling the people there not to worry about.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017...ar-test-leaking-due-to-climate-change/9161442

However, the governments of those areas have agreed to allow the United States to provide defense; the U.S. federal government fund grants and access to U.S. social services for citizens of these areas. The United States benefits from its ability to use the islands as strategic military bases.
Yes. Like South Korea and Japan.

Democrats haven’t hated America this much since yesterday.

Does any of the past, current, and future Presidential candidates knows we are responsible for a nuclear disaster that is about to happen?

Well we can answer that for the past candidates for sure.

Marshall Islands have talked to Trump about it:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-struggles-to-stay-above-water-idUSKCN1TM1HU

Marshall Islands sued US to get rid of its nukes, also suing then-Prez Obama in the process:

https://www.deseret.com/2015/4/2/20479529/marshall-islands-will-appeal-in-nuclear-case-against-us

Lm
An article from the 'Los Angeles Times'. As bad as the 'New York Times'. Liberal propaganda.

We covered this topic about a year ago. The 'Runit Dome' is located at Runit Island. Runit Island is located at the Enewetak Atoll. Enewetak Atoll is located about 250 miles due West of Bikini Atoll. All of it is part of the Marshall Islands. Runit Island is washed daily by salt water from the Pacific Ocean. Any 'nuclear' leak will be diluted and washed away by ocean water. The Marshall Islands are thriving. Human life, animal life, fish and vegetation are normal.
mhnewzz.gif

The 'Los Angeles Times' should do a real story on the problems of 'The Great Pacific' garbage patch.

Lmao they did dingus.

https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-garbage-patch-plastic-20180322-story.html

Back