The King's 3-month Crunch. (Boxing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
King Kabuki said:
Those are my staple-stomach workouts. But remember, the key to a 6-pack is your eating/burning of bodyfat. You can strengthen the stomach muscles all you want, but getting them to show is a matter of burning all of the fat around them. Also with the amount of punching I do the abs get a Hell of a workout on any day, just from stabilization of movement.

thanks for the info, Kabuki. always a pleasure hearing your thoughts.

thanks for the info, Kabuki. always a pleasure hearing your thoughts.

No problem.

Today:

15 minute stretch.

4 minute skip-rope.

6.74 mile run (legs were burning like fuck from yesterday)

Heavy Bag Rounds 101

4 rounds double-end bag.

4 rounds speed-bag.

2 rounds Shadowboxing.

10 rafter pull-ups.

4 rounds focus mitt drills (working on defense and counter-punching primarily. Speed, timing, accuracy)

4 rounds Shadowboxing (worked in moving in and out of corners fluently).

20 push-ups, 10 with the bars facing horizontal to my view, 10 with them facing vertical to my view.

Tidbits: You'll notice a pattern on my days between weights. They're almost always the same basic design save for slight variances in the numbers. I have to work both tomorrow and New Year's day though, so standing up for the 7 hour shift tomorrow is gonna suck ass.

KK-

How do you come up with the exact mileage?
Is that on purpose?
Is your routine that specific with the road work?

Tell me more.

I use a pedometer. I like to keep track of how much I go each day because I'll know where I'm at when facing a 10 or 12 round fight. If I can go 5-7 miles, then a 10 rounder won't be too tough in constant-motion. If I feel like shit and am only outputting 4-6 miles then I know I better turn down a 10-rounder and stick with 6-8's until I feel better.

Probably runs on a machine.

No machines man. I use the bike when weather is very bad, but the open road is a staple of Boxing. I can go good distances here because Florida is flat. Were there hills my numbers would be less.

Hey, KK, what kind of pace are you running those 5 + miles in??? (aside from the lil' sprinting intervals you do)? Your log is encouraging, btw. Keep it up! :D

Thanks man. I mostly go at a moderate jog. But every minute and a half or so I'll pick it up to a decent run. It's taken me a long time to get here though. My log makes it sound like I just woke up one morning and decided to run 7 miles. lol NO WAY. I started out damn-near fainting at 3-4 miles, then 5, then 6, and I hit the 7 mile mark just within the past month and can't do it more than twice per week if that. I know some guys that do 10 per DAY, but they train for specific purposes like Triathalons and whatnot. I just want to be FRESH in the 12th round of a fight. Not even winded unless it's from taking punches (should that be the case).

There's a couple of stints where I'm almost at a brisk walk, overheated, exhausted, and just need to re-group. But I listen to a lot of metal while I run that fills me with hate enough to carry on. lol

Rest.

I may break my own rule and rest tomorrow as well. Some family came down for New Year's that couldn't make it for Giftmas. Plus I have to work open to close tomorrow so the outlook isn't looking good for training time and enough energy to spend time with the Family. If I do, Monday is going to have to be tough.

King Kabuki said:
Thanks man. I mostly go at a moderate jog. But every minute and a half or so I'll pick it up to a decent run. It's taken me a long time to get here though. My log makes it sound like I just woke up one morning and decided to run 7 miles. lol NO WAY. I started out damn-near fainting at 3-4 miles, then 5, then 6, and I hit the 7 mile mark just within the past month and can't do it more than twice per week if that. I know some guys that do 10 per DAY, but they train for specific purposes like Triathalons and whatnot. I just want to be FRESH in the 12th round of a fight. Not even winded unless it's from taking punches (should that be the case).

There's a couple of stints where I'm almost at a brisk walk, overheated, exhausted, and just need to re-group. But I listen to a lot of metal while I run that fills me with hate enough to carry on. lol

Oh, ok. Thanks. :D

Yup, decided to rest today, too. Dammit. Yeah I'm not going to be in any kind of mood to train today as I'm going to be telling all the "New Year's Resolution" weight-loss people that there are no magic pills that will help them burn fat and build muscle inside of one month. I just LOVE crushing hopes and dreams.

I fear returning to the gym. I hate this time of year.

Oh you mean because of all the people trying to undo a season of binge-eating/drinking? lol With their new cute little gym clothes and their new haircuts, and their "I'm gonna do it RIGHT!!.....THIS TIME!!" attitudes, and their high-paid personal trainers and computer-generated diets, expensive protein powders and completelly unnecessary supplements (like GAKIC) and recovery drinks? Come now, you KNOW these clowns are the ones gyms make all their money on. They'll plague you for about a month, two tops.

Today:

20 minute stretch.

3 minute rope-skip.

6 mile run.

Heavybag Rounds 101 (I'll no-longer be linking this as it's done enough in previous posts.)
**Was hitting like a FREIGHT TRAIN today, felt strong.

4 rounds double-end bag.

4 rounds speed-bag.

2 rounds shadowboxing.

10 rafter pull-ups.

20 push-ups.

The End.

Tidbits: The weather was back to normal today. Warmer and humid, feels like someone slapping you in the face with a sweaty gym towel. So I gassed a bit earlier than I was before when it was cooler, until I acclimate back to this thicker air. Tomorrow I should be back on-track.

Btw. what are rafter pull ups? Tried to google them but couldnt find aynthing.

Well see I don't have a conventional pull-up bar. So I do my pull-ups on the rafters in my garage. For people who have done this it's much harder because the rafter isn't small enough to get a good grip around. Your thumb is basically rendered useless and you're pulling with just your fingers. So your grip gets strengthened a lot along with the normal muscles used in the pull-up. I could probably do 20 pull-ups on a conventional bar where I could grip proper.

My arms are killing me...

Today:

10 minute stretch.

3 minute rope-skip.

6.82 mile run.
(breathing back to normal with more humidity.)

Heavybag Rounds 101
(only went to round 5)

4 rounds double-end bag.

2 continuous rounds speed-bag
(no break between)

2 rounds shadowboxing
(I been working in and out of corners a lot, lateral movement.)

10 rafter pull-ups.

Weights/Strength:

Standing dumbbell curls:
- 4 sets of 10
(counting every other rep as one)

Seated dumbbell curl:
- 3 sets of 20 per arm

Overhead tricep hammer-curl:
- 3 sets of 20 per arm

Tricep kickbacks:
- 2 sets of 20 per arm

Weighted shoulder shrugs:
- 2 sets of 20 rotating forward
- 2 sets of 20 rotating backward
(alternating)

Frontwards raises: (focusing on trap and lat flexes)
- 4 sets of 10 counting every other rep as one

20 push-ups, 10 with the bars facing horizontal to my view, 10 with them facing vertical to my view.

That is all.

Tidbits: See this is why I hate taking 2 continous off-days. This was one of those workouts I never thought I was going to see the end of. lol Then when I compare it to my Christmas Eve workout it's not much different at all. Granted my routine is consistent, but just whenever I come from off-days and do a full workout, it sucks more. My weight gloves are shredding, guess I'm doing a good job with the dumbbells then.

**CHALLENGE - This is for you guys who keep up with this. I have a challenge for you. See how every single workout no matter what I do I do those 20 push-ups at the end? Try that out. No matter how tired you are, no matter how shitty you feel, have something like 20 push-ups or 10 pull-ups that you VOW to complete at the END of every workout NO MATTER WHAT. This will really test your resolve. To put it into perspective, it usually takes me about 10-15 minutes to complete those 20 push-ups. Oh and a lot of grunting and cursing.

Sounds pretty interesting, KK, sort of like a finisher. Do you ever try using a short, brutal conditioning drill as a "finisher" to your workout? Quite often I'll pick my sweaty, lactic-acid-filled ass off of the ground and head outside for 2-4 sprint-paced sledgehammer intervals/burpee intervals or do some punch-out drills, sprints or sandbag carries to failure. Basically, doing these finishers gets everything out of the tank, and because you know it's the last one you're doing for the day, it's alot easier to go balls-out. Different finishers can be used for different goals (i.e. jump-rope to encourage agility and quick feet even when you're gassed, or punch-out drills/3-4 rounds of Enamait's powerboxing to drill technique into your head even when you're ready to drop).

If you can manage a finisher like I mentioned above in addition to those 20 gruelling push-ups, you've got soooul.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back