The King's 3-month Crunch. (Boxing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds pretty interesting, KK, sort of like a finisher. Do you ever try using a short, brutal conditioning drill as a "finisher" to your workout? Quite often I'll pick my sweaty, lactic-acid-filled ass off of the ground and head outside for 2-4 sprint-paced sledgehammer intervals/burpee intervals or do some punch-out drills, sprints or sandbag carries to failure. Basically, doing these finishers gets everything out of the tank, and because you know it's the last one you're doing for the day, it's alot easier to go balls-out. Different finishers can be used for different goals (i.e. jump-rope to encourage agility and quick feet even when you're gassed, or punch-out drills/3-4 rounds of Enamait's powerboxing to drill technique into your head even when you're ready to drop).

If you can manage a finisher like I mentioned above in addition to those 20 gruelling push-ups, you've got soooul.

Sorry I didn't answer this yesterday Brandon. Yesterday was one of those rest days where even excess finger movement pissed me off.

Anywho I do things like that on occasion, but I'll be more apt to go that far when I'm making money doing this. Because that sort of pushing can risk injury moreso and right now I can't afford to get injured. But rest-assured once I get paid to do this and don't have to be a monkey for a lot of the day I'll be more willing to push harder.

Today:

Today I got most of my exercise at work. I worked with my friend Manuel. Manuel Labor that is, get it? It was shipment day at GNC and when that time is here we have boxes and boxes to unload, count, move, unpack, and put away. Most of the boxes contained protein tubs that usually weigh anywhere from 3-8lbs, they come in boxes 2-6 per box, and there were 72 boxes. You can do the math. I hate math.

This equated to basically lifting weights all day. Unstable weights, repeatedly. Fun times. But there is no conditioning like physical work. Hell if it worked for Jim Braddock.

Today:

15 minute stretch.

2.5 minute rope skip.

7.31 mile run.

Heavybag rounds 101.

4 rounds double-end bag.

4 rounds speed bag. (Was a lot better coordinated today.)

2 rounds Shadowboxing.

4 rounds Focus Mitt drills.

10 rafter pull-ups. Next week I'm shooting for 12.

Tidbits: Today my partner showed up. He's never used focus mitts in the manner which I need them used so we spent a lot of time doing just basic focus mitt drills back-and-forth so he got the feel of how to do them at higher speeds, and circling. Then we worked on defense and moving in-and-out of corners. I notice I'm a little weak to my right-side on defense and a little slow from my left-side on counter-punching. But aside from that I'm pleased. Let me just say the shoulder-roll style I use is TOUGH to get down but once you do the defense is impenetrable as long as you can keep sight of your opponent.

Oh yeah and you know that vein that snakes from your forearm to your bicep? That sumbitch is poppin like a mofo on me now. Yeah sucka!

It's cool to read about how you're improving more and more. Shooting for more pull-ups, plowing through the speedbag very smoothly, and increasing your run times. All very inspiring, bro. Keep up the great work man

By the way, when are you going to that training camp to really polish everything up for your pro debut? I remember reading about you stepping up your training even MORE in... january, I think you said? Whenever it is, good luck and keep us posted!

It was January, moved back to March. But it will be March come Hell or high-water.

News Flash: I knocked out my Heavy Bag. Literally. Last session when I was hitting it it just flew off and almost crashed into my partner. My brain is always kinda fried after I train so I neglected to mention it. I only realized now because tomorrow I can't do bag work. But it's alright because I wanted a heavier one anyway. I'm kinda proud though because I didn't just break the back, one of the links in the chain that holds it up completely pulled in-half.

King Kabuki said:
News Flash: I knocked out my Heavy Bag. Literally. Last session when I was hitting it it just flew off and almost crashed into my partner. My brain is always kinda fried after I train so I neglected to mention it. I only realized now because tomorrow I can't do bag work. But it's alright because I wanted a heavier one anyway. I'm kinda proud though because I didn't just break the back, one of the links in the chain that holds it up completely pulled in-half.
Id've walked around with a little smug, proud smile for the rest of the day it that happened to me....

I stomped around for a moment with my gloves up as my partner counted the bag out.

Rest. Saturday I worked a 10 hour shift so that didn't much count as rest. Especially being that I'm like the Janitor in my store, I do as much moving of crap and fixing of crap and cleaning of crap as I can.

Today:

15 minute stretch.

6 minute rope-skip.

5 mile run.

**Interruption - Right before I was set to devise a routine sans heavybag (until I replace the old one) a City Official stops in front of my house and oozes out of his car. Fucker must have been 340lbs of sweaty chewed bubble-gum. Then he asks me all these stupid questions about my garage. Told him it's been a gym room for about 7 years. Then he says it's an illegal conversion. Illegal. I own the fucking property. So he asks to inspect it and asks me about the electricity, elevation, etc. I think this fat fucker saw two things when he drove by. One is something to do, two is potential cash as everyone in the neighborhood knows I box. I turned it around and started interrogating him about the particulars that make my garage illegal, and this is when he said if I just shut the garage door he'd walk away. Probably didn't want to get his ass kicked. I hate when people hassle me for no viable reason. When shit like this happens nine times out of ten it's just someone on the State payroll trying to make a little extra scratch and earn a promotion or something.

So needless to say with the time spent with this doofus my workout ended here. Fuckers.

When a door closes, a window is opened; you lost your heavybag, then a 340lbs gel-cover bag presented itself to you. What a bastard!

lol Yeah I should have beat his ass but then I don't need to be in jail...again.

Today:

15 minute stretch.

10 minute rope-skip.
(Mixing sprints, speed jumping, crosses, and rope frog-jumps.)

6 round double-end bag.

6 round speed-bag.

4 round Shadowboxing.

Tidbits: If today seems kind of light it's because I feel like a cold WANTS to come down on me but my body is like "uh-uh bitch" so I got the scratchy throat and keep spitting snot but don't feel terrible. I didn't run because I don't like to do distance cardio if I feel like I might be getting sick. So I used today for two purposes, one is to find weaknesses in coordination and hand-speed, and oh did I find them. Especially once I start getting winded, my style goes downhill.

Also I have this brand new pair of Adidas Tygun Boxing shoes that I neglected to break-in. So I wanted to do that with my routine. Man they feel great, but they're so pretty I don't want to mess them up. lol

Tomorrow I'll rest up and Thursday when my partner comes down I'll double-up on the intensity.

King Kabuki said:
Today:

15 minute stretch.

10 minute rope-skip.
(Mixing sprints, speed jmping, crosses, and rope frog-jumps.)

6 round double-end bag.

6 round speed-bag.

4 round Shadowboxing.

Tidbits: If today seems kind of light it's because I feel like a cold WANTS to come down on me but my body is like "uh-uh bitch" so I got the scratchy throat and keep spitting snot but don't feel terrible. I didn't run because I don't like to do distance cardio if I feel like I might be getting sick. So I used today for two purposes, one is to find weaknesses in coordination and hand-speed, and oh did I find them. Especially once I start getting winded, my style goes downhill.

Also I have this brand new pair of Adidas Tygun Boxing shoes that I neglected to break-in. So I wanted to do that with my routine. Man they feel great, but they're so pretty I don't want to mess them up. lol

Tomorrow I'll rest up and Thursday when my partner comes down I'll double-up on the intensity.

Zicam will help the cold symptoms and it's supposed to cut the time you have the cold in half or some shit. It seems to work for me.

I got plenty crap from where I work at that works like a charm. But thanks for the recommendation.

I was browsing through my Ringside catalogue last week looking for some new and affordable shoes and I saw the Tyguns, too. Sold for 80 bucks, mid-cut, black white and red coloured... how are you liking them so far and what'd you pay for them?

Also, do you do regular core work? I remember reading about you using the ab wheel, which I definitely recommend to anyone reading this.

Lastly, any grip work/hand strengthening stuff? Levering, sledgehammer intervals, pinching, tearing, etc, hey even some knuckle/fingertip push-ups for wrist/finger strength?

great log man, keep up the good work

I paid $65 for mine brand new, but I had to wait on them a bit because they came from England. Bought them through E-gay.

I do core work, a lot of leg-lifts, ab-rollouts (I attempt them the way Ross Enamait does them, it's a bitch, but I do regular crunches on them, too), and I do the saxon side-bends, and I'm going to be implementing this crunch I saw Naseem Hamed do where he crunches to sitting position (crunch first, then sit-up) then stands and throws a combination and flows back down. It looks lusciously hard.

I carry a grip-strengthener all damn day. lol It keeps me from killing people as I hate society basically. Plus I use the push-up bars for all my push-ups. It SUCKS for the inverted ones. And the rafter pull-ups do a lot for my grip. But I'll be adding more things as time goes on.

Sounds good man! I saw PBF doing those same sit-ups, he'd stand at throw a pair of uppercuts. I'm looking at $70 for my tyguns, so I think it's a fair price going off of what you're saying. Thanks again, keep up the good work

Sounds good man! I saw PBF doing those same sit-ups, he'd stand at throw a pair of uppercuts. I'm looking at $70 for my tyguns, so I think it's a fair price going off of what you're saying. Thanks again, keep up the good work

You should do your own training log Bro. I'd like to see that of another Boxer around here. And yeah $70 for the Tyguns is not bad at all. When you get them let me know if you like how they feel. I like mine so much I'm going to approach Adidas about some kind of contract at some point. lol

Today:

Rested. Got a bit of a cold but I think I'll be alright by tomorrow.

Today:

10 minute stretch.

2 minute rope-skip.

2 round double-end bag.

2 round speed-bag.

2 round Shadowboxing.

Tidbits: Still kinda feel like shit today but I didn't want to just do nothing at all. I'm off tomorrow which is good. I can sleep in and be pretty well-recovered. And I know now how I got sick, my training partner and his wife are both bed-ridden as I type this. lol

Today:

Just did a 5 mile run.

This cold went to my head and is persisting there. Body feels fine but I get dizzy quick. Good thing is it's only the second day of actual sickness, and when it all goes to my nose and forehead that's usually a sign it's almost over.

If you find colds getting in the way of your training more often then you'd like, you might consider trying cold water dousing. Here's some info I dug up from the bowels of my computer (sorry for cluttering up your log with it):

Heres some stuff on cold water that I copied ages ago, so as to note this wasn't written by me....

Cold water treatments have a special tonic-like magic of exerting a remunerative and healing effect on the entire system.
Here is a list of benefits:
1.stimulation of the glandular system
2.stimulates circulation, increases muscle tone and nerve force
3.improves digestion and speeds up metabolism
4.increases immune system and builds resistance to illness
5.increases the blood count
6.brain and central nervous system stimulation
7.has an electro-magnetic effect on the body, stimulating the flow of life energies (ki, chi, pranayama etc.)
8. Increases oxygen intake to the tissues

There are several ways to take cold water treatments, including cold showers, but the best way is the Russian body hardening technique of pouring a 5 gallon bucket of cold water over the body, preferably out doors. This brief shock raises internal body temperature as high as 108 degrees (a flash fever) for several seconds. This would kill off any "bugs" trying to invade the system.

This is severe training and should be initiated in June or July when it is easy, the water is warm and you can gradually adapt to it. As the weather gets colder, your body toughens up. The anticipation is the worst part

Go outside with a heavy robe and fill a five gallon bucket. Quickly disrobe and grab the bucket. Start by slowly pouring the water over abdomen, chest, head and down the back. This must be done slowly to induce the gasp reflex. Now massage yourself with your hands and shake the water from your body as you hand dry as much water as possible. Finish by giving yourself a vigorous rub down with a coarse towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back