The King's 3-month Crunch. (Boxing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colds aren't a problem with me. This is the first time I've been sick in about 4 years, and I caught a virus from my training partner, so it was optimal conditions that day to be infected. But I appreciate the info nonetheless.

Rested - but feel almost 100% better.

Today:

Warm-up day back from being sick. I feel good, strong again, but didn't want to push...tomorrow I'll do a full routine:

15 minute stretch.

5 minute rope-skip.

4.2 mile run.

Heavybag Rounds 101
(My step-dad is a former Pan American Games Boxer, so when he saw my heavybag down he immediately went on a mission to get it back up. Well, in round 3 of this morning's routine the thing is back on the floor again. HA HA! I told him I just hit too hard for it now and need a heavier bag. Which I'm going to buy in the morning.)

4 round double-end bag.

3 round speed-bag.

2 round Shadowboxing.

10 rafter pull-ups.

20 push-ups.

Tidbits: Florida's temperatures are fluctuating again and because of the construction of my garage it's always 20 degrees lower in there than it is outside unless the humidity is high, at which point it's 20 degrees hotter. So I trained in slightly heavy clothing. Bodyglove shirt, long sleeve shirt over, and basic wind-breaker pants. Sweated like a Pimp with one ho' though.

Back to 100% bitches.

Today:

10 minute stretch.

3 minute skip-rope.

7.15 mile run
(3 minutes of which were back-pedaling)

Heavybag Rounds 101
(fixed my heavybag, budget prevented me from getting a new one)

4 rounds double-end bag.

8 minutes continuous speed bag.
(getting faster)

12 rafter pull-ups
(HA!)

Weights/Strength:

Standing dumbbell curls:
- 4 sets of 10
(counting every other rep as one)

Seated dumbbell curl:
- 3 sets of 20 per arm

Overhead tricep hammer-curl:
- 3 sets of 20 per arm

Tricep kickbacks:
- 2 sets of 20 per arm

Weighted shoulder shrugs:
- 2 sets of 20 rotating forward
- 2 sets of 20 rotating backward
(alternating)

Frontwards raises: (focusing on trap and lat flexes)
- 4 sets of 10 counting every other rep as one

20 push-ups, 10 with the bars facing horizontal to my view, 10 with them facing vertical to my view.

Tidbits: Felt really good to be back at full health, though still spitting some crud from the back of my throat. The run felt really good and I was soaked but not winded after. Felt good to have my lungs all opened up and not sneeze or tear-up every time I breathed in. I gotta hit hard over the next couple weeks. March is not too far off here.

Oh yeah and I got a 4-pack now. All I gotta do is burn that last layer of fat off my waist.

Why wouldn't I?

The isolated movements of curls and kickbacks do two things. 1) strengthen my arms. I have a particular style of defense, and I need my arms to be as solid as possible. 2) They work very well for muscular definition. My arms have hardened quite a bit since adding this to my Boxing plyometrics.

I don't use weights to be lifting heavy, that's not a requisite of Boxing. I'm looking specifically to accentuate my Boxing, both in-terms of punching and in-terms of the style of defense I use. Nothing more.

wouldn't variations of pull/chin ups and push ups or dips be better.

I do those. Read my whole log. I can't do dips because I have no apparatus. But I do a lot of variations of push-ups and also vary my grip on the rafter pull-ups.

i read your log whenever i log in. i just wondered why you'd do those two isolation exercises with that rep range when theres loads of really good and tough bodyweight exercises which would be better. by the way when's your 1st fight?

Depends on the assessment I get in March. But probably sometime over the Summer, Spring if they think I'm good enough.

Looking good, KK. First you kick your bag's ass, then your cold's... your first opponent should be shaking in his booties.

About the dips: I had a similar problem, so initially I used two chairs weighed down and held the "L sit" position so that I could go to 90 degrees at the elbow. This worked well, dips worked as usual, but the L sit also targeted alot of core muscles, and when you're doing any high-rep sets (finisher, warm-up, dynamic effort, whatever) you get a good tension in your entire core. Also, just recently I was lucky enough to find two cabinets that around about waist-height for my dips, but you could use anything, really... two cars side by side, the corner of a counter top, etc.

Keep up the good work man

King- how often are you actually doing sparring sessions/actual "boxing" classes amongst this routine?

King- how often are you actually doing sparring sessions/actual "boxing" classes amongst this routine?

Boxing classes? lol I been Boxing since I was 12 bro, no classes. I explored other Arts, but Boxing is always what I did when it was time to throw hands. Had the chance to go Pro when I was 19 but turned it down because I was STUPID. In terms of sparring, no sparring yet. That's what the camp I'm going to do in Vegas will be for. From March to whenever, I'm going to be working with Vilho MaGee if all goes as planned (Pro Fighter who posts here on occasion), and we're both going to do everything to get each other ring-ready. His gym, there's always ranked fighters training there, so I anticipate getting killed for like the first week. But I got talent, and I'll be in shape, so I should fare well.

About the dips: I had a similar problem, so initially I used two chairs weighed down and held the "L sit" position so that I could go to 90 degrees at the elbow. This worked well, dips worked as usual, but the L sit also targeted alot of core muscles, and when you're doing any high-rep sets (finisher, warm-up, dynamic effort, whatever) you get a good tension in your entire core. Also, just recently I was lucky enough to find two cabinets that around about waist-height for my dips, but you could use anything, really... two cars side by side, the corner of a counter top, etc.

Keep up the good work man

Hey that's not a bad idea. I got chairs. And I forgot all about it. Looks like someone else is broke as I am. lol I'll give it a shot.

I didnt mean classes in terms of having to learn anything - more sparring & as you put it "ring readiness".

As a judoka I can train weights and practice technique 5x per week but unless I am actually sparring it is practically useless. In judo the best training for judo is - judo. You can be a well-conditioned fighter just by attending many sparring sessions and fighting.

Hence I was wondering if you are also sparring a few times per week as well as doing this routine. I'm surprised to learn you train for boxing without actually boxing (if you know what I mean). Perhaps judo/grappling is more reliant on a partner for effective training than boxing/striking.

Thanks for the clarification - sorry for cluttering up your log with striking n00b questions/observations.

Hence I was wondering if you are also sparring a few times per week as well as doing this routine. I'm surprised to learn you train for boxing without actually boxing (if you know what I mean). Perhaps judo/grappling is more reliant on a partner for effective training than boxing/striking.

Thanks for the clarification - sorry for cluttering up your log with striking n00b questions/observations.

It's not that I'm training for Boxing without actually Boxing. Right now I'm just focused on getting down to weight. Believe me, the Camp we're going to do is going to have all the sparring I can handle. But this log is about getting in-shape first before going down the path of sparring quality opponents. I'm going to be sparring ranked fighters. It's a little different.

When I did other Arts, sparring was one of my staple practices. When I taught, it was mandatory every session. I LOVE sparring. But right now I need to get up-to-speed conditioning-wise so a Promoter will take one look at me and see money. Then I'll even get the chance to show my skill in the gym. The Pro Boxing World is a little different. If you want to make headway fast you have to walk in at ring-shape, or else you've got a long road ahead of you. I don't have that kind of time.

The King needs new running shoes...

Today:

Fuck stretching. Just REALLY didn't feel like it.

3 minute rope-skip.

2 rounds Shadowboxing.

5 mile run.

Heavybag Rounds 101
**Now doing 5 to 6 minute rounds, fuck you PBF and your 15-minute round sparring with 4 different opponents!
(the 6th round has turned into pure fun for me, digging bodyshots as hard as I can while cheating my ass off, elbowing the bag in ways the referee will never dream of seeing, lol)

4 rounds double-end bag.

3 rounds speed bag.

12 rafter pull-ups.
(I WILL hit 20 by the end of the month.)

20 push-ups.

20 back-dips.

20 dips.

Tidbits: The addition of dips I like. I feel good. Not even breathing heavy directly after the workouts (of course I do cool down for a few minutes after the last exercise and kill whatever water I have left). I feel right now like if I had to spar later on I could go 6-8 rounds if needs be. I'd be tired, but I could do a lot of work on technique. Good times.

king, whats your height and reach. And what sort of weight are you looking to fight at?

Two of those questions are answered in the first post in the log homie.

Reach? Not sure, haven't had it measured in recent years.

The King knew today would yield results...

Today:

10 minute stretch.

3 minute skip-rope.

2 rounds Shadowboxing.

**Didn't run today on account of bad weather.

Heavybag Rounds 101.
(4 to 6 minute rounds)

4 rounds double-end bag.

10 minute continuous speed bag.

Weights/Strength

15 rafter pull-ups.
(I WILL get to 20 before the month is over.)

Dumbbell flies:
3 sets of 20.

Dumbbell flies with twist-up:
3 sets of 20.

Saxon side-bends:
3 sets of 20
(alternating sides, 20 per side)

**1 hand-stand push-up with no wall support.

Leg-lifts:
2 sets of 25.

100 reps on the ab-roller.

50 side-to-side reps on the ab-roller.
(25 each side)

5 full ab-rollouts.

20 push-ups with hand-position variations.

Tidbits: I wanted to see how far I could go on core day. Everything was running smooth and I noticed I felt particularly strong. I normally do the inverted push-ups with wall support. But I figured "what the Hell?" I should try and see if I could do a hand-stand push-up with no wall support. Being at a ligther weight than I've been in years, and my upper-body being stronger than ever, plus being no stranger to being dumped on my head, I decided there was nothing to lose. The actual push-up was easy, what sucked was trying to stay balanced during it. So needless to say I will be doing more of these.

Which reminds me. I watched Oceans Twelve last night. I've seen many movies with Capoeira segments in them but I've never seen one where a guy does the motions very slowly and fluently. I was watching the dude's footwork and liked it. I think I'm going to take it up sometime, always been fascinated by it and I think it'll do wonders for both my balance and bodyweight strength conditioning.

I'm pretty satisfied with my progress, and right now figure getting paid to do this wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back