Opinion the hypocrisy of the consumers of news

IGIT

Silver Belt
Reaction score
hi everyone, i hope you're all having a nice day!

i had a quick question for all of you - do any of you make a regular habit of reading NPR, ProPublica or PBS?

a question that pops up from time to time here in the War Room is one poster challenging another with a "what press do you follow" inquiry. i have to say, i'm a little depressed how rarely they answer with three sources i listed in my opener.

the reason i am asking is that there is regular lament about the nature of the MSM; of how errant the information is, of how ideologically biased it is, of how its inundated with trashy click bait headlines, and how tightly it exists in the grip of corporate ownership.

the existence of lousy news sources, ones that are rich in partisan misinformation, is only possible because that's what most of America is consuming. that's what the consumer wants.

with all the informed commentary on what CNN is doing, i figure that's what most of you are watching and reading. so you all watch and read CNN and then log on to complain about CNN.

why not just address your grievances by turning on the radio and listening to some boring 'ol NPR?

if you actually believe the information presented on NPR is accurate, there'd be a good deal of agreement on any number of issues here in the WR.

anyways, just curious.

- IGIT

hi everyone, i hope you're all having a nice day!

i had a quick question for all of you - do any of you make a regular habit of reading NPR, ProPublica or PBS?

a question that pops up from time to time here in the War Room is one poster challenging another with a "what press do you follow" inquiry. i have to say, i'm a little depressed how rarely they answer with three sources i listed in my opener.

the reason i am asking is that there is regular lament about the nature of the MSM; of how errant the information is, of how ideologically biased it is, of how its inundated with trashy click bait headlines, and how tightly it exists in the grip of corporate ownership.

the existence of lousy news sources, ones that are rich in partisan misinformation, is only possible because that's what most of America is consuming. that's what the consumer wants.

with all the informed commentary on what CNN is doing, i figure that's what most of you are watching and reading. so you all watch and read CNN and then log on to complain about CNN.

why not just address your grievances by turning on the radio and listening to some boring 'ol NPR?

if you actually believe the information presented on NPR is accurate, there'd be a good deal of agreement on any number of issues here in the WR.

anyways, just curious.

- IGIT
I agree NPR is a good source. Inb4 complaints it is too left leaning.

I get news from NPR.

But you will find a lot of people here do not like NPR and prefer cable news. Even though they claim to hate the spin and bias, they actively seek it out in all of their news sources.

It’s like you said, NPR is boring. Cable news is more like a trashy reality show.

With that being said, the WSJ, CBS, NPR, Bloomberg, and on a different level Google News are the ones I find highly reliable and consist with their articles or reporting. They're the only ones that don't make me double check the veracity of a story once reading it.

Bloomberg is hands down one of the greatest mainstream outlets on the planet for journalism on geopolitics, financial markets and high technology industries in particular. The domestic and social stuff is alright (usually irrelevant anyway), just discern news from opinion pieces.

Yes. I believe that at least one person here does so.

The fact that you had to put that last sentence in there says a lot about how they are viewed.

I get all my important news from Sherdog WR, and the Wiki. Actually Yahoo will have some headliners on front page too.

Bloomberg is hands down one of the greatest mainstream outlets on the planet for journalism on geopolitics, financial markets and high technology industries in particular. The domestic and social stuff is alright (usually irrelevant anyway), just discern news from opinion pieces.
Rich people watch Bloomberg and rich people don’t like to be lied to.

I've listened to npr for 20 years. Of course it leans left, but it's still better than cable news.

The best news is AM 950 and WWJ and what many would say are right leaning outlets, because they report more straight fact than anybody, until their talking head shows come on.

hello there Hunter Simpson,

it can be a little boring to some. i remember watching CNN once during the 2016 campaign and thinking to myself that they sure do alot of fun graphics - and on Fox, all those miniskirts/glass tables/weirdly low camera angles, probably are alot of fun.

i like NPR, though.

i guess i was wondering if those who claim that the only source of "fair" coverage emanate from places like Fox or Townhall.com see NPR as a reasonably balanced and accurate news.

- IGIT

I get news from NPR.

But you will find a lot of people here do not like NPR and prefer cable news. Even though they claim to hate the spin and bias, they actively seek it out in all of their news sources.

It’s like you said, NPR is boring. Cable news is more like a trashy reality show.

hello nac386,

the bolded, 100%.

i don't understand it. NPR (and PBS and Propublica) are not owned by some massive, multizillion dollar corporate entity.

they present the news, and at times, engage in long form journalism where they try to explore context. there are less bells and whistles and a helluva lot less editorializing than cable news.

whats not to like?*

- IGIT

* - the answer, of course, is that they lack the white knuckled partisan bias that everyone claims to hate, but actually seek out when they're not busy pontificating in blanket statements about the awful bias in the media.

I get news from NPR.

Does anyone remember how insanely boring CNN was in the early 2000s?

hiya NoDak,

i used to get Bloomberg (the magazine) delivered to my office and i agree that its a solid source to go to.

however...

...its obvious that a large segment of the War Room disagrees, because the content of their posting contradicts so much of the reporting that goes on in that periodical.

- IGIT

if it's corporate backed, they are straight up shills (left or right)

pretty much undeniable at this pt

Does anyone remember how insanely boring CNN was in the early 2000s?

heya Trotsky,

i remember the original Crossfire fondly.

i liked watching Novak and Kinsley kick around topics.

- IGIT

The fact that you had to put that last sentence in there says a lot about how they are viewed.

hello Seano,

it says alot about how they are viewed by folks like yourself, you mean.

i get it though.

so you're saying that National Public Radio is part of the lamestream left, yes?

- IGIT

I get all my important news from Sherdog WR, and the Wiki. Actually Yahoo will have some headliners on front page too.

hio MadSquabbles500,

Yahoo news, along with Google news, i think are rated number 1 and 2 for internet news. alot of folks apparently get their news there, though i haven't. are they good sources and unbiased, in your view?

also, the WR is not a good place to get your news, but its an interesting place to see how people react to it.

- IGIT

Rich people watch Bloomberg and rich people don’t like to be lied to.

herro emefer,

also, and perhaps most importantly, rich people can do something about it, when they are lied to.

- IGIT

Back