The Hierarchy Of Muay Thai Brands?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Keej613, Jan 16, 2012.

1. curryNinja

curryNinja White Belt

Thanks for the replies guys! I've decided to use my Fairtex for bags and Twins for sparring instead. I would've loved to try the Windys if international shipping wasn't the cost of the gloves themselves.

2. Chungungo

Chungungo Getting some snow

So Venum and Hayabusa come very low in the list and are mostly look?
    i have been asking around many thread but I

3. fmeffects

fmeffects Yellow Belt

4. Chungungo

I know but I am checking my options, cannot get those awesome brands here...

5. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

If you can't get thai brands and are choosing between Venum and Hayabusa.....go Hayabusa Tokushu.

6. Chungungo

Mmm thank

7. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

8. IMTyson

IMTyson White Belt

9. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

Unless you count Venum's claim that the gloves were designed in Thailand....lol:D

10. IMTyson

IMTyson White Belt

I don't think I would, I mean they don't even call or describe them as Muay Thai gloves do they? Where a product was designed isn't that representative of its true roots.

11. Chungungo

Not so bad but there are reviews in Sherdog about Ikusa, Tokushu and Kanpeki and the last one seems the best as is made by leather.

12. Chungungo

In my country all stores say that , made in Thailand , Buffalo leather...
    Anyway is the only thing we have here , sadly twins and other Muay Thai brands are super hard to get...

13. StRatoCastR

StRatoCastR Gear Tester/Reviewer

Nah they are a full fledged mma brand. Venum nappa leather is super nice though

14. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Kinda off-topic, but Venum's MT shorts are pretty nice and Thai-made. Not very Thai-looking aesthetics (like my friend said, not "fobby" LOL), but definitely Thai cut and Thai quality materials and workmanship.

15. throwinpunches

throwinpunches White Belt

I am looking for training gloves 14-16 oz. Genuine leather, lace-ups (preferred), the works. My hands are 10 inches all around at the widest part of the palms and about 7.25 inches from base of palm to tip of the middle finger, so I believe that is pretty big.

So what I need is a good sturdy pair of gloves that I can use on bag n pads with a fairly large hand compartment. Def not artificial leather or PVC. Not fussy about brands.

Now the thing is a friend of mine is visiting Thailand and he knows next to nothing about gear so I need to give him pretty firm n straight instructions.

I'd be very grateful if any of you could tell me which brands, which shops/ stadiums etc my friend can buy from.

Also, are there any duty free shops to pick up gear from?

16. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

If your friend is going to Bangkok, tell him to go to Action Zone which is 3 long blocks west of National Stadium BTS station on the south side of the street, Rama I Rd. Best deals you can find in the entire world on Muay Thai equipment. I recommend the Twins BGGL1. Get them in 16 oz.; they'll feel tight at first, but once they're broken in, it will be a semi-custom fit and one of the best feeling gloves you've ever worn. My hands are 8 inches long from base of the metacarpals (palm) to the tip of the middle finger with a 9 inch circumference around the metacarpal heads (knuckles) and the BGGL1 fit very well. Barring that, you can also look into the Fairtex BGL7, although you may have to write to have it made-to-order as it's not a common model. And if you're trying to get a custom model, you may as well get the Fairtex BGL6 custom-made in 16 oz. But if your friend is clueless about gear, just stick with the Twins BGGL1 -- they're a common model and the top choice of most of the major Thai camps and the official glove supplier for Lumpinee and Rajadamnern Stadiums!

P.S. Tell your friend to avoid the duty free shops, especially the King Power ones. He'll get ripped off badly and maybe even extorted and threatened in them. Shop where the locals shop, it'll be cheaper and they will be less chance of getting ripped off (or if ripped off, not as badly).

17. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

Tell me more about the extortion and threats...lol. That interests me more than this whole thread.

18. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Some tourists were accused of shoplifting in the store or something and "arrested" by security and taken to an off-site hotel room where some Indian guy that spoke both English and Thai convinced them to confess in some sort of plea bargain involving thousands of dollars as opposed to being handed over to the authorities or something. :eek:

Seriously though, Thailand is the land of scams. Anything from little scams (tourist rates vs. local rates for admission to places like, well, Rajadamnern Stadium LOL) to big scams (like the above-mentioned and more!). Folks really ought to be careful over there haha.

19. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

Sounds like something out of "Locked Up Abroad"....lol.

20. throwinpunches

throwinpunches White Belt

Twins & Fairtex may be a little out of my range. I am hoping I don't have to pay more than US$50. Can you tell if any models by Windy, Boon, Sandee, Raja, Thaismai will suffice? I understand that Sandee does not make lace-up training gloves, so that makes it go lower on my preference board.

Also, I'd like to know about this: I have heard some of the stadiums have shops within. Are those any good?