The Hierarchy Of Muay Thai Brands?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by Keej613, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Taskmaster99

Taskmaster99 Brown Belt

Windy, Boon and Raja are all good brands!!!! Higher than Sandee and Thaismai on the list.

2. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

Well Rajadamnern stadium has a Twins shop. But you are better off getting Twins through Actionzone where it'll be 10%+ cheaper. There are also shops at the new Lumpini stadium, but I'm not sure which brands as I haven't been there.

If you want Boon gloves, 16oz lace-ups should cost around $40 (1,380 baht) at the Boon shop. Actionzone also carries Boon, so you may be able to pick them up there too. I don't know if there is a Windy shop in BKK any longer (it used to be at the old lumpini, it may be at the new one) but you can get windy at Actionzone and some of the other sports stores near Actionzone. And I have no idea where to find Raja in BKK now that Twins has taken over Rajadamnern stadium.

3. throwinpunches

throwinpunches White Belt

oh that's scary.... I guess that song 'One Night in Bangkok' isn't totally wrong eh.... hahaha.... but would they pull that sort of shit on an Indian guy? Like Indian from India...

4. throwinpunches

I have heard that Windy gloves have roomy hand compartments. How about Boon and Raja? I know Top King is rather tight. I have fairly big hands and I wrap well using non-elastic wraps.

5. arusha

arusha White Belt

actually I wouldn't say windy are mostly roomy...

6. throwinpunches

No? What would you suggest then?

7. arusha

arusha White Belt

the best suggestion already has been made - 16-18oz. Twins + nice wraps and break them in. Saving 20 dollars on gloves is unwise.

8. DC413

DC413 Orange Belt

My Windy's have a pretty roomy hand compartment, but I also have a model that I believe was made fore sale outside of Thailand.

Boon's tend to be short in the hand compartment, so if you have long fingers they may not be a good choice. I'd caution against Boon if your hands from base of palm to middle finger tip are over 7.5"

9. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

I got my Twins 16 oz BGVL3 for $33 and Fairtex 16 oz BGV1 were running about $50 last time I was at Actionzone. Of course, that was with purchase of other gear (specifically a pair of shinguards and a pair of shorts; she also threw in a free T-shirt) and some friendly bargaining. I had a Thai friend get Twins 16 oz BGVL3 a couple years ago for about $25 a pair (bargaining in Thai and buying 6 pairs). Twins is definitely NOT out of your price range in Thailand, believe me. No reason to buy one of the smaller brands as they will not be cheaper than Twins.

As for the stadium shops, they're very well-supplied but not as cheap as Actionzone, although they will definitely be cheaper than buying abroad or at tourist traps (like the department stores).

If you don't look Thai in Thailand or speak at least conversational Thai, be prepared to be ripped off LOL. If you act like a jerk or a mark, then expect to be straight picked on too haha.

10. throwinpunches

It's been interesting and instructive, this whole experience of posting my queries on sherdog G&E. Thank you very much, all of you, for responding with such sincerity. Hoping to lay my hands on a spanking new pair of Twins BGLL1 or Fairtex BGL7s or something as good. Thanks again. Will post the gear if I get it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  11. Chungungo

Chungungo Getting some snow

I agree with you specially having small hands the only downside in my 16oz Twins is that they

12. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

13. Chungungo

Chungungo Getting some snow

Ah I see, Twins has nice support there ;)

14. destroyer4147

destroyer4147 Orange Belt

Thaismai.jpg
    I contacted Thaismai through their Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/thaismaishop/

I inquired the cost of 1 pair 16 ounce Velcro gloves in leather. This was their response.

I always thought Thaismai was one of the "cheaper" Thailand-made brands. Does $58 sound right? And if they can be gotten cheaper, any suggestions?

Very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

15. makedansure

makedansure Blue Belt

I've only had experience with their bag mitts. I've tried Windy's bag mitts, and I would have to say that Thaismai's were simpler, but I liked them a lot more. I have no experience with their thai gloves.

16. iFossil

iFossil Orange Belt

Yes, that is the right quote. Apparently they aren't the cheaper or less-quality Thai brand company that most people has the misconception of.

They are a quality Thai company, just not as widely known and as easy to access like the others, but I've heard many that have said they aren't the cheaper version of anything.

Thaismai is Thaismai and they are a legit Thai company.

Minowafanatic and scarphe like this.
  17. scarphe

scarphe White Belt

I would just like to join the chorus. Thaismai is a quality brand. Several better and younger members of my muay gym often take part in the high end competitions in thailand and they always come back with a pair of twins but always two pairs of thaismai on request of the coach.

Minowafanatic and iFossil like this.
  18. destroyer4147

destroyer4147 Orange Belt

Thanks for all the replies. I should have been more clear. By "cheaper," I meant "less expensive" as I had always been made to understand that Thaismai typically cost less than Windy and Twins.

By no means did I mean that it was of "lesser quality," as I had always known that Thaismai was one of the oldest Thai brands with a reputation of having good quality.

I guess $58 is fair then, based on everyone's replies. Thanks again guys.

19. muaythaimall

muaythaimall Muay Thai Gear Shop Bangkok

The hierarchy of Muay Thai brands. It's all completely subjective. Nike, Reebok, Adidas; who make better shoes? The quality is fairly close between all the brand. Sometimes factories have an issue with the leather or Velcro. Maybe one lady on a sewing machine doesn't stitch as well as the girl on the other production line. They're all hand made so they always differ slightly.

Thaismai gloves are great. Windy are great. They're cheaper but it doesn't mean the quality is less.

There is one brand I won't mention that makes absolute overpriced crap but hey I don't want to get sued but you can probably figure it out.

Ryukyu Damashi likes this.
  20. muaythaimall

muaythaimall Muay Thai Gear Shop Bangkok

Just to add, if you want to talk the hierarchy of brands based on price then it is as follows:

1. Fairtex
    2. Top King
    3. Twins Special
    4. Raja, Windy, Thaismai, Boon (as they are all very similar in price)