The fighter not from your time you like the most

Genki Sudo. Well, I started watching MMA around '05, but I didn't find out about him until later, and I would have already missed most of his career anyway.

220px-Masahiko_Kimura_(1917-1993).jpg

This. Would have loved to have been around for Kimura vs. Gracie in 1951. Must have been like UFC 1 times a million:

Both of these guys were warriors but holy hell, Kimura straight up sons Gracie, with or without weight advantage. He's never NOT in top control or threatening a sub. Would be awesome if there were still guys like Kimura or Mitsuyo Maeda around to throw down and keep things interesting in MMA.

It's always bugged me that the Gracies appropriated this fight as BJJ propaganda when they in fact lost the fight convincingly to the Judo fighter. Rener and Ryron have a biased video where they talk about how much of a badass Helio was since Kimura outweighed him by 500 lbs.

There are translated versions of Kimura's side, where he talks about getting numerous death threats and people throwing rotten food and garbage at him walking to the ring. And he was expecting floor to be traditional wood, which would have allowed him to hurt Helio with throws, but instead was made to fight on a really soft floor which favored the ground game.

Last edited:
I’ve been watching UFC since the early days but I didn’t watch it like I do now. I have to agree someone like Bas Rutten would be my choice too. My focus was on the names like Coleman, Abbot, and Rizzo. I really wish I had a time machine to kick myself in the ass for that.

I started watching in 1998, so for me they were of my time, but back then for sure Bas, Shamrock, and MANY more

Bas and Fedor. Sadly the first fight of Fedor's I saw live was against Rogers and I missed bas's whole career but having watched their old fights Im a fan of both.

I grew up watching boxing with my father in the 80s and picked up on MMA right around UFC 3, but I never really got into kickboxing or muay Thai or any of the sports that didn't become popular in the US until the last decade or so. So I think I'll go with Ernesto Hoost.

Name here the fighters you did not watched fighting but know from replays and highlights you like the most. I say mine is Chuck Liddell, I started watching MMA right after Silva front-kicked Belfort to another dimension, Chuck had already retired, but by watching his fights I could tell he always bring it to the 8.

I think it has to be Igor Vovchanchyn. Crazy, you get the feeling he would fight anyone, literally.

I guess Igor, although i saw his fights from 2003 on, he was pretty much past his prime by then. One of the greatest fighters never really recognized, the proto fedor.

I dont think I have one, i've watched em all from the start

Back