The Definitive Multivitamin Thread

All of these multivitamins are formulated for healthy young males I assume.

I was just wondering if any of you guys know what a good multi would be for middle aged women. My mother is always sick and suffers from poor nutrition. Her bloodwork just came in and her triglycerides are very high and her HDL is very low. I've got her to start taking fish oil and cut out carbs from her diet, but I really want to go the extra mile here and get her the best stuff out there.

Can anybody suggest an appropriate multi? Has anyone else researched supps for their family members (mother, father, grands)? I want to share the nutrition with the rest of the family.

Has anyone tried Nutritox's 6 a Day Athlete Multi Vitamins? In the "tips" section of this thread, it met everything that was reccommended except it is B12(cyanocobalamin)
I've heard mixed reviews of cyanocobalamin however, is this good or bad? I see it in almost everything I look at though too. Thanks for everything!

All of these multivitamins are formulated for healthy young males I assume.

I was just wondering if any of you guys know what a good multi would be for middle aged women. My mother is always sick and suffers from poor nutrition. Her bloodwork just came in and her triglycerides are very high and her HDL is very low. I've got her to start taking fish oil and cut out carbs from her diet, but I really want to go the extra mile here and get her the best stuff out there.

Can anybody suggest an appropriate multi? Has anyone else researched supps for their family members (mother, father, grands)? I want to share the nutrition with the rest of the family.

Vita Vim for women 50+ would be great for her.

turbozed: I think the biggest difference between male and female nutrition intake would be iron, certainly from brands of the same multivitamin, that's the main thing that differs when it comes to gender specific formulas. So, if she doesn't have an iron deficiency, then giving her a mens formula should be sufficient. As for age specific ones, the concentrations of vitamins is usually higher, but if you can't find one for that, I wouldn't say it's a big issue. Things like exercise and eating properly (less carbs/meat, lots of citrus fruits and veggies) is more vital.

edit: So...basically just give her some of yours if you can't find a good womens multi locally or any womens version of the ones listed, but I see someone made a recommendation

reeves: I personally wouldn't buy either, the second one is pricey and the concentrations of some stuff is over the top. the first one has iron in it...i wouldn't take anything that has iron in it

I've had to overhaul the FAQ section regarding multivitamins/mineral supplements due to size restrictions, so I figured it was about time to dedicate a complete thread to this topic. Props to Mr. Sinister for laying the groundwork on this multivitamin section.

Some Recommended Brands

1) GNC Ultra Mega Green - Most Americans just do not get enough greens. Plain and simple. This is another Vitamin with whole food nutrients in it.

2) Garden of Life's Living Multi - Notice a theme here? I hate the idea of purely synthetic vitamins. If you can score a good one with whole food nutrients you're going to find the health benefits a bit better. This is a good one. Garden of Life is a good line of things anyway, very reputable.

3) Nature's Plus - Source of Life - The customers who use this never, ever consider taking another one. And yet again another whole food source Vitamin.

4) New Roots - Multi-Max - Top quality multi using methyl B, P5P, Mg citrate, in a encapsulated multiple-dose formula. (Canadian)

5) Platnium Naturals - Active EasyMulti Plus
- Encapsulated gelcap using methyl B, Mg carbonate. (Canadian)

6) Nu-Life - Ultimate One for Men
- Althought it's tabulated, this is an excellent multi containing coenzyme forms of B2,B6,B12, along with highly bioavailable forms of ALL minerals; as an example, magnesium citrate/malate, bisglycinate. (Canadian)

===>Other recommended brands by Sherdog posters can be found in this thread.

Now, cheap? What will suffice? Well you have GNC's Mega Men, Twinlab's Daily Two, Solgar has a decent multi (Solgar is actually an excellent line but they tend to be pricey as well as they come from Japan.)

Some tips:
  • Look for a capsuled multi, not a compressed pill. One word: digestibility. Some pill forms WILL have great dissolution, but you can never go wrong with a capsule.
  • While one-a-day are convenient, 2 or 3 a day give you a better spread out of micronutrients.
  • Check the magnesium type for quality; magnesium oxide is the cheapest form of Mg to use, therefore, it's a fairly good indication of overall quality of the rest of the ingredients. Look for magnesium citrate, aspartate, malate, or bisglycinate, which have much better bioavailability.
  • Even better, attempt to find a multi with methylcobalamin versus cyanocobalamin (aka B12). Cyanocobalamin is cobalamin (B12), bound with cyanide. Yup. Also, look for P5P, pyridoxal-5 phosphate(B6). Both of these are the biologically active forms of the vitamin. Other coenzyme forms include dibencozide(adenosylcobalamin) and hydrocobalamin.
Q: My vitamin doesn't have any of what you've listed! Am I wasting my money??!?
A: You get what you pay for with mutlivitamins. Higher bioavailable forms and coenzymes cost money, so most manufactures will default to the cheapest forms. Are you wasting your money? No, because ultimately, a multi is just nutritional insurance. But a cheap multi is NOT as good as a high-end multi; conversley, a high-end multi will NOT make up for a shitty diet.

Q: What about liquid vitamins? I heard these were the best...
A: Marketing scam; there's no advantage of liquid vitamins over regular, unless you can't swallow. Then you have more issues than trying to get a good multi. Water soluble vitamins quickly degrade in liquid form. As in, hours. That bottle that's been on the self for 8 months? Expensive water.

Q: What about iron, men, and multivitamins?
A: Men specifically should look for a multi with NO iron; we have no way to excrete excess, and levels build as we age. Excess iron has been implicated in cardiovascular disease, and hemochromatosis just plain sucks. Plus, we get plenty of heme iron from meat. Women and vegetarians are a different story.

Nice work! I workout 7 days a week and just eat garbage 24/7, so then i nearly collapse from being dizzy after a 1 mile jog my friend recommended these multi vitamins. Hope they work.

Has anyone tried those Everlast vitamins?

Great work. Thanks for the info.

Can anyone recommend a good MultVitamin you can get in England. I'll try find one using the "tips", but a brand name would be easier. Thanks.

Sorted.

Found they did Nature's Plus - Source of Life here in the U.K. Which is a first, as you can't usually get US stuff here in the U.K.

IMO you can't go past Beverly's 'Super Pak' for quality.

Time for me to reorder multi vitamins.

This is what I have been using, and I'm surprised I haven't seen much discussion about it, as it seems to be a great product at a great price:
http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsAlphabetically/M003628.htm

The only bad thing about it is the B-12 source, but I'm not terribly discouraged by that.

Some of the stickied multi's seem to be MUCH more expensive for a marginally better or equal quality product.

Just wanted to throw this out there, maybe as an addition to the sticky or if someone has anything to say against it.

That's what I'm currently taking, XT. I'm switching back to Adam when I run out. Only difference I've noticed is that my piss is brighter yellow after taking the EcoGreen. Haven't checked but I'd guess they are higher in B vitamins or I'm not absorbing them as well, for whatever reason.

Also, Adam has the "preferred" form of B12:

Vitamin B-12 (as Methylcobalamin) 250 mcg 4167%

where i live i couldnt source the brands you guys put up there, and ive ended up buying one that has iron in it. foolish i know. should i worry about this? finish the bottle then get new ones? give em to my sister?

That's what I'm currently taking, XT. I'm switching back to Adam when I run out. Only difference I've noticed is that my piss is brighter yellow after taking the EcoGreen. Haven't checked but I'd guess they are higher in B vitamins or I'm not absorbing them as well, for whatever reason.

Also, Adam has the "preferred" form of B12:

Vitamin B-12 (as Methylcobalamin) 250 mcg 4167%

I did compare the two and I noticed that. I don't take a separate greens sup though, so I decided I would probably stick with the EcoGreen caps.

Read through this entire thread, and I'm thinking about a tie between source of life and living multi for me. But I like that living multi has mushrooms + probiotics in it. But 6 capsules a day at that price breaks a college student like me, do you guys think it'll be fine to just take three a day?

I've been using Source of Life for several years now after trying out a bunch of others. I also use some greens on occasion when I feel I haven't been eating enough greens on my own. Maybe I'll give the NOW multi with greens a try to see what happpens.

A question. What is the deal with the brighter yellow pee? When I try other multi's, I tend to get this, at least early on in the day. But with Source of Life, I don't get any noticeable difference. What does that mean? Am I absorbing more of it than other multi's I've tried? That's what I've always told myself, but I really have no idea.

this is what i've been taking for a couple of months

MEGA FOOD Iron free

MGFD-30004.jpg

- 74% Whole Food.
Suggested Use: 1 tablet daily.
Supplement Facts:
Serving Size: Serving Size 1 Tablet
Amount Per Serving - % Daily Value
Vitamin A (from Vitamin A Palmitate) 5000 IU 100
Vitamin C 100 mg 167
Vitamin D3 200 IU 50
Vitamin E (from d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate) 100 IU 335
Vitamin K1 60 mcg 75
Thiamine (B-1) (from Vitamin B1 HCl) 10 mg 666
Riboflavin (B-2) 10 mg 588
Niacin 20 mg 100
Vitamin B-6 (from Vitamin B6 HCl) 10 mg 500
Folic Acid 400 mcg 100
Vitamin B-12 50 mcg 833
Biotin 300 mcg 100
Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium d-pantothenate) 20 mg 200
Calcium (from 100% Amino Acid Chelates) 50 mg 5
Iodine (from Kelp) 100 mcg 67
Magnesium (from 100% Amino Acid Chelates) 25 mg 6
Zinc (from 100% Amino Acid Chelates) 10 mg 67
Selenium (from 100% Amino Acid Chelates) 50 mcg 72
Copper (from 100% Amino Acid Chelates) 200 mcg 10
Manganese (from 100% Amino Acid Chelates) 2 mg 100
Chromium (GTF) (from 100% Amino Acid Chelates) 50 mcg 42
Molybdenum (from 100% Amino Acid Chelates) 25 mcg 33
Additional Nutrients
Beta Carotene 5000 IU
Bioflavonoids (from citrus) 100 mg
Potassium (from Amino Acid Complex) 15 mg
Inositol 10 mg
Choline (from Bitartrate) 10 mg
PABA 2 mg
Vanadium (from 100% Amino Acid Chelate) 50 mcg
Superior Foods
Alfalfa leaf 100 mg
Hydrilla verticillata 50:1 75 mg
Food Base
Alfalfa, Apple Pectin Fiber, Beet Root, Cabbage, Carrot, Flax Seed, Lemon Peel, Orange Peel, Green Papaya 3:1, Rice Bran, Shiitake 3:1, Acerola Berry Concentrate 4:1, Kudzu 10:1, Broccoli 5:1, Tomato Concentrate 4:1, Rose Hips Concentrate 4:1, Black Currant Concentrate 3:1, Cranberry Extract 25:1, Green Pepper Extract 5:1, Blueberry Concentrate 6:1, Kale, Onion 3:1, Pumpkin Seeds 4:1, Spinach 3:1, Quercetin, Rutin 100 mg
Other Ingredients: Guar Gum, Vegetable Lubricant, Food Glaze.

^that looks really good Bilder just from the ingredients, and its looking to be really cost affective for me atleast, have you noticed a difference taking it?

Best Multi for the lowest cost in the UK? Source of Life is like

Back