The Definitive Multivitamin Thread

I see cholecalciferol, which is d3. I'm looking at the link iagox9 provided. Regardless, it's a mid-grade multi. Perhaps D&S should develop a rating scale; I have a second post beyond the first saved, so a list could be compiled with ratings.

I think a rating scale would be an excellent idea, if someone has the time to set one up.. My bottle of ultra mega green (the same one advertised that link lago posted) has D2 ergocalciferol. Very interesting. Maybe they switched it.

What about liquid vitamin D? Isn't gel caps more effective than tablets? Plus, the liquid is way more cheaper than the gel caps.

Years ago, I was manager of a GNC. Ive used gnc's mega men for 8 years and still think its the best bang for the buck (if your not a vegetarian bc its iron free). Though covers the bases, some of the vitamin and mineral bonds are not the best (eg inferior cal carbonate vs superior cal citrate). Also the quantities of some are not optimal. I add extra 500mg vit c, 800mg cal citrate, 200iu vit e, and some omega 3's into the mix. I shop around for the best prices and usually Costo's got the best prices for the add ons. This vit/min/oil stack is my tried and true through years of univ football, olympic lifting, judo, boxing and currently, shift work. The add onn vit/ min/ oils dont cost too much either. It usually equals a little over a dollar a day for everything.

The make sure the cal supplement has vit d. the body cannot absord cal well without d.

:)

Liquids and powder caps are usually faster abosorbing, tablets are usually called "time released." My vit/mins are all tablet (they're usually cheaper) except for the fish oils. I do prefer the supposed "time released" benefit though.

What about liquid vitamin D? Isn't gel caps more effective than tablets? Plus, the liquid is way more cheaper than the gel caps.

Hey, it isn't submerged in water, it's submerged in MCT oil. Awesome. I think NOW liquid vitamin D-3 is the best form of VD you can take.

I still don't trust vitamins... you say insurance, I say prove it :p

I still don't trust vitamins... you say insurance, I say prove it :p

I'm pretty sure I don't NEED car insurance, because I'm a damn good driver, do it at high speeds for a living, and don't plan on crashing. I can't prove I need it because I've never been in an accident, but it's sure nice peace of mind to have. :wink:

canadapride said:

I see you answered your own question. Nice work. DDrops, a Canadian company, addresses this on their website, also. They use purified palm kernel oil.

I was taking this for a while:

vitamin.jpg

Pros:

- The magnesium is magnesium citrate
- Iron-free
- The vitamin D is cholecalciferol (D3)
- The doses are meted in 2 - 4 a day (rather than 1 a day)
- Trusted brand/manufacturer
- Reasonable price point (I got 120 caps for $27 cdn, though I've seen it online as low as $19)

Cons:

- Compressed tablet form
- The B12 is cyanocobalamin

I recently switched to GNC MegaMen, but after reading this thread, I think I'll either switch back or move on to a better quality, caplet-form multi.

Beyond men and iron, another factor to potentially look at in a multi is the fat-soluble vitamin content. These tend to accumulate in the body, so if you are taking a good multi that is high in vitamins like A and D, you may want to avoid additional supplementation of those. It's probably unnecessary, and in high enough concentrations, vitamins A and D can be harmful.

Oddly enough, I was speaking with a pharmacist recently about vitamins and supplements, and the fat-soluble vitamin issue was one of the first things she brought up.

I know the fat-soluble vitamin issue is likely not news for most of you guys, I just didn't see it anywhere in this thread.

Great thread regarding an under-discussed/often misunderstood topic. Thanks.

I'll just add myself to the list of people completely satisfied with Nature's Plus Source of Life, no iron.

However, since I have a fairly good diet, and like others see the multi as insurance, I only take 2 of the 3 recommended each day. Helps absorb the extra cost a bit more. And I never noticed much difference whether I was taking 2 or 3.

I've been using this one:

Progressive Active Men

It's a capsule, 3 pill serving that I take spread out through the day. Magnesium, B6 and B12 look to be a decent profile as outlined in the OP.

Sci-MX Multivitamin Complex is fucking loaded with vits and antioxidants, reasonable price as well

What's wrong with old fashioned Centrum? Consumber Labs tested it for potency and dissolvability and it passed. Why pay for these other expensive vitamins that's mostly pissed away?

What's wrong with old fashioned Centrum? Consumber Labs tested it for potency and dissolvability and it passed. Why pay for these other expensive vitamins that's mostly pissed away?

Got a copy of that report?

You have no idea, do you? Pompous and nerd are 2 things that do NOT describe me at all. This post:
just shows that not only did he not read the FAQ, he didn't even read the thread he posted it in.

#1 tip in the original post
* Look for a capsuled multi, not a compressed pill. One word: digestibility. Some pill forms WILL have great dissolution, but you can never go wrong with a capsule.

You have no idea, do you? Pompous and nerd are 2 things that do NOT describe me at all. This post:

just shows that not only did he not read the FAQ, he didn't even read the thread he posted it in.

#1 tip in the original post

. . . .And our last post just solidified my initial notion that you need this board for some type of superiority complex. If you want to consider anyone without the same level of DnS as you as stupid, that may fly on this board but you'd get some weird looks if you tried that in real life.

But I am going to play your game anyway. The FAQ doesn't even answer the question he asked, it just linked to this thread. So much for "not only did he not read the FAQ, he didn't even read the thread he posted it in".

Look for a capsuled multi, not a compressed pill. One word: digestibility. Some pill forms WILL have great dissolution, but you can never go wrong with a capsule.

It's hard to believe that your reading comprehension is so poor, but I guess I have to explain it. That quote states that there are exceptions where good mutlis in pill forms will have great dissolutions. That statement implees that all capsuled mutlis are good, and a pill form us unlikely to be decent but there are exceptions.

Well, excuse me Mr. fucking know-it-all. The FAQ used to mention Centrum specifically as one that is shit. I've heard that for years, even when I knew nothing about D&S. WTF crawled up your ass today anyway, I didn't attack or insult you in any way.

Back