The Definitive Multivitamin Thread

Not to mention I say on a pretty regular basis here that I am not an expert on the matter

It was a smart assed answer, and IMO a kind of funny picture. If you really want to continue bitching at me do it in a PM and stop cluttering up this thread. It was made as a resource to be linked to the FAQ.

Easy, boys. It's just a multivitamin discussion thread, no more, no less. :icon_chee

Easy, boys. It's just a multivitamin discussion thread, no more, no less. :icon_chee

He started it

*sneers*

. . . . ..

Does anyone take trader joes mutli-vit+min powder? The one with the scoop? Is that any good?

some good info from Mark

"Vitamin E

Avoid synthetic versions, which are often preceded by “dl-“ as in “dl-alpha-tocopherol”. A quality supplement will offer a natural blend of mixed tocopherols (with gamma tocopherol being identified as a predominant form) and, ideally, mixed tocotrienols. The natural blend benefits both digestion and absorption."

Tocopherol | Mark's Daily Apple

According to google, d- is natural, dl- is synthetic.

Trader joes sells a natural mixed tocpherols for5.99.

Contains 400IU d-alpha, 366 mg of mixed tocopherols, provides 200 mg of gamma, 66.67 of delta, 4 mg of beta.

Honestly, Centrum has shown up at the top of Consumer Report lists. I haven't been able to read the full reports because you have to pay for the shit ($10 subscription fee of some sort) but nonetheless they are on them. Don't take this as me saying Centrum multi's are great. I really don't know and it's not something I've looked into very extensively and I also don't know what criteria they have to meet in order to get towards the top of Consumer Report lists. I'm simply saying that they are there. Nothing more, nothing less.

Honestly, Centrum has shown up at the top of Consumer Report lists. I haven't been able to read the full reports because you have to pay for the shit ($10 subscription fee of some sort) but nonetheless they are on them. Don't take this as me saying Centrum multi's are great. I really don't know and it's not something I've looked into very extensively and I also don't know what criteria they have to meet in order to get towards the top of Consumer Report lists. I'm simply saying that they are there. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ok, this explains why Centrum and One-a-Day are at the top of the CR list.

This review focuses mostly on dollar store and ultra-cheap brands of multivitamins. In testing, many didn't live up to their claimed amount of nutrients and some had problems dissolving enough of those

Are the results good enough to stand on their own? or are they just better than the crappy ones? My money is on the latter.

Damn this world :D I can't seem to find anything on the net in regards to rating multi's that's free. Anyway, your bet could be right with Centrum. I don't know one way or another. My instinct is that it's not as bad as a lot of people think but that also doesn't necessarily mean it's a great vitamin either. I don't even use them myself I just don't like beating up products without some proof that they actually deserved to be beat up.

How do we really know that the vitamins that are viewed to be good really are good without being tested for quality? I haven't really seen any independent testing on various brands of vitamins.

opti-men-facts.jpg

Any thoughts on this profile?

I take Mens One-a-Days and eat really clean and strict. Am I gonna die?

ACF9939.jpg

I have been using this for years, mainly because I HOPE its a decent multi, its cheaper then the other GNC SPORT FANTASTIC BLOW JOB BONANZA brands...and centrum makes me sick :D

We all talk about absorption, and I take GNC greens, those things are the size of elephant nuts, so I highly doubt the whole pill breaks down. But what if I crack it in half and to increase surface area, that should chemically speaking increase the digestion and absorption of the pill, right?

We all talk about absorption, and I take GNC greens, those things are the size of elephant nuts, so I highly doubt the whole pill breaks down. But what if I crack it in half and to increase surface area, that should chemically speaking increase the digestion and absorption of the pill, right?

Yes, and for compressed-pill form form multis, this isn't a bad idea at all. I do this with my diphenhydrinate (Benadryl) tabs to increase absorption speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back