The Definitive Multivitamin Thread

i'd appreciate it if some of the experts around here could help me choose between GNC's Ultra Mega Green and Nature's Plus - Source of Life (with iron? without?) as my daily multivitamin. to give you some background, i'm 26, male, about 6'2" and 86 kgs. i'm currently taking an omega 3-6-9 supplement 3 times a day as well as centrum as a multi and a protein/weight-gain shake after weightlifting (twice a week). i also swim, run, and do jiu-jitsu.

however, i'm not really looking for anything to help me with sports performance at this point - though i would like to gain muscle mass and improve my cardiovascular conditioning (as i guess everyone would). my real goal is just to improve my overall health, as i'm living overseas in a country where there's a fair amount of pollution and where it's harder for me to eat the right kinds of food, and i am starting to simply look and feel a little tired. in terms of diet, i specifically find it hard to eat the same amounts of meat (especially beef and chicken) and green vegetables (broccoli, green beans, etc.) that i used to when i lived in the U.S.

given this minimal information (and please let me know if i need to add more for you to give an opinion), would the Ultra Mega Green or the Source of Life be a better choice for me? also, if the latter would be better, should i get the blend with iron or without? thanks in advance for your help.

I feel it should be noted that the highly recommended GNC UMG multi has the dreaded "B12cyanidestack" in it.

Also to include (looking on the bottle) it has Vitamin D2 instead of D3!! D3 is more biovailable. It also violates Magnesium because it has MG oxide. It pretty much violates all those tips. Still a good multi??

I think it's splitting hairs between the GNC UMG and the NP SoL, go for price and availability as any of the ones in the MV thread is head and shoulders above that Centrum. No Iron, unless you're a woman or vegetarian. I think you'd be further ahead with just fish oil, instead of the O-3,6,9. If I recall accurately most people get more than enough 6 and 9 in their diets, be it clean or shitty but it's the ratio of 3,6,9 that gets fucked up, with the 3's not in the diet.

Ronin, I bet that's what sparked his question.

Also to include (looking on the bottle) it has Vitamin D2 instead of D3!! D3 is more biovailable. It also violates Magnesium because it has MG oxide. It pretty much violates all those tips. Still a good multi??

I see cholecalciferol, which is d3. I'm looking at the link iagox9 provided. Regardless, it's a mid-grade multi. Perhaps D&S should develop a rating scale; I have a second post beyond the first saved, so a list could be compiled with ratings.

What's the point of supplementing with more omega 6's? I thought the point was to get the omega3/omega6 ratio closer to even as possible. Wouldn't taking omega 6 supplements work against this?

Just curious if anyone can explain the purpose of omega 3-6-9 supps.

SuperNutrition

SuperNutrition is one of the few companies that rep's of other companies are not afraid to say they use because the quality is top notch.

I'm with you Turbo, I thought the O-3's were to get the ratio right (I think its 1:2 or 2:3.) The whole point behind O-3,6 and O-3,6,9's is, in my opinion, that the sup peddlers realize that most people think "if 3's are good, 3,6,9's are going to be great" without knowing the specifics of why they want the 3's in the first place.

it's been 3 months, 6 days, 9 hours since you went away....

as someone else mentioned, i just bought the 3-6-9 because it was the only thing available at my local black market store and i figured more was better...

i did see the thread ronin mentioned before, and that is what prompted me to ask which is better.

does everyone agree that there's no real difference and that it'd just be splitting hairs to say one or the other is better?

yes. is there a bigger size? that was the only type they had at the vitamin shoppe.

Yeah, the normal "Tablet" size is a bit larger and the recommended dose is only 3. No difference (that I'm aware of) other than the size/dosage.

On a side note: Source of Life is a great vitamin; expensive but (IMHO) worth it. I plan on going back to them after my current runs out.

If you can afford the extra cost, I recommend Source of Life (No Iron if you're male) 100%.

What are thoughts on Controlled Labs Orange Triad. It contains joint supps also.

SuperNutrition

SuperNutrition is one of the few companies that rep's of other companies are not afraid to say they use because the quality is top notch.

Looks mid-to-low grade; vitamin A, with no beta carotene. Low flush and no flush b3, which is pointless, and known to have reduced efficacy, especially in treating cardiovascular issues. Typical pyridoxine and cyanocobalamin. mag oxide/glycinate combo, and in a low amount. I see nothing worth bragging about with this multi.

The Wire said:
fyi - Sea Essentials is also liquid

Got it. Looks like we're making room for better recommendations. :icon_chee

I'd still like some input on a rating system.

Check the magnesium type for quality; magnesium oxide is the cheapest form of Mg to use, therefore, it's a fairly good indication of overall quality of the rest of the ingredients. Look for magnesium citrate, aspartate, malate, or bisglycinate, which have much better bioavailability.
Other than wiki-ing each vitamin to see which is the most bioavailable vitamer, is there a neat and tidy reference anywhere?

The Nature's Plus - Sea of Life, are we talking about the Tablet version? There are a load of different Sea of Life products on the companies website, some liquid, some red, some mini tablet, some yellow. Clarification for those unfamiliar with their products could prove useful.

I just noticed with the GNC UMG, there are quite a few differences between the regular and iron free versions. Not just iron content... strange.

Quick thought on a rating system, I'd like to see the ratings broken down. Where there is a value for each criteria, rather than one overall value. Something like 4 for vitamin/mineral profile, but 2 for bioavailability, rather than X-brand Multi gets a 3. That way if there are factors that someone couldn't care less about we can omit criteria as we see fit (ie, pill size or frequency of dosage.) Maybe this is common sense, but whatever.

Thoughts on Optimum Nutrition's Opti-Men?

opti-men-facts.jpg

the ultra mega greens arent even that big as described as elephant pills. at least i dont think. its also 2 a day not 3. yes, i am nitpicking, lol.

they used to be 3 a day and i agree - not that big at all.

Adam120Black-150x350.jpg

What do you guys think of the ingredients listed in NOW Adam? I'm taking that right now based off of a couple of recommendations and I'd like to know what exactly I'm taking.

Also, I'm only taking 1 pill daily (instead of the 2 daily) because 2 pills gave me crazy mindblowing dreams (due to the ZMA).

Thanks.

I think it looks pretty good, doesn't skimp out on anything really, though while it mentions it's magnesium is from oxide/citrate/aspartate, doesn't say in what ratios. better than some on the list which uses just oxide tho, and it's cheap/available in a lot of places.

Back