The "Conor has no ground game" theory

Sammy Bananas

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
We've seen some flashes of skill from CM on the ground. The sweep of Nate Diaz in the first round comes to mind.

But why is it exactly that no one ever gives him credit for all the ground work he did in the Holloway fight? I thought he did a great job controlling position against a taller fighter.

Conor haters can only watch the second round of the Mendes fight and the second round of the Nate fight. They can't talk about what Conor did in his other fights, or in the first round of those fights.

I think that what it comes down to is that Conor has no ground game compared to Nate.

conor has ground game like ronda has stand up

He did well against Brandao as well, who is very solid on the ground

Most know that Conor is well versed on the ground, it is just obviously his striking that is most impressive.

He doesn't have a ground game because that's not where he wins his fights.

He has ground survival skills

We've seen some flashes of skill from CM on the ground. The sweep of Nate Diaz in the first round comes to mind.

But why is it exactly that no one ever gives him credit for all the ground work he did in the Holloway fight? I thought he did a great job controlling position against a taller fighter.
Explain his turtle defense against Mini Mendes. The best he can do is try to control posture. Outside of that, he has absolutely no wrist control or a shred of hip movement abilities. He's literally an oaf on the ground.

Big nogs bjj is fucking shit do u remember how mir sweeped him so effortlessly and got him in the kimura

Explain his turtle defense against Mini Mendes. The best he can do is try to control posture. Outside of that, he has absolutely no wrist control of hip movement abilities. He's literally an oaf on the ground.

I would explain it by saying that Mendes is an excellent wrestler and better on the ground overall than Holloway.

Conor haters can only watch the second round of the Mendes fight and the second round of the Nate fight. They forgot what Conor did in his other fights, or in the first round of those fights.

Conor the was on his back for the first round of the Mendes fight.

You must've forgot.

Conor has fantastic defensive bjj.

BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

56d0bf6031aa1.gif

He has also a smooth top game which he rarely uses but used it against Siver and Holloway. He cuts through guards like butter.

720cb99b7cc182f08eaf6cb3af2dd960.gif

SO ITS BULLSHIT THAT HE HE HAS NO GROUND GAME.

I think that what it comes down to is that Conor has no ground game compared to Nate.
Yup. Nate has submissions over legitimate BJJ black belts Kurt Pellegrino and Jim Miller. What do you think he's going to do if he gets a guy 13lbs lighter than him on the ground? My guess would be the same thing he did in the first fight.

I would explain it by saying that Mendes is an excellent wrestler and better on the ground overall than Holloway.
Sure, but Mendes was coming straight off a boat with a beer in hand into that fight. He's a very small guy. Conor is the one wanting to fight the best of 155 and 170. All I'm saying is if he thought Mendes was a fucking block of iron, wait till someone like Khabib gets ahold of him.

Conor has fantastic defensive bjj.

BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

56d0bf6031aa1.gif

He has also a smooth top game which he rarely uses but used it against Siver and Holloway. He cuts through guards like butter.

720cb99b7cc182f08eaf6cb3af2dd960.gif

SO ITS BULLSHIT THAT HE HE HAS NO GROUND GAME.
You must have a negative white belt under Machacho Alejandro Valdanerezitoestivez. None of those gifs show any real technique except his sweep of Diaz. The rest are just wild scrambles he just happened to come away from okay. Show the one of him begging Herb Dean for free stand ups while eating elbows under Mendes.

Yup. Nate has submissions over legitimate BJJ black belts Kurt Pellegrino and Jim Miller. What do you think he's going to do if he gets a guy 13lbs lighter than him on the ground? My guess would be the same thing he did in the first fight.

I don't think anyone would deny that. But that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking why people act like his ground game is non-existent. At best I would call that an overstatement.

Sure, but Mendes was coming straight off a boat with a beer in hand into that fight. He's a very small guy. Conor is the one wanting to fight the best of 155 and 170. All I'm saying is if he thought Mendes was a fucking block of iron, wait till someone like Khabib gets ahold of him.

Yeah OK I can see that.

Khabib would throttle conor.

Big nogs bjj is fucking shit do u remember how mir sweeped him so effortlessly and got him in the kimura
Did you just compare Nog's BJJ with Conor's? Bwahaha look at their records or better yet watch their fights, Nog is light years ahead of Cannor on the ground.

Back