The Brawlers:

Sinister

Doctor of Doom
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Since I know a lot of you who train MMA prefer brawling styles, I thought I'd show you some of the guys who did and do it best in Boxing if you've never seen them. THIS is how you brawl effectively.

First, the current Coach of the UNLV Boxing Team, "Saigon" Skipper Kelp.

YouTube - "Saigon" Skipper' Kelp Highlights Video

Australian mauling machine "The Great" Michael Katsidis.

Intro:

YouTube - MICHAEL KATSIDIS THE KING

HL:

YouTube - Katsidis The Great

Katsidis' next opponent "The Baby Bull" Juan Diaz.

YouTube - Juan Diaz Highlight

Don't think he fights like that in real time? Check this out:

YouTube - Juan Diaz vs Randy Suico

Currently 24-0 with 24 KO's, Edwin "Dinamita" Valero.

YouTube - Edwin Valero HL : The King Of "KO"

Mini dynamo Fernando "El Kochulito" Montiel.

(This is a whole fight, but not very long, once Montiel gets started that's pretty much it, and keep in-mind the opponent Maldonado is a pretty sturdy Veteran.)

YouTube - MONTIEL VS MALDONADO TELEVISED IN MEXICALI MEXICO

Israel "El Magnifico" Vasquez.

YouTube - Israel Vazquez vs Rafael Marquez II (FOTY 2007)

YouTube - Israel Vazquez vs. Rafael Marquez III Highlight Video

And a rare treat, here's Vasquez sparring with Manny Pacquiao:

YouTube - Manny Pacquiao Vs Israel Vasquez (Sparring)

And of course let's not leave out the Old School.

Henry "Homicide Hank" Armstrong.

YouTube - Henry Armstrong vs Lou Ambers

Sandy Saddler.

YouTube - Willie Pep vs Sandy Saddler

Now I didn't include my HL vids of Aaron Pryor and Jack Dempsey, but they'd qualify as well. Just wanted to show some guys many of you might never have heard of or seen.

BTW, Suico who Juan Diaz was mauling up there is a regular sparring partner of Edwin Valero, hence his toughness in withstanding that.

good stuff. I was a huge boxing fan but I have really began to hate it over the last few years. Some great vids to get me watching again. Thanks.

good stuff. I was a huge boxing fan but I have really began to hate it over the last few years. Some great vids to get me watching again. Thanks.

There's always Fighters like this, and always Great fights, no reason to ever hate it.

beautiful thread.

After seeing that sparring clip, it's no wonder Izz wants to fight Pac.

want the truth KK...Izzy impresses me every single time i see him fight. waaaaaayyy better than i thought.

fucking a is he tough too.

i like Valero

De La Hoya can be very exciting in brawl mode, like against Ike Quartey against the ropes or against Shane Mosley in the last round

if you spar with point sparrers and throw lots of punches, they sometimes say it's more brawling than they are used to, but i think anyone who trains should know how to fight someone who does that.

what do u think was the reason campbell was able to standup to diaz brawling style and workrate; most people try to stay away, be slick, nate campbell was right in there shot for shot mauling muscling and fighting w/diaz.

what do u feel allowed campbell to do so, me personally i think its a combo of campbell's exp, having been in many tough fights/wars; but i think the power punching and sharpshooting of nate is what brought him the win. As alot of guys who can crack don't brawl cus they are used to guys folding when they hit them; an guys who punch accurately usually get sloppy when they have to sit down and go to war.

i think nate was able to raise up his workrate, an maintain his accuracy which most guys couldn't do, esp when u got a guy like diaz pressing u.

Nate took Juan's will away. It's that simple. He knew Juan didn't hit that hard, and that he's been hit by guys who have harder single punches. All he had to do was stand his ground, let Juan know he wasn't going to have his way, and fire back. He nearly matched Juan's workrate, and hits harder. Nate's always in good condition.

Same reason Lazcano gave Hatton problems, had he a better punch he might have gotten something done.

Nate took Juan's will away. It's that simple. He knew Juan didn't hit that hard, and that he's been hit by guys who have harder single punches. All he had to do was stand his ground, let Juan know he wasn't going to have his way, and fire back. He nearly matched Juan's workrate, and hits harder. Nate's always in good condition.

Same reason Lazcano gave Hatton problems, had he a better punch he might have gotten something done.

that is true; but i relate that to the if u go four w/mike or zab u will win, it can't be that easy otherwise neither would have got to where they were in boxing.

just stand ur ground, it might be that simple; but that being said why couldn't any of the fmr champs or contenders do the same, i mean i knew nate was gonna stomp juan out. An said as much as u; but the argument i got was alot of people havent been able to stand their ground w/juan. An listed guys who hit hard, freitas, sim, etc and guys w/good conditioning, an so on; my point was a)nate can take it (he is in those types of fights all the time) b)he hits hard but can keep a high workrate unlike other boxers (cintron for example) WHO get dissuaded when they can't get ur attention w/one or two shots and fade when they have to up their rate and c)he doesn't get sloppy wide or def irresponsible when he gets in and brawls or goes to war...which alot of guys do.

excellent thread KK

cant wait for Katsidis vs Diaz. i dont know if its confirmed yet but who do you like in that fight KK?

just stand ur ground, it might be that simple; but that being said why couldn't any of the fmr champs or contenders do the same, i mean i knew nate was gonna stomp juan out. An said as much as u; but the argument i got was alot of people havent been able to stand their ground w/juan. An listed guys who hit hard, freitas, sim, etc and guys w/good conditioning, an so on; my point was a)nate can take it (he is in those types of fights all the time) b)he hits hard but can keep a high workrate unlike other boxers (cintron for example) WHO get dissuaded when they can't get ur attention w/one or two shots and fade when they have to up their rate and c)he doesn't get sloppy wide or def irresponsible when he gets in and brawls or goes to war...which alot of guys do.

Freitas has a fragile will. He's the guy making it fashionable to quit in Boxing.

Sim was a surprise, but Lakva's also been at it quite a while, and had his moment in the sun. Nate hadn't yet.

But you're speaking FAR too highly of Nate Campbell:

YouTube - Nate Campbell is an idiot

He had ONE brilliant moment outside of the Kid Diamond fight, and has far more moments of stupidity under his belt.

If he's changed, great. But he had a lot of factors about his person that played into the weaknesses of Diaz.

imo diaz should beat katsidis if nate didn't take too much out of him, nate didn't just beat him, he beat him up, diaz ain't have nothing for him at all.

but i think diaz is the more disciplined boxer, an has the better overall skillset; diaz can a)stick to a gameplan, b)make an adj , and c)use def.

katsidis has skills but to me depends on that athleticism and power; he makes alot of mistakes and gets saved by that chin, an that power.

i DON'T think diaz makes as many mistakes or has as many OBV holes in his game; but if diaz isn't the same as he was b4 campbell i don't think he wins....

an kabuki-i guess i do have a higher opinion of campbell than warranted; but from day one whenever people asked me who had diaz number, i thought of campbell. He had all the ability, heart and durability; an the skills necessary to stop diaz, is he smart..hasnt shown it..is he consistent, he hasn't shown that either. But when he is on, i don't think there are many people who will beat him, not katsidis/diaz/ guzman/khan/diamond/etc

but ur right given his history, u would expect nate to not be focused or off his game and get outworked or stopped.

What exactly is "brawling style"? Is it basically the complete opposite from stick and move, where you just throw hooks and stand in the pocket?

what is the difference between someone who is classified as a puncher and someone who is called a brawler?

Thanks KK.

MMA/wrestling is usually my main outlet to get my combat sport fix, but I've been wanting to get deep into boxing lately and learn more about the fighters that aren't necessarily in the spot light all the time. This is perfect.

what is the difference between someone who is classified as a puncher and someone who is called a brawler?

A puncher can take you out in a punch whilst boxing. Brawlers, i think they just like to up and bully you around.

Back