The Brawlers:

Bump.

Not sure how many of you'se guys realize this, but two of the current best in the game in this thread are Fighting each other tomorrow night.

Juan Diaz vs. Michael Katsidis. Both coming off of losses, both looking to make a splash. Katsidis like the Spartan he is going into the Lion's Den of Texas to attempt to break the Baby Bull.

Bump.

Not sure how many of you'se guys realize this, but two of the current best in the game in this thread are Fighting each other tomorrow night.

Juan Diaz vs. Michael Katsidis. Both coming off of losses, both looking to make a splash. Katsidis like the Spartan he is going into the Lion's Den of Texas to attempt to break the Baby Bull.

Best of all it's free on HBO - should be played at many sports bars. No excuse not to watch this one!

It should be a blood bath. Neither guy boxes much, both cut, neither stops punching.

Wow, a pretty big list. Good stuff.

Boxing has so many terms, and there's soooooo many of those that you can't really get a clear definition of.

I remeber watching a fight where the announcer sai that on fighter chose mexican style glove, wich is a puncher's glove. Now, what in the hell does that mean? I did a search on the internet and the only allusion to this I could find was a transcript of what he said that night.

I would kill for a book that has all the obscure terms in boxing.

I'm surprised that's all you found.

Cleto Reyes is the company best-known for the "puncher's" glove. The padding is more compacted and it allows for more of the fist to be felt when punching, provides a harder surface but the drawback is it offers less protection for the hands. So some guys who have been big punchers but had hand problems often were torn between the Reyes gloves to accentuate their punch, or other brands to protect their hands better.

Winning is the company that makes the most renowned puffier-padding gloves that are often referred to as "pillows". More hand-protection and a bit of a softer surface. So guys with brittle hands tend to favor these.

In Boxing it's become strategy to put glove type into contracts. In Manny Pacquiao's first fight with Erik Morales Manny signed the contact to use the Winning gloves, and he hated them. In the re-match that Manny won, he got to use the Reyes. Was it a huge factor in the actual fight? Probably not, but it was a huge factor if he BELIEVED it was.

Look up photos of 8oz Winning gloves versus 8oz Reyes gloves and you should see a World of difference.

its a good matchup but should not be main event

a good card would be casamayor/marquez, diaz/katsidies on the main card, and margaito/berto or mosley mayorga as main event

I'm surprised that's all you found.

Cleto Reyes is the company best-known for the "puncher's" glove. The padding is more compacted and it allows for more of the fist to be felt when punching, provides a harder surface but the drawback is it offers less protection for the hands. So some guys who have been big punchers but had hand problems often were torn between the Reyes gloves to accentuate their punch, or other brands to protect their hands better.

Winning is the company that makes the most renowned puffier-padding gloves that are often referred to as "pillows". More hand-protection and a bit of a softer surface. So guys with brittle hands tend to favor these.

In Boxing it's become strategy to put glove type into contracts. In Manny Pacquiao's first fight with Erik Morales Manny signed the contact to use the Winning gloves, and he hated them. In the re-match that Manny won, he got to use the Reyes. Was it a huge factor in the actual fight? Probably not, but it was a huge factor if he BELIEVED it was.

Look up photos of 8oz Winning gloves versus 8oz Reyes gloves and you should see a World of difference.

winning gloves worked wonders for mayweather, especially against the gatti fight

he wouldve broken his hand at least 20 times in that fight

I don't see why this fight shouldn't be the main event. You got the former unified division Champ taking on a guy who has been in the top 5 of every sanctioning body's top 10 for quite a while, with the winner getting a sure shot at either of the Champs again.

Next week's card is a double-header only because I'm sure the dream scenario is for Campbell to fight Marquez for the unified Titles after (as they suspect) Marquez beats Casamayor and Campbell beats Guzman.

But the sheer action this fight should see, and the quality of both guys, it'd main event worthy IMO. If it were an undercard it'd be liable to make the main event look like shit.

P.S. - Berto would get shit-stomped by Margarito, that's a fight that shouldn't even happen yet.

There's always Fighters like this, and always Great fights, no reason to ever hate it.

After seeing that sparring clip, it's no wonder Izz wants to fight Pac.

It'll be a great fight no doubt, but Pac's left, and his foot work will negate Vazquez style.
Pacman is unbeatable at this point.

Pac is not unbeatable.

However he IS two weight classes above Izz right now.

BTW - For those of you who can't see it, or are watching the UFC PPV but want to know what the deal with this fight is, I will be doing a play-by-play in the Boxing Forum. And my PBP's are top-notch if I do say so myself.

I can't afford the PPV so thanks for doing the PBP, Mr Sin

Are you by any chance doing a sticky on Southpaw boxers like Z Gorres, Whitaker and Marvin anytime?

look at pac's footwork, combo's and head movement in his sparring vid against vasquez. wow.

Back