• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Boat Dilemma (The Dark Knight)

Then I tell my entire family lets run and jump in. In fact I'd be telling everyone on the boat that before I jump. I'd say "I'm jumping everyone lets just jump and make a run for it". If someone ran off the boat and my family died you think I'm going to be mad at the guy that tried to run and didn't play games with a psycho who planted bombs on two different boats and made up some rules that I'm supposed to believe he'll stick to? I'm going to be mad at the guy who planted the bombs now the guy who tried to survive.

I think the difference here is that you would believe whatever rules the Joker told you and I wouldn't believe a fucking word that comes out of his mouth. You would pull the trigger confident that only the other boat would blow up I wouldn't be so sure that is true. He could have rigged it so whoever pushes the button their boat blows up or both do. Who knows because the guy clearly doesn't follow the law saw why would he care about following his own rules?

I would have pushed the button and blown up the inmates in a second. Only because I know they would push the button in real life. If I were an inmate though, I probably would just be like “fuck it, let them blow us up. What, is it so great being raped every day for a carton of cigarettes?”

only way both are not triggered is if someone throws it off the boat before the mob gets to them to throw the switch.

A small group of 6 or less might be able to reason and might choose not to act but big groups will always have someone determined to do it and they will whip up the crowd into a frenzy and a mob and we all know mobs do act even when the individuals that comprise might have acted differently if separate from the mob.

I believe I would be the one to through it quickly over board. Well that's what I want to believe anyway.

Depends on the culture. Look how Americans respond to hurricanes vs Japanese to tsunamis.

Someone would have had to let me know how it worked out, when I finished swimming to shore.

I think there would be large groups on both sides ready to do it ASAP.

Agreed. You could only hope the cops on the prison barge could dump the switch before the convicts bum rush them.

The Boat Dilemma?
tenor.gif

Back