The Blonde Devil (Unknown Vale Tudo Legend)

Ben Askren is an amazing wrestler, and is now a BJJ purple belt. When he becomes a black belt, does that make him a BJJer with really good wrestling?

Depends what he uses in his fights during which parts. But in general, he would be a top notch wrestler with excellent bjj.

LOL seriously? How about competing for a national wrestling team or as part of the squad? Or how about a Judo black belt? CANT have it both ways!

if both styles are about equal to the practioner then it's up to the fighter to decide. For example, Filho has never called himself a judoka even though he was an established judoka in brasil.

Ben Askren is an amazing wrestler, and is now a BJJ purple belt. When he becomes a black belt, does that make him a BJJer with really good wrestling?

No one calls matt lindland, dan henderson, and randy couture anything else than wrestlers. Because they call themselves wrestlers and fight like wrestlers.

Undefeated from 1958-1985 as a 68 kg dude fighting at openweight. Damn. This guy should be considered in the ranks of Fedor, Anderson and GSP. The fact that there were less rules only adds to his badassery.

I love those interviews on you tube with him. I believe the ones with a translator and a lady sitting at the back some place. he says you needed karate, judo and jiu jitsu for vale tudo.

the story of Armando Wriedt also needs expanding more to. there was a great interview with him on budo media, but I cant find it. Gandhi of jiu jitsu!

Back