The Blonde Devil (Unknown Vale Tudo Legend)

i don't recall who started LL, but in terms of what Euclides learnt, it was likely a combination of LL and BJJ.

His first teacher was Jurandir Moura in Recife, Moura taught both Luta Livre and BJJ (and was made a BJJ 8th dan not too long ago). According to that notice of his (Moura's) promotion, he trained with George Gracie, Pedro Hermeterio and the Judoka/Jitsuka Takeo Yano

[NOTICIAS] FALECIMENTO DO GRANDE MESTRE JURANDIR MOURA, 8

this just goes to show that the first MODERN well rounded fighters didnt just come up in the 90's and 2000's. how many other well rounded fighters were around back then?

Some great info here as well about Euclides Hatem (aka "Tatu") the man who founded Luta Livre and beat George Gracie at Vale Tudo in the 1940's.

LUTA LIVRE Submission

I have a question, why is a he considered a Luta Livre fighter when he is a Helio Gracie black belt?

I have a question, why is a he considered a Luta Livre fighter when he is a Helio Gracie black belt?

the same way Leo Leite is considered a Judoka when he is a Alexandre Paiva black belt i guess. martial arts aren't mutually exclusive, you can learn more than one. Euclides originally trained at a school that taught both.

The same way a BJJ player can have a Judo BB and/or be great at wrestling but still be considered a "BJJ guy".

It seems the perception around here is that BJJ guys can crosstrain and remain BJJ guys yet others study BJJ but cannot remain "wrestlers/judoka/CACC/Sambo/Luta Livre etc" guys.

The same way a BJJ player can have a Judo BB and/or be great at wrestling but still be considered a "BJJ guy".

It seems the perception around here is that BJJ guys can crosstrain and remain BJJ guys yet others study BJJ but cannot remain "wrestlers/judoka/CACC/Sambo/Luta Livre etc" guys.

Interesting dynamics. lol

this just goes to show that the first MODERN well rounded fighters didnt just come up in the 90's and 2000's. how many other well rounded fighters were around back then?

Which begs the question, were americans totally oblivious to what was going down in brazil at the time? I would think that if they knew about Vale Tudo back then there wouldnt have all these mcdojos popping up and a ninja craze.

crosstraining is one thing, getting a black belt from Helio (something that took almost 15+ years of training jiu jitsu) is another.

crosstraining is one thing, getting a black belt from Helio (something that took almost 15+ years of training jiu jitsu) is another.

No, it isn't. Stop trying to claim something that isn't yours to claim.

LOL seriously? How about competing for a national wrestling team or as part of the squad? Or how about a Judo black belt? CANT have it both ways!

No, it isn't. Stop trying to claim something that isn't yours to claim.

Exactly!

Ben Askren is an amazing wrestler, and is now a BJJ purple belt. When he becomes a black belt, does that make him a BJJer with really good wrestling?

Back