• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Big Four

Which band is best

• Total voters
Poor widdle Anthwax...

More like "The Big Three" at this point.

Madhouse is a quality song though...

I love how testament just went and totally overhauled their sound, starting with Low. The Gathering is such a fantastic album. Love the"new" sound they made even better than what they started with. Not very common to have that happen.

Ahem, Opeth....

Same goes for Exodus and Overkill. Their sounds get heavier throughout the times and in Overkill's case, groovier ala Pantera/Machine Head. Exodus's lyrics get more controversial by their albums, covering topics such as famous serial killers, school shootings, and the hypocrisy of religion. I fucking love the direction that these bands took, and I think their new stuff tops whatever bullshit the Big 4 bands have released recently. Their consistency has to be appreciated.

I mean, I like them, but this poll is about the Big Four, and really there's only a Big One, and that's SLAYER.
I can't believe they were voted so low in this pole.....It should be Slayer by a landslide haha.

Off that list? Between Slayer and Anthrax for me.

Pantera above all of them tho.

He's a stereotypical 'old school' Metallica fan lol.

They're all from the Bay Area tho and are cool with one another from what I understand.

Yeah I know they're cool with each other...with that being said I do think he's just giving his honest opinion

And it did piss some people off lol

Yeah I know they're cool with each other...with that being said I do think he's just giving his honest opinion

And it did piss some people off lol

King has no reason to pull punches, but he's also a dick from what I know of him. I don't doubt it's his real opinion, and I don't doubt he's voiced it in person to them at some point over beers. And to be fair to him, his band (Slayer) has kept it one hunna on the metal front so there's also that.

But he does call them his 'heroes' in that video which shows he has respect for their work at some point. And I know Metallica has love for Slayer too -there's a video of Metallica playing a live show and busting out the intro to 'Raining Blood' and James shouting 'Slayer' at their own concert lol. So they all know what's up.

Having been in bands myself that have come and gone (talking about original bands, not cover bands) -I've been on both sides of this, giving opinions on new/different projects and so on. Obviously not on the level of a Metallica or Slayer, but still.

King has no reason to pull punches, but he's also a dick from what I know of him. I don't doubt it's his real opinion, and I don't doubt he's voiced it in person to them at some point over beers. And to be fair to him, his band (Slayer) has kept it one hunna on the metal front so there's also that.

But he does call them his 'heroes' in that video which shows he has respect for their work at some point. And I know Metallica has love for Slayer too -there's a video of Metallica playing a live show and busting out the intro to 'Raining Blood' and James shouting 'Slayer' at their own concert lol. So they all know what's up.

Having been in bands myself that have come and gone (talking about original bands, not cover bands) -I've been on both sides of this, giving opinions on new/different projects and so on. Obviously not on the level of a Metallica or Slayer, but still.

So you played for a couple of bands? What instrument? The reason I ask is because I really want to learn how to play the guitar...I'm 30 so I don't want to try and become a rockstar or anything, but I do think it would be awesome to just play.

So glad I got to see the big four in concert. Saw them at Yankees Stadium back in 2011. I bet Scott Ian was in heaven playing there. Just recently saw Metallica twice during their stadium tour supporting their new album Hardwired to Self Destruct. Band was pretty on point for both gigs. Got to see them at Giants Stadium in NJ and indoors near me at Nassau Coliseum. Got the best of both worlds. But yeah best of the big four in terms of overall quality of the material.

I mean just listen to Orion, that is the best instrumental by all four bands and arguably one of the greatest instrumentals in metal. Then again I am biased seeing as Metallica is my favorite band.

Thrash Metal is the genre that got me into heavy metal with my first of it being Metallica. That was back in 1994. 23 years later and heavy metal has become my favorite genre. Its such an extremely diverse genre as well and has something for everyone. As a guitarist and keyboardist myself it really fucking sucks knowing what could have become of Cliff as a musician if he hadn't of died :(

Check this out Gents.....

metalchart.jpg

Sorry for the letter size, you may have to zoom in on it....

Thrash Metal is my Favorite...

Last edited:
So glad I got to see the big four in concert. Saw them at Yankees Stadium back in 2011. I bet Scott Ian was in heaven playing there. Just recently saw Metallica twice during their stadium tour supporting their new album Hardwired to Self Destruct. Band was pretty on point for both gigs. Got to see them at Giants Stadium in NJ and indoors near me at Nassau Coliseum. Got the best of both worlds. But yeah best of the big four in terms of overall quality of the material.

I mean just listen to Orion, that is the best instrumental by all four bands and arguably one of the greatest instrumentals in metal. Then again I am biased seeing as Metallica is my favorite band.

Thrash Metal is the genre that got me into heavy metal with my first of it being Metallica. That was back in 1994. 23 years later and heavy metal has become my favorite genre. Its such an extremely diverse genre as well and has something for everyone. As a guitarist and keyboardist myself it really fucking sucks knowing what could have become of Cliff as a musician if he hadn't of died :(

Metal and just rock in general will always be my favorite music...it's funny because I didn't give a shit about rock until I was 15 years old ( being Mexican and raised around gangsters in Cali) but once I started paying attention and listening I got addicted fast. I started off with Korn and I thought that they would be my favorite band forever but man was I wrong.

Now that I'm 30 I still find all kinds of awesome metal treasures and I absolutely love it! And Metal fans I find are the most awesome and most passionate and loyal fans that I have ever witnessed.

Metal till I die!!!!

Back