The Big Four

Which band is best

• Total voters
Posers? Good grief.

Even if true, almost 40 years of posing while making some badass tunes isn't the worst thing in the world.
I had a buddy who said the samething then when Jeff Hanneman passed away he called me up and started yelling at me weird guy.

As a Christian, I get Tom. We would certainly disagree on some things, but poser is something I wouldn't call him. Everyone has to draw the line with their faith somewhere; it's an interesting and delicate subject matter and typing a gigantic thesis on it is probably not appropriate for Sherdog.

I even like some of Disturbed’s shit. But there is just no getting around it. They are corporate as fuck. So is 5 Finger. I mean, at least one guy in their band is a studio guy. It isn’t as if they were some awesome garage band that was discovered.

A while back, I was at work taking about the shitty state of mainstream rock music today. The guy at the desk next to me said he was recently at a Disturbed concert and David Drayman (sp?) started rattling off all these statistics about their record sales to the cross between songs. I was like “yep, I could have seen that coming.”

But at least they were an organic band that formed in NY and played their way to the top, not some engineered group of session guys who were put together for the sole purpose of making money, even though that has become their purpose.

I even like some of Disturbed’s shit. But there is just no getting around it. They are corporate as fuck. So is 5 Finger. I mean, at least one guy in their band is a studio guy. It isn’t as if they were some awesome garage band that was discovered.

A while back, I was at work taking about the shitty state of mainstream rock music today. The guy at the desk next to me said he was recently at a Disturbed concert and David Drayman (sp?) started rattling off all these statistics about their record sales to the cross between songs. I was like “yep, I could have seen that coming.”

But at least they were an organic band that formed in NY and played their way to the top, not some engineered group of session guys who were put together for the sole purpose of making money, even though that has become their purpose.

When I first started getting into rock I used to listen to disturbed, drowning pool, Godsmack and Korn. Korn used to be my favorite band (because they are from Bakersfield like myself) and I never thought anything would change that. Now I can't stand Disturbed, Godsmack or any cheesy bands like that. To me those bands are for teenagers. For people who just discovered Rock and/ or Metal.

When I first started getting into rock I used to listen to disturbed, drowning pool, Godsmack and Korn. Korn used to be my favorite band (because they are from Bakersfield like myself) and I never thought anything would change that. Now I can't stand Disturbed, Godsmack or any cheesy bands like that. To me those bands are for teenagers. For people who just discovered Rock and/ or Metal.

There’s a couple of Godsmack songs I like, but I hate their very manufactured image. I still love Korn and listen to songs off their first album every day. I like a lot of stuff on Follow the Leader as well. Drowning Pool is just fucking awful as fuck.

There’s a couple of Godsmack songs I like, but I hate their very manufactured image. I still love Korn and listen to songs off their first album every day. I like a lot of stuff on Follow the Leader as well. Drowning Pool is just fucking awful as fuck.

Probably my favorite Korn song

I still like some Korn, but they are definitely far from my favorite.

I voted for Megadeth, but I fully expect Metallica to win this. And I fully expect Anthrax to get completely blown out of the water, as usual. i've literally never come across someone that had them as their favourite band of the big four.
because of an old work colleague, Anthrax was the first metal band I really seriously got into, and my favourites even before the term big 4 came about, or at least before it was used to describe the now ''big 4''.......I went on to discover Metallica, then Megadeth and finally Slayer, of the bands in question, i knew Metallica would win this poll handsomely and with room to spare, but for me, at no time in the 30 years I've been a fan of metal, have Metallica been my favourites, the other 3 have, and today they're probably the only one of the four I don't or very rarely listen to.

once I discovered Slayer, #1 was a lock.

Last edited:
of course they have tracks where the lyrics aren't that great. Megadeth albums usually have "commercial" tracks on them, which are often cheesy catchy. the more musically elaborate tracks tend to always have awesome lyrics coupled together.

also, Victory is fucking great. using the names of older songs to make up the lyrics? that's unheard of.
I've been thinking, my response to this should have been, "Not even close!"
Great song.

And this is why Metalica wins polls, albums sales and ticket sales. Casual appeal.
<GSPWoah> I don't know if i'd blame casuals for everything, I recalled a time before the internet, metal mags had end of year polls, best whatever in metal, Lars, yes fuckin Lars, somehow managed to win best drummer in metal, more often than not and Kirk won best guitarist a few times iirc, their early stuff was good, but they always got very favourable reviews from guys from whatever metal mag you read.

because of an old work colleague, Anthrax was the first metal band I really seriously got into, and my favourites even before the term big 4 came about, or at least before it was used to describe the now ''big 4''.......I went on to discover Metallica, then Megadeth and finally Slayer, of the bands in question, i knew Metallica would win this poll handsomely and with room to spare, but for me, at no time in the 30 years I've been a fan of metal, have Metallica been my favourites, and today they're probably the only one of the four I don't or very rarely listen to.

once I discovered Slayer, #1 was a lock.

Agreed. Apart from a few all-time classics: Enter Sandman, Battery, Ronnie (j/k) , Metallica has aged the worst for me. And I'm not talking the Napster thing, Some Kind of Monster, or their hazing of Jason Newsted, general weird behavior, etc.... the music is just.. boring. It almost pains me to say that because I was super into them when I was a teenager.

Very hard to choose. Slayer are probably the most consistent, Metallica are the most popular and Megadeth's best songs are better than everyone else's. I also love Anthrax, but they're probably a step below.

As we all know "The Big Four" of metal are Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax...

But which one reigns supreme in your eyes and why?

Discuss...

"The Big Four?" I assume this excludes pioneers of the 70's like Black Sabbath? What about Iron Maiden? What about Motley Crue? What about Guns and Roses? What about Pantera?

Classic Metallica beats all of the 80's metal bands anyway.

"The Big Four?" I assume this excludes pioneers of the 70's like Black Sabbath? What about Iron Maiden? What about Motley Crue? What about Guns and Roses? What about Pantera?

Classic Metallica beats all of the 80's metal bands anyway.

I already explained this multiple times in this thread...these are NOT my favorite bands of all time. "The big four" are well known as these metal bands and I'm simply asking out of these metal bands in the poll, which is best in your opinion?

Simple as that

I already explained this multiple times in this thread...these are NOT my favorite bands of all time. "The big four" are well known as these metal bands and I'm simply asking out of these metal bands in the poll, which is best in your opinion?

Simple as that

Metallica crushes the others.

Gotta go with Metallica.

Slayer wrote some great tunes, but aren't versatile enough.

Megadeth are better musician and have written alot of tunes that are better than Metallica, but Mustaine's vocals have always sucked.

Anthrax never did much for me.

As we all know "The Big Four" of metal are Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax...

But which one reigns supreme in your eyes and why?

Discuss...
They're the "Big Four of Thrash" because they were the first four to get big record deals.

Gotta go with Metallica.

Slayer wrote some great tunes, but aren't versatile enough.

Megadeth are better musician and have written alot of tunes that are better than Metallica, but Mustaine's vocals have always sucked.

Anthrax never did much for me.

Not a bad assessment

Back