The best S&C coach in the US?

I'm trolling? The OP suggested Joel fucking Jamieson and almost everyone who quoted me didn't have a reasonable alternative.

Rippetoe for life

He actually writes worthwhile peer reviewed texts on S&C as opposed to a charlatan maintaining a 2$ blog or a glorified babysitter for college kids or pros(almost all of whom have their own personal coaches during the off season and are roided out to the gills anyways).

Do you honestly believe he is the best strength coach in the US? I sure hope not.

Cressey is very good but I'll stick with Bommarito. He is definitely one of the best speed coaches out there when it comes to non-track athletes.

Also, while the majority of college and pro strength coaches are babysitters, that isn't the case for everyone. Maybe you should do some more research. I've actually visited and talked to most of these coaches, so I can tell you that isn't the case.

I'm trolling? The OP suggested Joel fucking Jamieson and almost everyone who quoted me didn't have a reasonable alternative.

Rippetoe for life

He actually writes worthwhile peer reviewed texts on S&C as opposed to a charlatan maintaining a 2$ blog or a glorified babysitter for college kids or pros(almost all of whom have their own personal coaches during the off season and are roided out to the gills anyways).

Peer reviewed? He really does not have that much that qualifies as peer reviewed.

I have plenty of reasonable alternatives. Furthermore, kindly tell me how much time the people I listed spent training their athletes. Bear in mind I have met every single one in person and worked with one of them.

While you are at it, please tell me the advantage that S&C coaches have with respect to training time spent with athletes as opposed to sport performance coaches.

Please, argue with me about what it means to be a collegiate strength coach. Really. Because only one of us here has done it, and it obviously was not you.

Holy fuck this place has gone to shit where every idiot who knows nothing thinks they should be arguing from a position of total ignorance.

Then, please list the superior athletes that Mark has produced in comparison to the coaches I listed.

If you like, please just list the best athletes he has produced. We can go from there. But it will not end well for you.

And you bring up Pendlay which is fairly stupid. Mark only got his USAW cert (L3) because he was able to piggy-back off of Pendlay's athletes, not the other way around. When Pendlay left WF, all of a sudden they had no weightlifters of note. And now Mark is going back and trying to teach out-dated methods as "new" such as pulling in a straight line for the quick lifts, which is something that was abandoned in the 70's for the most part, 80's in certain places.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Rippetoe for life

You do know what the definition of peer review means, right? Half the shit he says wouldn't stand up in any journal of good standing.

Rippetoe

SS and Practical Programming are the two highest selling books on S&C ever and he's a charter member of the CSCS.

It's not even debatable, and pretty much anyone who comes close was an associate of his at some point(Starr, Pendlay)

Only if you completely ignore the "and conditioning" part of the equation.

Too hard to say. Too many variables.

Specifically for MMA: no idea, not really seen a lot that was "cutting edge" that was actually worthwhile. MMA S&C is still in its infancy, which is why you see so many fighters doing so much stupid shit.

You wouldn't put Joel Jamieson and Martin Rooney in the legitimately high level coach category?

You wouldn't put Joel Jamieson and Martin Rooney in the legitimately high level coach category?

Too soon to say. I do not make snap judgements. At least not with respect to my field. Give it a few years. I am not saying that they are not good coaches, I am simply saying that right now we need more data to really have an informed opinion.

There are, however, plenty of so-called coaches in MMA (like Naudi) who are simply proof that children can actually be conceived via anal intercourse.

To the people citing Rip...no, just no.

Got nothing against the guy, he's probably had the single greatest impact on getting people into compounds and for that we should all be thankful.

Apart from promoting power lifting, his work has absolutely nothing to do with developing top tier athletes. Nothing. At. All.

Peer reviewed information? The only thing peer reviewed that Rip pulls from is textbooks. A LARGE amount of his information is conjecture or based off of anecdotal observation. It isn't "wrong" given that coaching always pulls from experience in varying degrees, but saying that he's a strictly "by the book/research" coach is just flat out wrong.

He actually writes worthwhile peer reviewed texts on S&C

There's not really such thing as a "peer-reviewed text".

There are peer-reviewed journals. Journals like "Nature" and "The American Economic Review" that have a editorial panels/review committees which vet the quality and scientific credentials of anything that is published. Rippetoe's articles on his own website or T-Nation don't count as being peer-reviewed in that sense.

Academic publishers like Oxford University Press do usually appoint qualified editors or external reviewers for their publications, I think. So what they produce is almost like a "peer reviewed text". But the Asgard Company, publishers of Starting Strength, is not such a publisher. In fact, as the only books they promote are ones authored by Rip, it would seem that they are in fact a vehicle purely for Rippetoe to publish his own works- the ultimate "Vanity Publisher". (In case you're not aware of the term "vanity publishers" are companies that publish books that the authors pay to publish.) Much as I think SS is an awesome book, to call it "peer-reviewed" is as far from the truth as one can get. I mean, it's probably his company. They'll print whatever he says.

I am not quite sure why you would describe Joel Jamieson as "Joel "fucking" Jamieson". He has a very good client list of top level MMA fighters. At least anecdotally, it seems like a lot of the guys he works with are known for their amazing conditioning. He has previously worked as an S&C coach in other sports. His approach is based on pretty detailed study of the latest research. Whether or how he compares to other S&C coaches, I don't know, but at the very least his approach is theoretically sound and he works at the top level as an S&C coach. Do you have a personal issue with him? Did he take your girlfriend off you or something?

Eric Brown looks pretty strong in his avatar. What about him?

Eric Brown looks pretty strong in his avatar. What about him?

Question was "Best S&C coach" not "Most balding, creaky and Italian S&C coach".

Sorry Eric. You know I keeed... I keeed because I lov.

Wouldn't it be a question of S&C for what? A particular coach might excel and the "S" part, but not the "C" part, or vice versa. Or be skilled at coaching for particular sports.

And the "best" S&C coach, may not even be someone with enough internet presence for people to be generally aware of. He could just be doing his job, without the writing, posting and whatever else, to call attention to himself.

I don't think it's a question for which a satisfying answer exists.

Seriously Rip's claim to fame other than SS is being a pretty pathetic powerlifter by anyone's definition and someone who likes to spout clich

Rippetoe

SS and Practical Programming are the two highest selling books on S&C ever and he's a charter member of the CSCS.

It's not even debatable, and pretty much anyone who comes close was an associate of his at some point(Starr, Pendlay)

No.

For so many reasons.

Starting with he has never been a conditioning coach, so he's automatically disqualified from discussion in this thread.

Surely you're not too dense to get that?

Rippetoe for life

Who has Rippetoe produced? Where have you seen Rippetoe do anything on conditioning? Milk and squats doesnt really qualify.

This just hit me, how do you still have a .gif avatar??

Back