The best S&C coach in the US?

There's a few of those freaks of nature on the Houston Defense :icon_chee

Should have added that Cush may or may not have had some help at one point or another. I firmly believe those allegations are completely false.

Cushing da god.

if i was going to seek a coach to make me the best athelete, from what ive seen this defranco guy. trained atheletes such as Ling Oei, should speak for itself.

I wonder what criteria people use to judge the value of an S&C coach.

if i was going to seek a coach to make me the best athelete, from what ive seen this defranco guy. trained atheletes such as Ling Oei, should speak for itself.

Was about to ask about him, he seems legit as fuck.

DeFranco seems to excel when training people who are already skilled athletes. I remember seeing videos years ago with younger people and beginners that were plain bad.

DeFranco seems to excel when training people who are already skilled athletes. I remember seeing videos years ago with younger people and beginners that were plain bad.

That's my thoughts too. On the few youtube videos I've seen of his place he's dealing with established athletes that could probably do well under anyone.

i think discerning that defranco is only working with established atheletes as a negative is a bit like the slippery slope.

he isnt, for one - he also has lower tier atheletes. the other point is that even if he is, it is natural for a high level coach to 1. display for public the most high level atheletes he has, and their results. 2. to get that sort of clientelle, since he only has limited time and resource and they will pay more and give him more status.

this guy rippetoe prides himself in "building up" newcomers. but how hard is that really? not very hard compared to training someone who is an elite athelte intelligently.

of course im not an authority. who do u guys suggest is even better?

Should have added that Cush may or may not have had some help at one point or another. I firmly believe those allegations are completely false.

Cushing da god.

Yea you're right, I"M sure none of the other 250+ lbs men with 4.7s 40's had any help either... :icon_chee

Still, cushing is insane...that headbutt? damn man lol.

Cushing da god.

Lol so you believe that he tested positive because he worked out really hard, then? That was what he said.

Give me a break.

Yea you're right, I"M sure none of the other 250+ lbs men with 4.7s 40's had any help either... :icon_chee

Still, cushing is insane...that headbutt? damn man lol.

Lol so you believe that he tested positive because he worked out really hard, then? That was what he said.

Give me a break.

Over trained athlete syndrome is serious business!

Im being sarcastic, Cushing was juiced out of his fucking mind lol.

Over trained athlete syndrome is serious business!

Im being sarcastic, Cushing was juiced out of his fucking mind lol.

I figured you were, looking back my post looked much more like a serious response than i meant it to. haha :icon_chee

Rippetoe

SS and Practical Programming are the two highest selling books on S&C ever and he's a charter member of the CSCS.

It's not even debatable, and pretty much anyone who comes close was an associate of his at some point(Starr, Pendlay)

So much Fail, so little time...:rolleyes:

First, and I actually like Rip, he knows as much about Conditioning as I do about Quantum Physics. He's purely a Strength Coach who specializes in helping novice lifters increase their strength as quickly as possible. In other words, he's an expert on how to milk Noob Gainz.

He was a decent Powerlifter in his prime, but far from spectacular. Some of his views on Olympic Lifting are, frankly, embarrassing. Offhand, I couldn't name a single elite level athlete he trains.

He's not even the best Strength Coach in the USA, leaving out the Conditioning aspect entirely.

Where did this "charter member of the CSCS" start? Not the first time I have seen this.

So much Fail, so little time...:rolleyes:

First, and I actually like Rip, he knows as much about Conditioning as I do about Quantum Physics. He's purely a Strength Coach who specializes in helping novice lifters increase their strength as quickly as possible. In other words, he's an expert on how to milk Noob Gainz.

He was a decent Powerlifter in his prime, but far from spectacular. Some of his views on Olympic Lifting are, frankly, embarrassing. Offhand, I couldn't name a single elite level athlete he trains.

He's not even the best Strength Coach in the USA, leaving out the Conditioning aspect entirely.

I blame Rip entirely for my shit power cleans.

Although I should probably take some responsibility here its easier to just blame him.

I blame Rip entirely for my shit power cleans.

Although I should probably take some responsibility here its easier to just blame him.

I seem to recall reading where one of his "starting strength certified"* coaches told someone that they needed to round their back more to ensure that they pulled their power clean in a straight line.

I nearly shit a sharp clawed kitten.

*As if we do not have enough fucking certs as it is. Too much paperwork, not enough results.

i think discerning that defranco is only working with established atheletes as a negative is a bit like the slippery slope.

he isnt, for one - he also has lower tier atheletes. the other point is that even if he is, it is natural for a high level coach to 1. display for public the most high level atheletes he has, and their results. 2. to get that sort of clientelle, since he only has limited time and resource and they will pay more and give him more status.

this guy rippetoe prides himself in "building up" newcomers. but how hard is that really? not very hard compared to training someone who is an elite athelte intelligently.

of course im not an authority. who do u guys suggest is even better?

To make my post more clear, I am not saying that he just has high level athletes that would be fine without his help. I am saying that I have seen videos of him training younger clientele or less experienced clientele, and it was not pretty. This was years ago, so I can't really comment on his recent training exploits as I don't follow him.

Who are we talking about here? Brand new BJJ white belts training MMA or top level UFC fighters. For the former the best strength coach out there is Rippetoe. Nobody even comes close to reaching out and teaching as many new strength trainees as Rip. As for conditioning, why would someone brand new to martial arts need to train conditioning if they're on the mat every other day drilling?

Back