The best S&C coach in the US?

akqjt

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm curious to think whom you guys think are on the cutting edge of S&C for MMA in the United States. Obviously Joel Jamieson is well-respected around these parts for good reason. Are there many others like him? I've also been looking at Robert Forster's stuff, as well; he works with Joe Warren and Chris Camozzi by the looks of his Twitter page.

Any thoughts? If you could pick the brain of any S&C guy in the country, whom would you choose?

Rippetoe

SS and Practical Programming are the two highest selling books on S&C ever and he's a charter member of the CSCS.

It's not even debatable, and pretty much anyone who comes close was an associate of his at some point(Starr, Pendlay)

Rippetoe dosen't know jack shit about conditioning.

Rippetoe

SS and Practical Programming are the two highest selling books on S&C ever and he's a charter member of the CSCS.

It's not even debatable, and pretty much anyone who comes close was an associate of his at some point(Starr, Pendlay)

o_O

I'm pretty sure Rippetoe took Bill Star's conceptualization of training and made SS out of it.

Heck, pretty much all popular linear program these days takes Bill Star's ideals as its basis.

I'm curious to think whom you guys think are on the cutting edge of S&C for MMA in the United States. Obviously Joel Jamieson is well-respected around these parts for good reason. Are there many others like him? I've also been looking at Robert Forster's stuff, as well; he works with Joe Warren and Chris Camozzi by the looks of his Twitter page.

Any thoughts? If you could pick the brain of any S&C guy in the country, whom would you choose?

http://www.hhdev.psu.edu/profile/VladimirZatsiorsky

Rippetoe

lolno.

Al Vermeil. S&C coach for the Montana 49ers and the Jordan Bulls. Only S&C coach to work NBA, NFL, and MLB.

It depends what you're looking for. I am a huge fan of Pete Bommarito when it comes to sport performance.

Rippetoe

Mother of god you cant be serious.

I'm very biased, but I might choose Josh Bryant. He's got a great strength background (benched 600 at 22, then squatted 909 and deadlifted 810), he's an ISSA MFS, and he's got one of the most impressive lists of clients of any strength trainer (Robert Wilkerson, Orlando Green, Jeremy Hoornstra, Brandon Cass, Dan Kyser, Brandon Braner, BJ Whitehead, Richard Ficca). The combo of a great athletic career, plus great S&C credentials, plus a great client list makes him very appealing.

Rippetoe

S&C coach usually means someone who works full time or on an extended basis with individual athletes or teams. Top S&C coaches work with top pros, top teams and Olympians. While I don't doubt that Rippetoe gets to work with good or even very good athletes from time to time, I don't believe that he much record of managing the entirety of any successful athletes' S&C for an extended period of time. That's not what he does- he's a gym owner and writer, and his specialty is introductory strength programming.

Even if the question was just "who is the biggest authority on strength in the country"(totally different from "best S&C coach" of course( it probably wouldn't be Rippetoe. He hasn't produced many/any top lifters and theoretically he's not at the top level. Having published the two best-selling introductory texts doesn't make you the best.

Rippetoe

The man thinks the hamstrings are essential in the squat. He's no where near the top.

Im thinking steve maxwell, Im actually thinking of hiring him to help with a few things sport related.

Rippetoe

I hope you are trolling.

Pioneers:

Louis Ricke and Clyde Emrich

Raised the bar and really helped cement the role of S&C coaches in pro sports:

John Gamble.

Collegiate:

Michael W. Favre

Pro:

Too hard to say. Too many variables.

Specifically for MMA: no idea, not really seen a lot that was "cutting edge" that was actually worthwhile. MMA S&C is still in its infancy, which is why you see so many fighters doing so much stupid shit.

Last edited:
"Baseball guy" or not, if I were a pro and I had to pick one guy to take control of my S&C, it would probably be Eric Cressey.

I hope you are trolling.

Pioneers:

Louis Ricke and Clyde Emrich

Raised the bar and really helped cement the role of S&C coaches in pro sports:

John Gamble.

Collegiate:

Michael W. Favre

Pro:

Too hard to say. Too many variables.

Specifically for MMA: no idea, not really seen a lot that was "cutting edge" that was actually worthwhile. MMA S&C is still in its infancy, which is why you see so many fighters doing so much stupid shit.

I'm trolling? The OP suggested Joel fucking Jamieson and almost everyone who quoted me didn't have a reasonable alternative.

Rippetoe for life

He actually writes worthwhile peer reviewed texts on S&C as opposed to a charlatan maintaining a 2$ blog or a glorified babysitter for college kids or pros(almost all of whom have their own personal coaches during the off season and are roided out to the gills anyways).

Back