The best and worst "Amercanized" international cuisines

Clearly the answer for best is pizza!
1000s.jpg

yuck

pizza-roof.gif

Benihana's or copycat teppanyaki places. The original restaurants have some Japanese dude doing tricks, twirling knives, etc. I've been to some hick towns where instead of Hiroshi doing the cooking, there's some Mexican dude named Jose doing the cooking without the tricks.

I do love Americanized Chinese buffets.

Best: Chinese easily.

Worst: any Mexican restaurant in the state of Utah
Weird inversion of reality

American Chinese food is absolute crap. I went to a popular Chinese place for thanksgiving, ordered a ton of food, and hated everything I got. That's my experience every time I try giving Chinese another go. Everything is just smothered in oil, soggy, watery, bland. Yuck. But when I watch cooking videos or documentaries about authentic Chinese cuisine in China, it looks absolutely amazing.

Utah, particularly Salt Lake, has a large Latino population (about 20%). Most of West Valley is basically little Mexico. And as you would expect with those demographics there is a ton of great Mexican food in Salt Lake.

Tex Mex is code for a pound of shredded cheese in this country.

my contribution -

best: Thai and Japanese food
worst: Chinese

Burritos are my favorite food, so I would go with them and Tex-mex/Cali-Mex in general.

I've been to Italy, and I think good pizza from locally owned places in several regions of the United State is better than authentic Italian pizza.

Back