The best and worst "Amercanized" international cuisines

Daverisimo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I feels like Americanized foods run a pretty big gamut. There are some that I think any sane person should be able to recognize are complete and utter dogshit (ie, Olive Garden, or any taco made by a white person in the Midwest), but there are some that are actually pretty competitive with their "authentic" counterparts (New Mexican food is great, and I will fight you if you disagree).

There are also some that are kind of complicated, especially Americanized Chinese food. I really hate the fact that so many Americans have no idea how varied actual Chinese food is, and have never tried Sichuanese or Hunanese food for example. Sometimes though, I really find myself craving some general Tso's chicken, especially if you order it extra spicy and they throw in a bunch of chilis. Fucking food of the gods right there.

not sure if it's "americanized" or not, but there is some killer K-chicken.... two thumbs up

Definitely Chinese food for me, I dont know what real Chinese food tastes like but I know the stuff I get from the little mom and pop shops around town is freaking amaaaazing!

French Fries

DC_202002_6053_LargeFries_832x472:nutrition-calculator-tile

1.) Tex-Mex
2.) Chinese
3.) Mexicans working in medigan/medagon "Italian" kitchen

woah calling new Mexican food americanized is gonna start a fight with me if any thing the American food was mexicanized
chiles make anything better

American chinese food is it's own thing and it's good
I have lived in china for 10 years and I would choose chinese food over the American stuff mainly because the the authentic cuisine has a wider range of flavors and options that I prefer
ie: spicy, mala, breads and buns, rice / cellophane noodles, sour and BBQ options

Chinese food is probably as much as anything down to most early immigrants being from Hong Kong and Canton so Cantonese food has become ingrained as standard "chinese", the same way "Italian" is really more Neapolitan.

Most of them are pretty good. Just because something isn't authentic doesn't mean it isn't good in its' own way. Generally speaking I think Americans get Italian food wrong in the most egregious way. Italian food is all about making simple, quality ingredients sing. This is the natural enemy of Americans' tendency to go for low quality, canned, processed ingredients. It's not like other cuisines where you can compensate for bad ingredients with a ton of spice, fat, sugar, intricate cooking technique, etc. If the ingredients going into it are shit, it's just a flop. People often don't even realize it's a flop because they have no experience of the real thing.

We do Chinese food better.

Not sure about Mexican as a whole but the Burritos/fish tacos in San Diego are better than anywhere in the world, including mexico. God Bless the American Mexican

Mexican cuisine in the states that originally belonged to Mexico is one of the best

It's probably pizza. I respect the general and his fried candied chicken goodness but non American Chinese cuisine has a ton of variety.

I had fish and chips from Long John Silver's in America and it was edible, but much worse than a UK chippy.

Also, British Chinese is even worse than American Chinese food lol. Same for Indian I'd say (American is on average less bastardised), excluding places aimed at immigrants.

Back