The bacteria in your digestive system might determine your weight

I CAN ATTEST to this - I was on 3 round of anitbiotics 2yrs ago and it completely fucked up my stomach and killed off the bacteria.

I did not gain weight but it was when I started getting panic attacks, was not digesting food properly. Still dealing with it now.

Take a probiotic a few times a week, drink and eat fermented food/drinks.

There is quit a bit of info about the stomach(bacteria) mind connection.

I've heard some stories that ani biotics can have some side effects.
Any more experiences ?

I CAN ATTEST to this - I was on 3 round of anitbiotics 2yrs ago and it completely fucked up my stomach and killed off the bacteria.

I did not gain weight but it was when I started getting panic attacks, was not digesting food properly. Still dealing with it now.

Take a probiotic a few times a week, drink and eat fermented food/drinks.

There is quit a bit of info about the stomach(bacteria) mind connection.

Did you try a probiotic pill supplement, the refrigerated kind with 50 billion bacteria from different strains?

Did you try a probiotic pill supplement, the refrigerated kind with 50 billion bacteria from different strains?
yes - buy one and take one 1-3 times a week.

Also, drink or eat fermented food daily -

gut health is super important and once it gets out of whack it leads to poor nutrient absorbtian which makes you crave unhealthy food which can make or keep you fat and nutrient defiencies that can lead to a whole host of health issues that can compound and reinforice patterns that make you sick.

yes - buy one and take one 1-3 times a week.

Also, drink or eat fermented food daily -

It's crazy you're still having issues 2 years on. I know some parents who run to doctors who get their kids on antibiotics at the slightest sign of anything wrong, I know early use of antibiotics has been linked to higher weight as an adult. My parents never ran to the doctor if I had a banal illness as a kid, I turned out just fine. People are conditioned to panic and over-use the health care system.

The whole gut microbiome is newer science and very interesting stuff. Some studies have shown that the specific bacteria in your gut can also effect your brain via the vagus nerve.

Vagus_Nerve.jpeg

I started taking probiotics as a result of reading some information about this. You can get them from fermented foods like sauerkraut, yogurt, tempeh, etc., but I don't really like most of that stuff so I just take the supplement. Fascinating field and I'll be watching it closely as studies continue to be done.

It's crazy you're still having issues 2 years on.
Not crazy at all, in fact, he will have issues for the rest of his life, as will anyone else who turns to antibiotics in the presence of any viral infection, let alone when its not even there.

Glutamine and collagen are paramount to repair intestinal lining damage. Fermented foods should be a normal part of dietary intake. Raw yogurt and kefir are incredible, although finding raw versions takes some effort.

From the information I have gathered a lot of the issue is the food chain has been fucked with by substituting the natural feedstock of livestock with grainfed diets.

This makes the butter, milk and meat of the animal products we consume lacking in nutrients that would ordinarily be in them which leads to nutrient deficient people.

This combined with north americans tendency to remove animal organs from our diets which would ordinarily be in suasages and pates or a regular part of the diet and a general lack of nutrient dense vegtables and fermented foods are the main culprits of the majority of health problems.

There is also too much sugar in the diet which leads to insulin insensitivity.

North Americans tend to demonize fats and carbs but the French and mediteranian diets are loaded with fats and carbs and they don't suffer from all the health issues that plague Americans.

I know there's been studies on FMT (fecal matter transplant) somehow transferring the build of the person from whom they received the transplant. I don't get how there aren't more studies on this if it's supposedly that good.
NOVA, the PBS science show just did a piece on it.

A woman literally ate 30 pills filled with poo. Cured her (at least until tge taping of the show) of her ailments.

Which is actually a true statement.

But also more complex than one might think. So in respect to this article how do you measure the 'calories in' when considering something like this? We often do not realize how the body metabolizes calories in and things like this, time or day you eat, etc can all, in my estimation, play a big part.

Insulin levels have a big impact on fat mobilization and explains why calories in vs out fails for so many people. Add to that the adaptation process, and you have a recipe for long-term failure.

I've heard some stories that ani biotics can have some side effects.
Any more experiences ?
that was really the first time I've ever had that much of an issue and reaction to antibiotics - granted I've never been on straight rounds of them.

It really opened my eyes to the gut health and it's effect on your brain.

It's crazy you're still having issues 2 years on. I know some parents who run to doctors who get their kids on antibiotics at the slightest sign of anything wrong, I know early use of antibiotics has been linked to higher weight as an adult. My parents never ran to the doctor if I had a banal illness as a kid, I turned out just fine. People are conditioned to panic and over-use the health care system.
Dude. Yes. My cousin takes her kid for antibiotics every time he gets a cold or flu. Which of course does absolutely nothing.

Fat people research every excuse to not eat healthy or exercise. This sounds like another excuse I'd expect this fat guy I know to make. Dude is also depressed and extremely negative and his eating habits probably affect his mood. gut bacteria probably won't thrive well on taco bell.

that was really the first time I've ever had that much of an issue and reaction to antibiotics - granted I've never been on straight rounds of them.

It really opened my eyes to the gut health and it's effect on your brain.
Their appears to be a strong connection to 'gut health' and psychosis related 'disorders' or states or whatever the fuck they are calling them these days such as panic attacks, manic depression or bipolar and the schizophrenias according to articles I've read.

The only thing that determines your weight is how much you eat in relation to how much your body uses.

Stomach bacteria can certainly play a factor, as well as many other things.

Back