The bacteria in your digestive system might determine your weight

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some dieters struggle more than others to lose weight, despite following sensible advice, and this may come down to the bacteria in our guts. Specifically, the enzymes carried within it.

“What we eat is available to us, and to the bacteria inside our guts, which digest parts of food we lack the enzymes to do,” says Purna Kashyap, associate professor at the Mayo Clinic and head of its Gut Microbiome Laboratory.

“This process generates additional calories that the gut microbiota can give back to us, so it’s a mutually beneficial relationship where bacteria give us more bang for our buck from what we eat,” he says.

Kashyap tested to see if, when switching to a lower-calorie diet, gut bacteria can be more efficient in deriving calories from food, which would be helpful when food isn’t plentiful, but could also hinder weight loss.

In a pilot study, 26 participants went on a lower-calorie diet high in fruit and vegetables, and some didn’t lose as much weight as others. Analysis of their gut bacteria found participants had different levels of two particular types of bacteria, and one, Dialister, that hindered weight loss.

In those unable to lose weight, this bacteria was able to break down carbohydrates and use their energy. more effectively, Kashyap says.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190212-could-gut-bacteria-microbes-make-you-fat

I've often thought about how the efficiency of the digestive system could determine the size of a person or an animal and this study seems to show a link.

In high school, the guy who wrestled in the lightest weight class only weighed 96 pounds. The coaches wanted him to get closer to the 106 limit and told him to eat more. This guy would eat twice as much as guys who wrestled in the heaviest classes and never gained a pound. Food seemed to go through him as fast as he ate it. The guy in the 113 pound class was the same way. When some on the team had to be careful about how much they ate, these to guys were packing away the food. Neither of these guys had any body fat and couldn't float in water.

A more efficient digestive system that could pack on body fat would have been an advantage in surviving the times when food was scarce. Studies are finding that some women are too fit to get pregnant because a certain amount of body fat seems to be necessary. It makes sense that having a reserve supply to feed any offspring would be necessary.
Can You Be Too Fit To Conceive? - Furthermore

Puberty seems to happen sooner in humans with higher body fat levels. Body fat would indicate that food is plentiful making it a good time to reproduce.

Maybe a genetic advantage from the past is causing the obesity we see in countries where food is plentiful.

Apparently all you need to know is calories in, calories out.

That sounds backwards.

Here:
What you eat dictates if you're fat AND dictates which bacteria flourishes in your stomach.

If fatties put as much effort into exercising and eating better as they do coming up with new excuses for their obesity, they'd probably be a lot better off and rest of us wouldn't have to sit next to manatees on airplanes.

Often mentioned with the theory is that regular antibiotic use will cause weight gain. The theory goes that antibiotics kill off good gut bacteria which then leads to weight gain.

In raising animals antibiotics are used to not only for fighting infections but to also fatten up live stock.

It appears that same might be happening with humans that regularly take antibiotics.

A little on this theory can be read here:

https://juliecoffey.com/can-antibiotics-cause-weight-gain/

Apparently all you need to know is calories in, calories out.
Which is actually a true statement.

But also more complex than one might think. So in respect to this article how do you measure the 'calories in' when considering something like this? We often do not realize how the body metabolizes calories in and things like this, time or day you eat, etc can all, in my estimation, play a big part.

Would you trans-poo-sion transplant Brad Pitt's poo into your system if it'll transform you into a fit Brad Pitt clone? I may have just given Gweneth Paltrow another crazy idea to make money selling her crazy shit, literally: celeb gut bacteria transplants.

Can You Be Too Fit To Conceive? - Furthermore

Puberty seems to happen sooner in humans with higher body fat levels. Body fat would indicate that food is plentiful making it a good time to reproduce.

Maybe a genetic advantage from the past is causing the obesity we see in countries where food is plentiful.
Years ago, I read a study where the author was trying to link early puberty in girls with sexualizing in mass media.

However, as her study continued, she didn't see a link.

So, she looked deeper into the study and saw that girls that hit puberty early all had much higher rates of calcium in their bodies.

She concluded that we are hitting puberty earlier because we consume too much dairy.

So this is why rich people are shoving some other healthy person's shit up their ass, to sequester the good bacteria.

Also if any vegan ever tries to tell you humans are not supposed to eat meat...gut bacteria says otherwise

Years ago, I read a study where the author was trying to link early puberty in girls with sexualizing in mass media.

So, she looked deeper into the study and saw that girls that hit puberty early all had much higher rates of calcium in their bodies.

She concluded that we are hitting puberty earlier because we consume too much dairy.
I just washed this whole thing on youtube about calcium build up in the body due to a lack of vitamin K2 in modern American diets. Supposedly vitamin K2, which comes from eating the consumables of animals that eat grass, is responsible for directing calcium into the bones and without it calcium just builds up everywhere throughout the body.

So this is why rich people are shoving some other healthy person's shit up their ass, to sequester the good bacteria.

Also if any vegan ever tries to tell you humans are not supposed to eat meat...gut bacteria says otherwise
Herbivores have intestines that are twice as long as ours.

Carnivores have intestines that are half as long as ours.

We are supposed to be omnivores

Would you trans-poo-sion transplant Brad Pitt's poo into your system if it'll transform you into a fit Brad Pitt clone? I may have just given Gweneth Paltrow another crazy idea to make money selling her crazy shit, literally: celeb gut bacteria transplants.

Immune systems are different and determine what bacteria can live in your digestive system.

There this product called Yakult.
It's a small bottle with bacteria for your digestion.
Taste really good.
Who believes that is beneficial for you ?

Last edited:
There this product called Yakult.
It's a small bottle bacteria voor your digestion.
Taste really good.
Who believes that is beneficial for you ?
Reminds me of eating melted Jello mixed with Cool Whip or spray on whipped cream. I think it only has that one Japanese strain of a bacteria where yogurt I eat has like 3 or 4 diff strains.

The body fat percentage makes sense in early onset of puberty as they would have a better chance of being able to have children. Nature tries to reproduce as soon as possible.

I know there's been studies on FMT (fecal matter transplant) somehow transferring the build of the person from whom they received the transplant. I don't get how there aren't more studies on this if it's supposedly that good.

Often mentioned with the theory is that regular antibiotic use will cause weight gain. The theory goes that antibiotics kill off good gut bacteria which then leads to weight gain.
I CAN ATTEST to this - I was on 3 round of anitbiotics 2yrs ago and it completely fucked up my stomach and killed off the bacteria.

I did not gain weight but it was when I started getting panic attacks, was not digesting food properly. Still dealing with it now.

Take a probiotic a few times a week, drink and eat fermented food/drinks.

There is quit a bit of info about the stomach(bacteria) mind connection.

Back