The bacteria in your digestive system might determine your weight

The only thing that determines your weight is how much you eat in relation to how much your body uses.

Yet, the system is incredibly complex and poorly understood.

Yet, the system is incredibly complex and poorly understood.

Sure. Like I said, there are many factors at play that determine how quickly your body metabolizes your caloric intake. But if you can accurately determine your BMR, weight loss and weight gain is tremendously easy for the vast majority of people.

No it does not. It might contribute. But the sole responsibility is on your habits and actions.

Fat people research every excuse to not eat healthy or exercise. This sounds like another excuse I'd expect this fat guy I know to make. Dude is also depressed and extremely negative and his eating habits probably affect his mood. gut bacteria probably won't thrive well on taco bell.

There's a lot of new evidence coming out that weight isn't the straightforward thing we thought it was. For instance the biggest loser study, where they found that ex-contestants were burning 400-500 calories less than controls of the equal weight, 6 years after the show had ended. Their metabolism had been damaged in a permanent to semi-permanent way. It's hard to say if it was the extreme regimen they were put on, 1200 calories a day on top of 6 hours of exercise, which caused their body to freak out. Or if this is a phenomenon that happens to everyone who loses weight. Even if the metabolism didn't slow down, there are also non-caloric factors that can push people in the direction of gaining back the weight e.g. hunger (regulation of leptin) and energy levels, which aren't easily measurable.

There are also some obesity studies coming from the field of epigenetics (gene expression). Chemical exposure in the womb (Bisphenol-A), inherited gene expressions, early stress and trauma, etc, can switch on and off certain genes and make the offspring much more susceptible to obesity. The genes can affect reward pathways in the brain, hunger and cell changes associated with metabolic syndrome.

Here's where it gets interesting. Obese mothers and fathers pass down their epigenetic profile to their children, and this profile can last multiple generations. Which means that in the US and many other countries we could be at this very moment rewiring the entire population to be epigenetically fat-as-fuck, in a persistent way which has never happened before. It initially started with people eating too much, but those people were "healthy" on a epigenetic level, however their offspring aren't.

I've heard some stories that ani biotics can have some side effects.
Any more experiences ?

I've been on antibiotics a couple times to clear up infections, both times I ended up with diarrhea within 12-14 hours of starting the course and the runs didn't stop until a day or 2 after I stopped taking them.

So you're telling me it's not the pizza and the 6-pack I downed yesterday while watching the fights? It's the stupid bacteria!

Called it.

dsc01867-corn-oo.jpg

BIG CORN HAPPENED IT'S A THING.

Last edited:
I wasn't a puberty monster, but I hit it a little earlier than most of my friends. By the end of the 7th grade I was pretty much full grown. I only grew an inch from 8th grade and on.

I wasn't a fat kid, but I was a little chubby, because the medicine I took contained steroids.

If fatties put as much effort into exercising and eating better as they do coming up with new excuses for their obesity, they'd probably be a lot better off and rest of us wouldn't have to sit next to manatees on airplanes.

I don't give a damn about male persons.

I don't give a fuck if every single male person on Planet Earth is obese.

The only part of obesity that I despise is the fact that it's also increasing the waists, flab percentages, and blubber percentages of female persons.

I don't give a damn about male persons.

I don't give a fuck if every single male person on Planet Earth is obese.

The only part of obesity that I despise is the fact that it's also increasing the waists, flab percentages, and blubber percentages of female persons.
how old are you 15?

how old are you 15?

The fact is, I am currently 28 years old (seriously).

I've definitely been on airplanes before but I don't use them very often.

The other user (nostradumbass) mentioned traveling on airplanes.

I know there's been studies on FMT (fecal matter transplant) somehow transferring the build of the person from whom they received the transplant. I don't get how there aren't more studies on this if it's supposedly that good.

It's been a common procedure for at least 9 years and the leading cure for Crohn's disease. I'm loosely involved with a study (on the diagnostics piece) with obesity patients receiving familial fecal transplants. Many of these patients lose weight without changing their diet.

You know the expression 'you are what you eat'? Well it turns out to be true in terms of gut bacteria.

It's mind boggling how so many people have such a simplistic view of weight gain/loss, and yet everyone thinks they are a certified expert on it. There's too much unknown about all the factors that can or could affect metabolism, and still so many seem to assume everyone's metabolic rate is the exact same (why would that even be?)

The thing i find really interesting is how the gastrointestinal system may affect the rest of the body, especially the brain. The fecal matter transplant stuff seems insane to me, but apparently it can be beneficial. I'm real curious about how that sort of thing and more so probiotics will develop over time. Could help a lot of people in a lot of different ways.

So from what I've been reading the last week other components of digestion are probiotics but also prebiotics that feed the gut flora. Inulin and beta glucan will cover that which is probably easiest to just supplement.

Then their are digestive enzymes which help break down the food which are produced by the pancreas, liver and I think the kidneys. Their are supplements that cover those enzymes and their is other enzymes like bromelain that is derived from pineapples which also helps with inflammation. Inflammation has a pretty significant effect on digestion as well so things that sooth inflammation will really help with digestion if they are not rough on the liver such as consuming frankincense resin.

Then their is the livers role in digestion which is done through bile. The supplement TUDCA seems to be the bees knees as far as liver health goes so that is probably the one to consume.

That is probably enough info right their to correct most digestive issues.

Back