• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Anime and Manga Thread v48

HOLY SHIT!

Watched the 1st 4 episodes straight. Production IG making movie quality weekly anime series since forever.
If the rumors of it getting an anime are true, Studio IG is my main choice besides KyoAni to do the series Medalist for this very reason.

I don't know the Manga landscape. Are there any successful North American products? Do you guys prefer B&W or colour? What's the most popular genre?

Tx for the help!
Manga is a term that specifically describes Japanese comics, so there are no North American entries by definition -- those are just comics. Korean are Manhwa, and Chinese are Manhua. There are western artists who work in a similar style to those originally created/popularized by east-asian artists, but none of them that I'm aware of have the same level of reach. On Webtoon there are lots of series by Americans, but the Korean entries are still the most popular. The most popular genres are perennially 'action shonen.' Shonen is not actually a genre, but a target demographic: they're meant for boys. Shoujo is meant for girls, Senein is meant for men, and Josei is for women. There can be considerable demo-overlap between series, with some shonen being quite violent (Fist of the North Star was published in a shonen magazine).

Personally, I have no preference between color or b/w. There's amazing work done in both. There's also dogshit work done in both.

If you're interested in trying some stuff out, go look over at Webtoon [LINK]. It's free and it's all officially licensed. Some series to get you going (these would all fall under the 'action shonen' umbrella)
Return of the Blossoming Blade [LINK]
The Lazy Lord Masters the Sword [LINK]
Tower of God [LINK]
Omniscient Reader [LINK]
The World After the Fall [LINK]

Last edited:
I don't know the Manga landscape. Are there any successful North American products? Do you guys prefer B&W or colour? What's the most popular genre?

Tx for the help!
B&W is still more popular due to time constraints during production. Most popular are still the "hero's journey" shonen type. Psychological/gore in seinen series is probably a close 2nd here on sherdog.

I tried watching Made in the Abyss at the gym just now. I am pretty sure I am on some pedo list now. Jackass Forever was the same thing. I did not make it past the intro.

I tried watching Made in the Abyss at the gym just now. I am pretty sure I am on some pedo list now. Jackass Forever was the same thing. I did not make it past the intro.
It gets better. WAAAAAAYYYY better. MiA makes the promised neverland look like doraemon.

I just can't watch it in public. That MC girl gets naked way too much.
1njhck.jpg

Lol I forgot about those parts. It does get crazy good and very dark.
My anime time is usually at the gym when I am doing cardio. I always pick the cardio machine behind the weight section so everyone behind me doing cardio can see what I am doing. I don't give a shit if adults see me watching anime.

Some anime is no bueno in public. I was watching Hell's Paradise the other day. There are some random scenes of nudity.

Damn is this another one I need to add to my list?
It is worth a watch. It has a good mix of everything.

Also Kingdom is pretty good too but I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea. The animation is a bit jenky though. I think the first season was made when CGI was first used in anime. My Swedish homegirl swears Kingdom manga is on the same level as Berserk and Vagabond.

It is worth a watch. It has a good mix of everything.

Also Kingdom is pretty good too but I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea. The animation is a bit jenky though. I think the first season was made when CGI was first used in anime. My Swedish homegirl swears Kingdom manga is on the same level as Berserk and Vagabond.
I will check it out. I tried watching Kingdom, but the CGI was so horrible I just couldn't get through the first episode

Loved watching S-Cry-ed growing up on Adult Swim. Wish it was a longer series.

And of course Big-O

It’s Showtime!

Back