Television The Anime and Manga Thread: v45

I just finished watching Beatless and now Lacia is my top waifu list of 2022. The series was sooo deep to the point that i’ve developed strong emotional attachment to her.

8c0e4a0ea8c318a6888a9eb83817da14.gif

Last edited:
DBZ, YuYu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, The Slayers, Romeo's Blue Skies.

God I wish this didn’t have such an inconsistent release schedule.

@JBSchroeds Latest Northen Blade , bunch of different plot points going on. Also poison vagrant shows he is loyal, but he is in prime position for the Scheming Female antagonist to use her abilities on. Also she seemed to have connections to the Minister so she might be on the cusp of being a member of the twin Asuras or will try to use them to elevate her goals.

@JBSchroeds Latest Northen Blade , bunch of different plot points going on. Also poison vagrant shows he is loyal, but he is in prime position for the Scheming Female antagonist to use her abilities on. Also she seemed to have connections to the Minister so she might be on the cusp of being a member of the twin Asuras or will try to use them to elevate her goals.
Those last two panels were hilarious. Sorry lady, your titties hold no power here.

Not really sure how I feel about swole Nezuko

I get it she's supposed to be 17 but at the same time, I'm not really surprised about people's reactions about this. Especially those who never read or seen Demon Slayers. I mean in many countries, 14 is considered underage. So, it's understandable to a casual person, this comes across as "icky".

At the same time, I'm not surprised. This isn't the first time Japan did something like this and it will likely not be the last. Hell, this was the entire concept of a manga by the Godfather of Manga himself, Osamu Tezuka, which was used to teach Sex Education. If people are shocked about Nezuko's transformation, just wait until they see about 90% of anime from Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball, Sailor Moon... etc.

That's why when this whole discourse occurred, my first reaction was simply to shrug.

This would have likely ended sooner or later but then geek news sites and online culture war reactionaries (both on the woke and anti-woke) decided to talk about it and that's when this whole discourse blew up.

https://twitter.com/BBally81/status/1483814319980691463/analytics

I really think if the Netflix "Cowboy Bebop" had been named anything else and the creators were like "we're taking a ton of inspiration from the anime Cowboy Bebop but this is our own thing with our own characters" it'd have done way better. The fact they tried to shot for shot re-create some scenes and botched as well as TOTALLY botched the characters of Viscious, Julia, and Grim shows the runners didn't know what the fuck they were doing.

Also, I need to stop watching so many damn "slice of life" shows....
Bunny Senpai
Kaguya Sama
Nagatoro

This new Hina doll maker making cosplay costumes for the local school thot show....

I get it she's supposed to be 17 but at the same time, I'm not really surprised about people's reactions about this. Especially those who never read or seen Demon Slayers. I mean in many countries, 14 is considered underage. So, it's understandable to a casual person, this comes across as "icky".

At the same time, I'm not surprised. This isn't the first time Japan did something like this and it will likely not be the last. Hell, this was the entire concept of a manga by the Godfather of Manga himself, Osamu Tezuka, which was used to teach Sex Education. If people are shocked about Nezuko's transformation, just wait until they see about 90% of anime from Naruto, Bleach, Dragonball, Sailor Moon... etc.

That's why when this whole discourse occurred, my first reaction was simply to shrug.

This would have likely ended sooner or later but then geek news sites and online culture war reactionaries (both on the woke and anti-woke) decided to talk about it and that's when this whole discourse blew up.
All I'm going to say about big tiddy Nezuko:

This is a world where people are being CUT IN HALF and being eaten by demons and the biggest issue people have where they pearl clutch "think of the chirren" is a teenage female character having a major glow up and growing tits... them people need to look into the mirror to realize they're focusing on the WRONG thing and this show:

May be a shounen but it's NOT for kids. It'd be like someone seeing Ein in Bebop then seeing the goofier parts of Black Lagoon and noting the similarties in animation and thinking it's for kids then freaking out when this scene happens:

Case in point, Attack on Titan is still considered a shounen series and it gets fucking graphic in 10 minutes. Konosuba is very cutesy designed and animated but the story features/jokes are very obviously intended for at minimum perverted teenagers and adults with gutter senses of humor (like me).

Hell, you could go down the list and a lot of the shounen probably shouldn't be viewed by kids under like 12 anyways. Even the more common ones like Bleach or Naruto.

Think about it. Naruto all the characters are well under 16 and are child soldiers fighting a fucking terrorist in one of the first arcs (Zabuza). Bleach has characters like Kenpachi who's whole existence is as much wanton violence as can be created because he enjoys it. Dragonball Z is tame compared to most modern shows but even that has characters like Broly who are literally walking nuclear bombs.

Shounen Jump also had series like Hellsing in it that are clearly not for children. Basically, people need to realize the demos these shows are for and cartoons aren't just for the kids.

Last edited:
May be a shounen but it's NOT for kids.
Sorry, the pedant is kicking in, feel free to ignore this post. Shonen/senin/shoujo/josie aren't specific genres, they are target audiences. So shonen are for kids, specifically boys 12-18. Sure, not elementary schoolers, but middle- and high-schoolers.
Hell, you could go down the list and a lot of the shounen probably shouldn't be viewed by kids under like 12 anyways.
I wouldn't disagree with that, and they're not meant to be the target audience, at least not in japan. The west is still stuck in animation-is-for-little-children mode.

I wouldn't disagree with that, and they're not meant to be the target audience, at least not in japan. The west is still stuck in animation-is-for-little-children mode.
I actually got into it with someone from high school about anime recently. They had the same tired "anime is for children" argument so I posted the bar scene from Season 2 episode 1 of Black Lagoon (the Hansel and Gretel intro), the story of Hansel and Gretel told by Balalaika when they figure out who the kids were, and then clips from like AoT or some other show and was like:
"So these are for children?"

Never got a response. I had DxD clips and shit lined up too to further prove my point lol.

Sorry, the pedant is kicking in, feel free to ignore this post. Shonen/senin/shoujo/josie aren't specific genres, they are target audiences. So shonen are for kids, specifically boys 12-18. Sure, not elementary schoolers, but middle- and high-schoolers.
I get it, but I feel like the west sees characters like say Chopper in One Piece and are like "oh, this is a show for 8 year olds!"

Yeah... totally.

An 8 year old is TOTALLY gonna understand and be able to comprehend the events of like Marineford or the entire point of the Fishman Island arc.

It just annoys me the west sees "cartoons" and immediately assumes it's for kids. Demon Slayer pretty clearly isn't as is a lot of other shows that fall into that "shounen" realm.

EDIT:
Not angry at you JBS just.. venting lol. I saw someone bitching about big tiddie Nezuko on twitter claiming he is a teacher and having to explain to his kids in class why she got tits and shit and the thread had everyone realize the guy is teaching like first graders.

Last edited:

I don't mean the boobs, I mean the TRT bodybuilder Nezuko that curls 420 kg

I really think if the Netflix "Cowboy Bebop" had been named anything else and the creators were like "we're taking a ton of inspiration from the anime Cowboy Bebop but this is our own thing with our own characters" it'd have done way better. The fact they tried to shot for shot re-create some scenes and botched as well as TOTALLY botched the characters of Viscious, Julia, and Grim shows the runners didn't know what the fuck they were doing.

Also, I need to stop watching so many damn "slice of life" shows....
Bunny Senpai
Kaguya Sama
Nagatoro

This new Hina doll maker making cosplay costumes for the local school thot show....

All I'm going to say about big tiddy Nezuko:

This is a world where people are being CUT IN HALF and being eaten by demons and the biggest issue people have where they pearl clutch "think of the chirren" is a teenage female character having a major glow up and growing tits... them people need to look into the mirror to realize they're focusing on the WRONG thing and this show:

May be a shounen but it's NOT for kids. It'd be like someone seeing Ein in Bebop then seeing the goofier parts of Black Lagoon and noting the similarties in animation and thinking it's for kids then freaking out when this scene happens:

Case in point, Attack on Titan is still considered a shounen series and it gets fucking graphic in 10 minutes. Konosuba is very cutesy designed and animated but the story features/jokes are very obviously intended for at minimum perverted teenagers and adults with gutter senses of humor (like me).

Hell, you could go down the list and a lot of the shounen probably shouldn't be viewed by kids under like 12 anyways. Even the more common ones like Bleach or Naruto.

Think about it. Naruto all the characters are well under 16 and are child soldiers fighting a fucking terrorist in one of the first arcs (Zabuza). Bleach has characters like Kenpachi who's whole existence is as much wanton violence as can be created because he enjoys it. Dragonball Z is tame compared to most modern shows but even that has characters like Broly who are literally walking nuclear bombs.

Shounen Jump also had series like Hellsing in it that are clearly not for children. Basically, people need to realize the demos these shows are for and cartoons aren't just for the kids.

From what I can tell the majority of anime is not for children. It all depends on the creator, and obviously there are exceptions, but most seems PG-13 +. Am I wrong here?

PS - Imo western cartoons tend to be for a younger audience, but I do think that Adult Swim has shown that they also can be for everyone; and plus it's probably helped expose people to anime :)

What do people mean kids, isn't most Shonen anime explicitly meant for an audience of like ages 11-18

Its hilarious that people cried more about Nezuko growing a pair of tits than they did about 6 year olds working in brothels (not as prostitutes) as was shown for like 3 episodes before the Nezuko titty transformation.

Back