THE ACCOUNTANT Starring Ben Affleck (Gets a Sequel)

If you have seen THE ACCOUNTANT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
It was okay. 5/10

There are a lot of plotholes, and things seem to just happen without any logical reason.

So, Affleck's character is autistic, with legitimate ticks and quirks as a child. Off to a good start. Then, when he grows up, he just about loses every bit of his autism, except for his genius mathematician skills and ALITTLE social awkwardness. It's like a completely different person. After some sappy flashbacks of the mom leaving, the dad trains his kids in Filipino martial arts because, why not? Affleck's character grows up to be a super badass genius, who gets jobs from "a voice", doing the numbers and accounting for terrorists, dictators, mass murderers, etc. while using aliases named after dead mathematician legends. He collects fine art, is a master sharpshooter, has perfect memory, is great at hand to hand combat, etc. He will sometimes leak information to the US government because of his "moral code", which he will forget when dealing with all of the other horrible people in his line of work. The director of the Treasury department blackmails someone who lied to the government about their background (because that's really easy apparently), just because he wants someone to deal with the voice after he retires, so why not someone with a rap sheet including attempted murder?

Affleck gets screwed over by the CEO of a robotics org, and decides to kill him because he all of a sudden falls inlove with Anna Kendrick, because feelings? But wait, the CEO hires a private security firm to watch his back. At the climax, we find out that the main guy from the private security firm is actually Affleck's brother! What are the odds, and who didn't see that coming, eh? Oh yeah, and the voice is actually an autistic girl using a super computer.

One of my main issues with this, besides all of the random plot holes and bad storytelling, is that they present Affleck's character as a total good guy. They show him in a wonderful light, the protagonist that just seems to be the victim of "the system", even though he knowingly chooses to work with criminals and evil people. "Who survives this clientele?" Indeed.

Affleck's acting isn't horrible, it's just that he completely ignores the autistic side of the character and is using cheat codes. He's almost flawless, like Russell Crowe's John Nash, but without any actual illness. JK Simmons does a decent job, as always, but is stuck with bad writing. Anna Kendrick is a bit annoying, and doesn't seem to mind that there are contracted killers after her, because fine art is more important.

Not a horrible movie, but not great either.

Just downloaded it ... my sister recomended me to watch it , and also judging by this poll im sure i wont be disapoint.

The Anna Kendrick sex scene was pretty good, though they should've put in more time during the reverse cowgirl part. 29 seconds wasn't enough.

The first half was really good, filled with intelligent and well-directed small character development things.

The second half was borderline retarded.

Batman with prep time defeated Punisher with prep team.

Not that great of a movie. I'm upset that I chose this flick as my first dvd on my new netflix plan. Everything about the movie was average. He has a high level of functional autism?? Lol. The plot became muddled after a while and Anna Kendrick looks like a fucking alien.

6/10.

I gave it a 7/10.

Was entertaining enough, but you could see where the story was steering you. Not sure what America's obsession with Kendrick is, but I appreciate that they didn't go for an obvious 10/10 sex pot for the damsel.

Lithgow and Addai-Robinson were meh. Bernthal was good, but then I've been a fan of him for a bit. Same with J.K. Simmons.

Honestly, the only surprise the movie gave me was.....
And because I'm painfully oblivious, was at the end when you find out the voice on the phone was Justine, and even then I only caught it on the second viewing.

Update: June 26, 2017

Warner Bros. Developing THE ACCOUNTANT Sequel with Ben Affleck to Star

The-Accountant-Ben-Affleck-Anna-Kendrick-062617-Dragonlord.jpg

Warner Bros. is readying a sequel for The Accountant, with Ben Affleck in talks to return to star.

Writer Bill Dubuque and director Gavin O’Connor are also in talks for the proposed sequel to the 2016 feature, which followed a highly functioning autistic man who worked as an accountant for criminal organizations. When the Treasury Department starts to follow his activities, he uses his background as an assassin to protect himself and others.

The action-drama grossed $86 million at the domestic box office on the relatively modest budget of $44 million. It earned $155 million globally.

Affleck has a long working relationship with Warners, which made his Oscar Best Picture winning feature Argo. The studio also distributed his most recent passion project, the 2016 period crime-drama Live By Night, which did not fare as well at the box office.

Warner Bros. Developing 'The Accountant' Sequel With Ben Affleck in Talks to Return to Star

Warner Bros. is readying a sequel for The Accountant, with Ben Affleck in talks to return to star.

Writer Bill Dubuque and director Gavin O’Connor are also in talks for the proposed sequel to the 2016 feature, which followed a highly functioning autistic man who worked as an accountant for criminal organizations. When the Treasury Department starts to follow his activities, he uses his background as an assassin to protect himself and others.

The action-drama grossed $86 million at the domestic box office on the relatively modest budget of $44 million. It earned $155 million globally.

Affleck has a long working relationship with Warners, which made his Oscar Best Picture winning feature Argo. The studio also distributed his most recent passion project, the 2016 period crime-drama Live By Night, which did not fare as well at the box office.

Warner Bros. Developing 'The Accountant' Sequel With Ben Affleck in Talks to Return to Star
Ugh.

<StannisFrown>

b14aWCdtlB8FG.gif

Back