THE ACCOUNTANT Starring Ben Affleck (Gets a Sequel)

If you have seen THE ACCOUNTANT, how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: May 12, 2016

Ben Affleck is a Genius Assassin in THE ACCOUNTANT Trailer

The-Accountant-Ben-Affleck-051216-Dragonlord.jpg

Warner Bros. has released the first trailer for the action-thriller The Accountant. Warrior helmer Gavin O’Connor directs and Ben Affleck stars in the action-thriller about a mild-mannered accountant who moonlights as a lethal assassin.

That logline is a tad misleading, however, as this trailer reveals that Affleck’s character is on the spectrum. Affleck pushed back his next directorial film Live By Night for a third time so he could take the starring role in The Accountant. Clearly he saw something in the project and/or Bill Dubuque‘s screenplay that made the film worthwhile.

The film also stars Anna Kendrick, J.K. Simmons, Jon Bernthal, Jeffrey Tambor, and John Lithgow. The Accountant opens in theaters on October 14th.

Ben Affleck is a Genius Assassin in the First Trailer for 'The Assassin'

Update: December 31, 2015

First Image from THE ACCOUNTANT Starring Ben Affleck and Anna Kendrick

Anna Kendrick plays a bookish clerk who stumbles upon high-level financial treachery at a robotics company in The Accountant, the latest from Warrior filmmaker Gavin O’Connor.

“I don’t normally play the romantic leading lady,” the Pitch Perfect actress admits of her role as accidental whistle-blower Dana, who, despite matching wits with Ben Affleck’s math savant, is a little more square than her millennial portrayer.

“I based her on my mom,” says the 30-year-old. “She’s an accountant, so I actually had her go through the script with me and explain the math.” The Accountant opens October 7, 2016.

066-the-accountant-ew.jpg

First Image from The Accountant Starring Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick

Update: January 14, 2015

Jeffrey Tambor and John Lithgow Join THE ACCOUNTANT

Jeffrey-Tambor-John-Lithgow-Dragonlord.jpg

Jeffrey Tambor and John Lithgow have closed a deal to join the cast of The Accountant, Warner Bros.' assassin thriller starring Ben Affleck. Gavin O'Connor is directing the project, which is in preproduction and will shoot in Atlanta. Bill Dubuque wrote the script, which was on the 2011 Black List.

Affleck plays a mild-mannered accountant and math genius with Asperger's who moonlights as an assassin. The cast also includes J.K. Simmons, Jon Bernthal (playing a mercenary for hire) and Anna Kendrick (also playing an accounting whiz who gets mixed up with Affleck's character).

Tambor, fresh off his Golden Globe win for his work on Amazon's Transparent, will play a veteran Mafia accountant who is Affleck's mentor. Lithgow has been set to play Lamar Black, a tech magnate in the robotics field who hires Affleck's character to look at his company's accounting given some recent irregularities.

Lithgow, who has won two Tonys and five Emmy Awards over his career, most recently starred in Love Is Strange, The Homesman and Interstellar. Tambor has received wide acclaim for his work as a father who reveals he is transgender to his adult children in Transparent.

Jeffrey Tambor and John Lithgow Join Ben Affleck in Assassin Thriller 'The Accountant'

Update: November 14, 2014

Jon Bernthal in Talks to Join Ben Affleck in THE ACCOUNTANT

Jon-Bernthal-111414-Dragonlord.jpg

After sharing a tank with Brad Pitt in Fury, Jon Bernthal is in negotiations to join Ben Affleck in Gavin O'Connor's thriller The Accountant, multiple individuals familiar with the Warner Bros. project have told TheWrap.

Bernthal's potential role remains under wraps, though Affleck is said to be a fan of the actor, who's also rumored to be under consideration for a role in Affleck's upcoming WB crime drama Live By Night.

Bernthal has been on a roll since exiting his star-making role on The Walking Dead. He played the lead in Frank Darabont's follow-up series Mob City, worked with Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese on The Wolf of Wall Street.

Bernthal recently wrapped WB's Zac Efron movie We Are Your Friends, Denis Villeneuve's cartel drama Sicario, Gerardo Naranjo's Untitled Roadie Movie and Alfonso Gomez-Rejon's indie drama Me & Earl & the Dying Girl.

Jon Bernthal in Talks to Join Ben Affleck in Gavin O'Connor's Thriller THE ACCOUNTANT

Update: November 12, 2014

Anna Kendrick in Talks to Join Ben Affleck in THE ACCOUNTANT

Anna-Kendrick-111214-Dragonlord.jpg

Ben Affleck may have found his first co-star for The Accountant with actress Anna Kendrick in early negotiations to join the assassin thriller, sources confirm to Variety. Gavin O'Connor (Warrior) will direct the Warner Bros. pic, which begins production in January.

Based on an original script by Bill Dubuque, The Accountant centers on a mild-mannered accountant (Affleck) who moonlights as a lethal assassin. It's unknown whom Kendrick would play in the film.

The project has floated in limbo for years, starting at Warner Bros. with Mel Gibson interested, before moving on to Sony, which tried to set it up for Will Smith. It's now returned home and with Affleck aboard, it's heating up again.

Anna Kendrick in Talks to Join Ben Affleck in Action Thriller The Accountant (Exclusive)

Update: November 12, 2014

J.K. Simmons in Talks to Join Ben Stiller in THE ACCOUNTANT

JK-Simmons-111214-Dragonlord.jpg

On the heels of generating flurries of critical praise for his work as a demanding, terrifying music teacher in Whiplash, J.K. Simmons is in negotiations for a role in The Accountant. Ben Affleck is starring in the film, which will be directed by Warrior helmer Gavin O'Connor. Bill Dubuque wrote the 2011 Black List script, which centers on an accountant who moonlights as an assassin.

Simmons most recently starred in the Sundance winner Whiplash opposite Miles Teller. The film, now in theaters, has been well received critically and is garnering awards buzz. His other recent work includes Men, Women & Children and Labor Day. He's wrapped work on the upcoming Terminator: Genisys, starring Jason Clarke and Emilia Clarke.

J.K. Simmons Joins Ben Stiller in Gavin O'Connor's Action Thriller The Accountant

Last edited:
Update: October 1, 2014

Ben Affleck to Star in the Assassin Thriller THE ACCOUNTANT

Ben-Affleck-Image-050614-Dragonlord.jpg

The thriller The Accountant has been bouncing around in development for some time, but it looks like it's finally moving forward, courting a big star for the lead role. Ben Affleck is in negotiations to star in the film, sources tell THR. Warrior helmer Gavin O'Connor has also been in talks to direct the film. Bill Dubuque wrote the 2011 Black List script, which centers on an accountant who moonlights as an assassin.

After a brief period at Sony, the project was put back in turnaround, where Warner Bros. picked it up. The film has had several directors circling it over the years, including Mel Gibson and the Coen brothers. Will Smith was at one time eyeing the project as the lead.

O'Connor helmed 2011's critically acclaimed sports drama Warrior, and directed Jane Got a Gun, which is slated for release on Feb. 20, 2015, via Relativity. His earlier work includes thriller Pride and Glory and hockey drama Miracle. Affleck stars in David Fincher's dark adaptation Gone Girl, hitting theaters on Friday. He will also play Batman in Warner Bros. superhero ensemble film Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Ben Affleck in Talks to Star in Director Gavin O'Connor Action Thriller THE ACCOUNTANT

That Anna Kendrick, there is just something really sexy about her.

Trailer was fantastic.

Had a feeling this movie was going to be good. That's why I already created this thread years ago in anticipation.

Last edited:
Looks like an emo version of Mr. & Mrs. Smith, but without the 'Mrs'.

That's not to say I'm entirely uninterested.

I do prefer Batfleck when he's playing more aloof regular douches though, like in Gone Girl, and Good Will Hunting. He's great in those. It's always kinda hard for me to buy him as a genius, or as the super-cool badass role he likes to try and play sometimes.

I'll still probably check this out though, it looks well-directed.

Just saw the trailer on line. Looks good. Dude is supposed to be autistic, right?

Ben Afflecks career is really pulling an Overeem lately

Can't stand this guy, but he has been in some pretty damn good movies lately.

Back