Ten Oils and How To Use Them

Sweet zombie jesus. This is a great summary, but it needs to be generalized. There are *way* too many fats / oils out there. Just look at all the "what about X" questions.

Personally, I think the format of the generalization should be something like this:

1) Oil composition and morphology (examples)
2) Chemical properties of oils (how they respond to heating over time, cooling over time, etc.; examples)
3) Biological need for and response to oils (comes last, so (1) and (2) can be referenced as needed)
4) Specific oils (flavour; suggested cooking instructions; when to use)

Sherdog research team, ASSEMBLE!

We keep coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and lard on hand at my house. None of that veggie crap.

I have to say, fried eggs in coconut oil are great!

If you buy lard, try to get it from a farmer you trust. I am warry of anything I find covered in dust in the grocery store.

I'm still trying to find uses for lard, right now I only use it for biscuits, and occasional frying. I am curious as to weather I can stomache a lard sandwhich as posted earlier. I don't think I burn enough calories to justify it.
I don't car efor eggs in cocunut oil, however turkey bacon cooked in coconut oil is awesome.

this thread confuses me. so the good guys with large amounts of saturated fats are the best for cooking? i know oils like olive oil aren't good for high heat cooking but what's the reasoning behind using high saturated fat oils for high heat cooking?

Where are you guys finding coconut oil? Neither of the local chain supermarkets near me carry it.

Where are you guys finding coconut oil? Neither of the local chain supermarkets near me carry it.

Wal-mart carries it... but I do not thinks its of the best quality. My wife has started ordering it online instead. I believe she gets "Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil". She is very picky about the production source of food products. I'll try to remember to get her preferred vendor tonight too.

this thread confuses me. so the good guys with large amounts of saturated fats are the best for cooking? i know oils like olive oil aren't good for high heat cooking but what's the reasoning behind using high saturated fat oils for high heat cooking?

Saturated fats have a higher smoke point, therefore are more resistant to oxidation, and therefore, better for use with high-heat cooking.

It's the same premise as to why you keep your fish oil in the fridge---fish oil is mostly composed of omega-3 fatty acids, which are polyunsaturated (PUFA), and highly prone to oxidation, which is mucho bad.

Saturated fats have a higher smoke point, therefore are more resistant to oxidation, and therefore, better for use with high-heat cooking.

It's the same premise as to why you keep your fish oil in the fridge---fish oil is mostly composed of omega-3 fatty acids, which are polyunsaturated (PUFA), and highly resistant to oxidation, which is mucho bad.

Did you mean "highly prone" to oxidation?

What do you think about a Sherdogger's Guide to Fats?

(meaning, do you intend to write one because I don't know enough and I like your writing?)

Did you mean "highly prone" to oxidation?

What do you think about a Sherdogger's Guide to Fats?

(meaning, do you intend to write one because I don't know enough and I like your writing?)

Good catch. yes, I meant "highly resistant"

As far as a guide to fats, I haven't planned one, and it's one massive topic that still has a lot of differing opinions. Between Scott Kustes' article and various T-nation articles, I think there's enough info out there right now. What I might do (or someone else could, by all means) is start a thread compiling the kick-ass articles floating around the ethernet on fat.

Good catch. yes, I meant "highly resistant"

As far as a guide to fats, I haven't planned one, and it's one massive topic that still has a lot of differing opinions. Between Scott Kustes' article and various T-nation articles, I think there's enough info out there right now. What I might do (or someone else could, by all means) is start a thread compiling the kick-ass articles floating around the ethernet on fat.

hmm...I might start picking away at an annotated bibliography of internet articles on fat. If someone has access to published articles from the references that they like that would be beneficial. But I guess it might be better to do a general reference first, then specifics after, like fatty's creatine thread in the stickies.

Is the entire scope of this article to promote the usage of products with a higher saturated fat base because of the increased level of oxidation resistance?

Forgive my ignorance and indulge me for a moment--I don't see the reasoning behind consuming excess amounts of saturated fats.

Personally, out of my 30% daily fat intake, I tend to consume anywhere from 5-8% saturated fats; followed by: 10-15% monounsaturated fat and 7-10% polyunsaturated fat.

Forgive my ignorance and indulge me for a moment--I don't see the reasoning behind consuming excess amounts of saturated fats.

Personally, out of my 30% daily fat intake, I tend to consume anywhere from 5-8% saturated fats; followed by: 10-15% monounsaturated fat and 7-10% polyunsaturated fat.

While there's many experts out there, I'm not one of them. But this guy is, and he's great at analyzing data and giving solid reason:

Whole Health Source: Saturated Fat and Health: a Brief Literature Review, Part I

Whole Health Source: Saturated Fat and Health: a Brief Literature Review, Part II

In a nutshell, sat and mono are your best bets, while vegetable based PUFAs should be avoided. Scott Kustes just recently wrote another article on fats, found here.

While there's many experts out there, I'm not one of them. But this guy is, and he's great at analyzing data and giving solid reason:

Whole Health Source: Saturated Fat and Health: a Brief Literature Review, Part I

Whole Health Source: Saturated Fat and Health: a Brief Literature Review, Part II

In a nutshell, sat and mono are your best bets, while vegetable based PUFAs should be avoided. Scott Kustes just recently wrote another article on fats, found here.

Thanks for those links!
I had 2 T-bone steaks last night for dinner and a bit of sirloin. Samething for lunch today, :icon_chee

Back