Ten Oils and How To Use Them

Rendered lard from the fat on a country ham I cooked... beautiful, salty, smokey, delicious lard... Got over half a pint.

The fact that they have a higher spoke point, and are resistant to oxidation, and make them great for cooking doesn't counter the fact that these saturated fats will clog the shit out of your arteries and force the lard sandwich eaters to rush to the ER for a coronary bypass, right?

Wrong. The myth that SFAs contribute to CAD is false dogma that has been perpetuated for decades.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/32940470-post12.html

Oh and just to give you guys a heads-up, be careful where you get your coconut oil from. It's used in South Asia as a hair tonic and the stuff you find in many of the stores contain perfumes and chemicals in it and is NOT INTENDED FOR INGESTION.

Oh and just to give you guys a heads-up, be careful where you get your coconut oil from. It's used in South Asia as a hair tonic and the stuff you find in many of the stores contain perfumes and chemicals in it and is NOT INTENDED FOR INGESTION.

That's why you always buy this or this. Never ever get cheap when buying fats and oils.

The fact that they have a higher spoke point, and are resistant to oxidation, and make them great for cooking doesn't counter the fact that these saturated fats will clog the shit out of your arteries and force the lard sandwich eaters to rush to the ER for a coronary bypass, right?

For people who exercise regularly, eat a low-inflammatory diet with lots of plants and few grains, this is simply not true. For fat people who don't exercise, who eat sugar and refined grains regularly, and tend to generally life a shitty lifestyle, this may be quite true. But it's lifestyle factors more so than a direct, linear, always-true, relationship that matters most.

Thanks Mike and Oyaji for your answers. I have another question, all stores sell fish oil on their shelves and god knows how long they've been lying around in the supply room. So when fish oil oxidizes, does it actually cause any harm or does it simply diminish/eliminate the health benefits?

Thanks Mike and Oyaji for your answers. I have another question, all stores sell fish oil on their shelves and god knows how long they've been lying around in the supply room. So when fish oil oxidizes, does it actually cause any harm or does it simply diminish/eliminate the health benefits?

Lipid peroxides, aka rancid or oxidized oils, are extremely harmful. This is addressed in the fish oil guide: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/sherdoggers-guide-fish-oil-supplementation-719643/

Rancidity: - While the benefits of fish oil can't be refuted, on the flip side is spoiled, or rancid fish oil. Being a highly unsaturated fat, fish oil is extremely vulnerable to oxidation; this is the reason the fish in your fridge is only good for a few days, max. Free radicals LOVE unsaturated fatty acids, just like your 18 year old cousin LOVES going across the border to Tijuana to get hammered. It's not a good thing, and it's kinda scary.

When fish oil become rancid, it becomes a lipid peroxide; this turns a potentially helpful supplement into a harmful one. That last thing we need to do as athletes is add to our free radical load, especially with peroxides. So how does one avoid this? A number of ways:
  • Make sure the fish oil capsules you buy are of quality, and properly foil-sealed when you first open it.
  • Make sure the liquid fish oil you buy is in an opaque GLASS bottle and properly sealed when you first open it.
  • Put your fish oil in the fridge; with capsules, another option is to place them in the freezer. This will prolong the shelf life, as well as prevent oxidation.
  • Bite into your fish oil capsules. Yes, I mean it. This is tell you exactly how fresh your capsules are, and if they are rancid, you will know it right away. Fresh fish oil will be clear, particulate-free, and tastes mildly fishy, as one would expect. Rancid fish oil tastes like licking the bottom of a garbage dumpster in central New York. Biting into capsules is recommended by the highly respected Dr Michael Eades, author of Protein Power, and our very own and highly respected poster Sonny.

is there any info on freezing them and it's impact on the fish oil itself?

I only see junk on freezing helping to avoid burps...

Since you're talking fish oil a few posts back..

Liquid vs Caps (assuming they're both the same quality)

- Liquid is usually cheaper.
- For those of us taking 10g+/day, we're eating a lot of gelatin capsules on top of other capped supps. Is that harmful?

- Caps are pre-measured
- No mess, less smell (freezable too).
- Enteric coated to be absorbed in the small intestine for better digestion.

Thoughts? I've done both, but I'm almost out and about to reorder.

Great thread, I myself will stick to cooking with used motoroil.

So coconut oil superior to all?
out of the three what is best to cook with, olive oil, veg oil or butter? (just thinking what is in my fridge right now)

Any thoughts on truffle oil? I seen it at my local store and always wondered if its worth the price.

lastly on the Flax seed oil, I ordered a custom blend on trueprotien.com. And I added flax seed oil and MCT. Should I leave these out next time?

lmao dude you can't just post pictures of naked girls here... hahaha i'm literally laughing out loud right now.

out of the three what is best to cook with, olive oil, veg oil or butter? (just thinking what is in my fridge right now)

Did you even read the thread? Your question is answered in the first post in this thread.

Hell, one of the oils you mentioned even has in big bold red letters "THE BAD GUYS", followed by a list of oils that shouldn't be used and your oil listed.

lmao dude you can't just post pictures of naked girls here... hahaha i'm literally laughing out loud right now.

Did you even read the thread? Your question is answered in the first post in this thread.

Hell, one of the oils you mentioned even has in big bold red letters "THE BAD GUYS", followed by a list of oils that shouldn't be used and your oil listed.

yes just wondering which out of what l currenty have should i cook with until i get something better

yes just wondering which out of what l currenty have should i cook with until i get something better

Yes, that is what I mean. Read the summary for each of those oils in the first post. Maybe I'm coming off as kinda harsh but I think the answer is pretty clear. Olive oil has low saturated fat content and breaks down when heated. Butter has high saturated fat content and doesn't break down as much when heated.

Rendered lard from the fat on a country ham I cooked... beautiful, salty, smokey, delicious lard... Got over half a pint.

You lucky sonofabitch. I've been meaning to get my hands on some real natural lard lately (that sounded obscene). For the past year I've been mostly cooking with bacon grease which is freaking AWESOME but I want to try something different. Bacon has the cured salty taste which I love but variety is the spice of life. Also would love to try tallow. I remember McDonald's fries were pure heaven when they were cooked in tallow. They should at least give us the option, damnit! *goes looking for a vegetarian to beat up*

Back