Movies Ten Films To Know Me

I'm shocked you didn't mention this movie. :p

giphy.gif
:D If only we had been allowed more choices!! <3

This is an interesting thread.
I don’t if by watching these ten films you could know me per say but we would definitely have a shit load to talk, quote and joke about.
10. 187, the acid rap/electronic soundtrack and camera work talks to me. If you refilled teletubbies this way I would be a die hard fan. Also the premise of the system failing people and how our choices corrupt us etc.. is all shit I am very interested in. Even though it’s a southern Cali movie it always reminds me of the $ir Dyno story.

9. Blood in blood out/ bound by honor. Me and my friends watched this flick from when we were just tots. We watched my friends tap until it broke.

8 Heat. One of my favorite movies would prolly be in my top top 5 favorites. But I love stories with vulnerable bad guys who show up the people in power and then die ironic or poetic deaths. The story is very Chicano in that way.

7.fist of legend. One of the dopest jet Li jams around. Me and my friends watched this movie so many times it was crazy. It was le of the reasons I quit some cults Kung if mcdojo when I was a pipsqueek and joined a boxing gym.

6. Street fighter 2 the animated movie. I love 2d fighters and this was my jam back in the day. If you want to know me you have to make a concerted step into the contrived plots and expanded SNK and Capcom universes.

5. How high. Dumb stoner comedy poorly acted. This movie is me all over 90’s humor 90’s rap and a chuck liddell cameo. I would t put it in my top 10 movies.. but if you can dig this flick we got something in common.

4. Shoguns assassin. I love Japanese cinema and have dabbled in weebish behaviors. This flick is a great samurai flick that is tons of fun that will appeal to all nerds.

3. A better tomorrow. Gangster flicks are my jam. Heroic gangster flicks set in Asia even better. Cdonflicted gangsters living remorseful lives lives fuck yea. Also add in chow yuan fat.

2. City on fire. The perfect blend of romantic gangster HK cinema with modern ultra violence. It’s the perfect film for a wannabe film snob who is best described as the class clown.

1. Hard boiled. High action Chinese film with gangster sub plots and cop drama. It is is the perfect representation of what I like in a movie. Hell I need my son 润发 after the chow yun fats performance in this movie.

Excellent addition to this thread. I really appreciate your taste in Asian cinema.
Love CITY ON FIRE. Ringo Lam made a classic that is superior to Tarantino's homage/rip off RESERVOIR DOGS.

1. Martyrs (French original); best thriller/ horror I've ever seen
  2. On Golden Pond; I'm not cryer, I swear! ;)
  3. The Man from Earth; just an awesome tale
  4. Murder by Death; saw this one as a wee lad, and the scene with the rock/ boulder falling near the entrance of the house, early on in the film, always stuck with me
  5. The Goonies; another one from my childhood
  6. My Own Private Idaho/ Mosquito Coast/ A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon; River Phoenix, need I say more?
  7. Beautiful Thing; the film that made me come out
  8. House of a 1,000 Corpses; Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon, Sid Haig!!!
  9. 300; blood, gore, some sci-fi, oh yeah!
  10. Schatjes/ Mama Is Boos (Dutch movies); simply hilarious, with some drama thrown in, best of Dutch cinema in the '80s

I love that MARTYRS is at the top of your list. It's one of my favorites as well.

7) BLACK CHRISTMAS - Bob Clark's 1974 chiller is at the top of my genre fav films list.
Ahh, a man of culture. That is one of my favorite horror films ever. My favorite being John Carpenter's "The Thing."

Ahh, a man of culture. That is one of my favorite horror films ever. My favorite being John Carpenter's "The Thing."

Yes sir, I'm a big fan of all of Clark's genre work. I also really like CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS & I absolutely love DEAD OF NIGHT ( aka DEATHDREAM ).

My list of favorite old movies:
. Jane Eyre, 1943.
. Twelve O'Clock High, 1949.
. The Day the Earth Stood Still, 1951.
. Seven Samurai, 1954.
. Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison, 1957.
v1.bTsxMTIxMTc5NjtqOzE4Mzk5OzEyMDA7MTkyMDsyNTYw

Last edited:
1. Jurassic park
2.lotr trilogy
3. Ghostbusters1&2
4. Demon Knight
5.castaway
6. Windrunner
7. Cinderella man
8. Ferris bueller's day off
9. Fright night
10. Orange county

I dont have the time right now to get into how these movies say about my personality or how I relate to the characters right now.ill do a follow up
Post later.
1. I related to Dr. Grant and Tim the most in jurassic park because I was fascinated by dinosaurs afrom a young age. Jp really brought dinosaurs to life fand further motivated me to become a paleontologist.
2. I can't say lotr influenced me or i can see myself in the characters but I've always loved fiction. I remember reading the hobbit and going to see a play version of it at a local performing arts theater. When I was in the second grade. I also liked the movie willow and learned it was inspired by the lotr books. Once I watched lotr , I fell in love with the trilogy .
3. Again, I dont really relate to any of the characters in Ghostbusters 1& 2 but they are the first movies i have a memory of watching. They also spurred my interest
In the supernatural/ paranormal and shaped my taste in movies going forward.
4. Demon knight
My uncle took me to see this along with his friend. I saw myself in the protagonist Frank Breaker , whom seemed to be a reluctant hero thrust into a battle between good and evil. I love tales from the crypt and have thought about doing a fan fic prequel to demon knight revolving around breaker in ww 1
5. Again. I dont't really relate to or see myself in any of the characters but I can identify with the main protagonist overcoming adversity and rediscovering meaning in his life.also castaway has a excellent score.
6.windrunner is a good coming of age dj ile. I felt I related most to the protagonist who is in high school and is on the football team .his dad played for the forty niners and was incarcerated later on in life, I cant remember the reason why . At the start of the movie the main character and his mom live in Las Vegas where his dad is incarcerated but move to Utah when his dad is transferred to a prison in Utah. He meets a old Indian sage who turns out to be the ghost of jim thrope . Thrope agrees to train the protagonist in football if he helps him accomplish a spiritual quest so he can pass into the afterlife. I felt I could relate to the protagonist because of his relationship with his parents.
7.i related to james braddock ,whom aside from being a boxer, is a everyman struggling to support his family.i also like Cinderella man since it is somewhat of a redemption story, since braddock failed to win the title initially, went thru a long period of personal struggle but ,preserved in the end.
8. I enjoyed fbdo because I've always revered '80s pop culture and the winning '80s charm and optimism shine thru constantly thruout the movie. I related to Cameron the most because I was shy and uptight when I was a teen.
9. I had a hard time choosing between fright night and silver bullet but feel fright night was a better movie overall. I dont feel as though this movie influenced me or that I can relate to the characters, I'm just a fan of the horror genre and love a good vampire movie. I' m referring to the original , not the remake.
10. Orange county is another coming of age teen movie starring jack black and Colin Hanks. HANK plays a academically gifted student who wants to attend Stanford but is rejected due to a mistake in his application process. I felt I could relate to the protagonist, not because I was academically gifted but because of his dysfunctional relationship with many of his family members

5. How high. Dumb stoner comedy poorly acted. This movie is me all over 90’s humor 90’s rap and a chuck liddell cameo. I would t put it in my top 10 movies.. but if you can dig this flick we got something in common.
HOW HIGH must I have been as many times as I've seen this and not remembered that Chuck Liddell was in HOW HIGH?

(Real high.)

I guess (today) I would suggest...

The Terminator
Rocky
The Fly (1986)
First Blood
Scarface
Purple Rain
Aliens
The Godfather
Major League
Wall Street

Star Wars: A New Hope
The entire OT would make the cut, but I'll put ANH here. It is so self-contained, well-paced, and the performances and characters are all perfect. Whenever I finish it a calm happiness settles over me that lasts as long as it takes me to remember TLJ.

Predator
A pinnacle of 80's action and making the most of an uncomplicated premise. It jerks you around a bit and suddenly you're in a completely different movie, something feral and tense. I think it is Arnie's best, and other movies have been chasing it's quality for decades.

Forrest Gump
I've wept like a baby probably less than a dozen times in my life, and probably half of those are during this movie. Seeing someone with so much less mental ability than me navigate so many hardships through the goodness of his heart and character always tears me up. The friendship with Lt. Dan is one of my favorite relationships in cinema.

The Shawshank Redemption
This is a movie that I always forget the extent of its quality until I watch it again. It is from a time when themes could be explored with blasting them into your face, and all the actors kill the material. Your heart can't help but leap a little at each small glimpse of joy.

Good Will Hunting
A movie that caught me a little off guard, carried by Robin Williams' best performance and great writing. As a somewhat gifted youngster who never really got any guidance and acted out a lot, the idea of a much more intelligent character finally having to ask himself "What now?" really resonated with me. The "It's not your fault" scene blasted me to core the first time and every time since.

Walk Hard: The Legend of Dewey Cox
Musical comedy is probably my favorite kind, and this movie could have slipped under my radar if they didn't show it in my college break room. It has bad jokes, a ton of cameos, and could be largely nonsense if not for the great performance by Reilly and the great music. A weird movie that tickles just the right part of my brain.

Anchorman
Probably the most quotable movie of all time. It was just so much more funny than anything I had seen at the time, and maybe since. Taking the premise of the early news scene and making the sexism and self-importance so riotously funny is a great achievement, and the movie still holds up so well.

Waiting
If you worked in a restaurant in the mid-2000s, this movie was a gift from god. Taking many real situations to logical extremes, but keeping everything so low key and believable. Seeing Reynolds, Farris, and Long so young is part of the charm, just one of these happy little accidents that makes me so happy it happened.

Pulp Fiction
It might seem cliche, but I still love this movie. On a given day half of this list could be Tarantino, but I'll keep it to this one, because I think he has made better movies since (Kill Bill 1/2 and Inglorious Basterds constantly vie for my heart) but I think this is his most interesting entry, especially so early in his career. The way the story is told has been attempted by so many movies since and most just feel like pale imitations. I always fast forward through the Mia part because I hate seeing overdoses and big ass needles.

Jurassic Park
Fuck I loved this movie. I had dinosaurs on the brain badly and it was such a rush. The special effects still hold up and they managed to make an incredible, very philosophical book into an exciting, tense cinematic experience. I've probably worn out 2 or 3 VHSs and copies of the novel in my life, they are both so good on their own terms.

All of these are in no particular order of course.

Except Star Wars.

Last edited:
A friend of mine tagged me on Facebook to play this game & it proved to be pretty fun/interesting so I thought I'd import my list over here to Sherdog & see what others have to say about it as well as see what films they choose to represent themselves.
So, my list is as follows:
1) BLACK SUNDAY - Mario Bava's 1960 chiller is the first film that I can ever remember watching when I was five years old. It sparked the flame for my lifelong love of genre fare.
2) KING CREOLE - I grew up on a steady diet of monster movies, horror films & Elvis musicals. With this 1958 opus being my favorite of the latter bunch. Other favs included JAILHOUSE ROCK, FLAMING STAR & KID GALAHAD but KING CREOLE was the best IMO.
3) ENTER THE DRAGON - I've written extensively about my experience with this film before so I'll try to condense it as much as possible. After seeing it at the drive-in as a wee lad in 1974 it inspired me into a lifelong study of the martial arts & my participation in combat sports. It led to black belts in kickboxing & Kajukenbo Kempo as well as a professional boxing career. Plus a single pro kickboxing bout.
4) FAT CITY - This is my all-time favorite boxing film. It's an all too often overlooked classic from 1972.
5) ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 - This 1976 action-suspense film is representative of one of my favorite filmmakers John Carpenter. I could just as easily chosen HALLOWEEN, THE THING or PRINCE OF DARKNESS.
6) AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON - This 1981 film is right up there among my top two or three genre films.
7) BLACK CHRISTMAS - Bob Clark's 1974 chiller is at the top of my genre fav films list.
8) REQUIEM FOR A DREAM - this 2000 Jared Leto film is a masterpiece IMHO & a film that I can watch over & over again & never tire of.
9) I SAW THE DEVIL - 2010's best movie IMO & one of the best of that decade.
10) MANDY/ BRAWL IN CELL BLOCK 99/ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD - Yeah, I cheated by declaring that I couldn't choose between these three favorites for the final spot.

So, now you can comment on my list and/or create your own.

You're good people, but Prince of Darkness bored me to tears.

Forrest Gump
I've wept like a baby probably less than a dozen times in my life, and probably half of those are during this movie. Seeing someone with so much less mental ability than me navigate so many hardships through the goodness of his heart and character always tears me up. The friendship with Lt. Dan is one of my favorite relationships in cinema.
It is my all time favorite movie...

You're good people, but Prince of Darkness bored me to tears.

Thanks, bro, you're cool too. And no worries about not liking PRINCE OF DARKNESS. It can be a polarizing film. A lot of people, like me, absolutely love it but others, like you, not so much.

Cider House Rules
Tombstone
Conan the Barbarian (1982)
The Goonies
Singin' in the Rain
Chasing Amy
Ocean's Eleven (2001)
High Plains Drifter
Coming to America
Big Trouble in Little China

Forum statistics

Threads