Movies Ten Films To Know Me

It is my all time favorite movie...

It's a contender for me as well, I know it beat for beat and it still catches me off guard with the feels every time. It could easily have felt like too many movies wrapped into one but it ends up almost perfect.

1/10. AS GOOD AS IT GETS might be my favorite movie; it competes with BEING JOHN MALKOVICH and a few others in this constant jockeying for position in my brain. Something new I noticed, right after Carol the Waitress says, "If you ever mention my son again, you will never be able to eat here again. Do you understand?"

Melvin Udall looks down at his hands, which have been arranging the plasticware in front of him, and they freeze -- and this foreshadows the part when he later reveals that his father used to beat his hands whenever he made a mistake practicing the piano. This isn't the first time Melvin regresses to a prior state -- he blurts out "NO TOUCH!" when confronted by Frank, Simon's agent -- but it's much more subtle. It's movies like this that remind me that people with mental illness, or even just peculiar/obnoxious traits, aren't necessarily trying to be wicked, nor even difficult -- that everyone has a reason for being "how they are" and how people are is really just a brief snapshot we've taken. I really love the grace they are able to find within themselves, to push through their differences.

My buddy is a huge connoisseur of cinema and has this sprawling collection, but the one genre largely absent from his collection is comedy. "There's little repeat value in comedies," he says, "No need to own a film I'm never going to watch again." I think he's got a point, but at the same time I feel AS GOOD AS IT GETS' humor never gets stale.

1/10. AS GOOD AS IT GETS might be my favorite movie; it competes with BEING JOHN MALKOVICH and a few others in this constant jockeying for position in my brain. Something new I noticed, right after Carol the Waitress says, "If you ever mention my son again, you will never be able to eat here again. Do you understand?"

Melvin Udall looks down at his hands, which have been arranging the plasticware in front of him, and they freeze -- and this foreshadows the part when he later reveals that his father used to beat his hands whenever he made a mistake practicing the piano. This isn't the first time Melvin regresses to a prior state -- he blurts out "NO TOUCH!" when confronted by Frank, Simon's agent -- but it's much more subtle. It's movies like this that remind me that people with mental illness, or even just peculiar/obnoxious traits, aren't necessarily trying to be wicked, nor even difficult -- that everyone has a reason for being "how they are" and how people are is really just a brief snapshot we've taken. I really love the grace they are able to find within themselves, to push through their differences.

My buddy is a huge connoisseur of cinema and has this sprawling collection, but the one genre largely absent from his collection is comedy. "There's little repeat value in comedies," he says, "No need to own a film I'm never going to watch again." I think he's got a point, but at the same time I feel AS GOOD AS IT GETS' humor never gets stale.

What a weird take on comedies he has. That's like saying "why bother watching this thriller again, I know the killer gets shot right before he stabs her." There's so much nuance to comedy that I could never get behind his stance.

What a weird take on comedies he has. That's like saying "why bother watching this thriller again, I know the killer gets shot right before he stabs her." There's so much nuance to comedy that I could never get behind his stance.
I know. He's really not into comedies, but my experience hasn't been entirely dissimilar to his. I am loathe to revisit some of the comedies I loved as a kid, due mostly to HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 1. I remember rolling across the floor reciting lines to my friends at school, and when I took another gander as an adult I was almost slapped in the face by how not funny I found it all.

Funny story: he's the buddy that "forced" me into Korean cinema. I remember ferrying him around one day for his birthday -- a New York transplant, he never bothered getting a car -- and I ended up watching OLD BOY three fucking times in one day. Get this: he didn't like it at the beginning of that day but was, I assume, beaten into liking it by our third -- his FIFTH -- try. Jesus I hate that movie.

Last edited:
Good topic.
Alfie 1966
Rocky 1976
Requiem for a Heavyweight 1962
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot 1974
Goodfellas 1990
Raging Bull 1980
Donnie Brasco 1997
There Will Be Blood 2007
The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976
1984 1984

Saving private ryan
Schindler's list
Rocky I-V
Dark Knight Trilogy
Batman Returns
The Wailing
The Shining
Terminator II
Mandy
Inception

Good topic.
Alfie 1966
Rocky 1976
Requiem for a Heavyweight 1962
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot 1974
Goodfellas 1990
Raging Bull 1980
Donnie Brasco 1997
There Will Be Blood 2007
The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976
1984 1984

Hey, thanks. I like the fact that you chose three boxing films.

Saving private ryan
Schindler's list
Rocky I-V
Dark Knight Trilogy
Batman Returns
The Wailing
The Shining
Terminator II
Mandy
Inception

I love your choices of THE SHINING, THE WAILING & MANDY. I'm a huge fan of all three. In fact, since first seeing THE WAILING last year I've watched it three or four times & I've seen MANDY about a half dozen times in the same amount of time. My wife says I've been a little bit obsessive about both films. LOL.

star trek VI
a funny thing happened on the way to the forum
the burbs
same time next year
moonstruck
for your eyes only
north dallas forty
weird science
alice

Last edited:
. 2001: A Space Odyssey, 1968.
61FnKMr0k7L._AC_SY741_.jpg