3. Marley & Me, 2008.
4. Lone Survivor, 2013.
5. Heaven can Wait, 1978.
6. 300, 2006.
7. Scent of a Woman, 1992.
8. Excalibur, 1981.
9. Brotherhood of the Wolf, 2001.
10. Patton, 1970.

It's good to see that you included BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF on your list. I really wanted to include it on mine but I couldn't squeeze it in. It really is a classic though. In fact, I just purchased the unrated director's cut on an import Blu-ray from Amazon last week.
20200204_130838.jpg

7) BLACK CHRISTMAS - Bob Clark's 1974 chiller is at the top of my genre fav films list.

This was filmed at a frat house at the University that I did my ugrad at. Years before I attended the university, but the area still looks the same with large Victorian houses.

"To know me", I read this as movies that have characters that mimic me in IRL.

I was like the main character in Vision Quest with the term 'nerd athlete' being very accurate.

My friends would say I was/am like the main character in Breaking Away but I don't see it as I was actually born in Europe.

This was filmed at a frat house at the University that I did my ugrad at. Years before I attended the university, but the area still looks the same with large Victorian houses.

Very cool. That house is my #1 iconic favorite film location. I'd love to visit it someday.

The Warriors
The Goonies
Goodfellas
Donnie Brasco
25th Hour
Beerfest
Cable Guy
Coffee Town
Four Rooms

too lazy to think of the last one, but there are so many.

A friend of mine tagged me on Facebook to play this game & it proved to be pretty fun/interesting so I thought I'd import my list over here to Sherdog & see what others have to say about it as well as see what films they choose to represent themselves.
So, my list is as follows:
1) BLACK SUNDAY - Mario Bava's 1960 chiller is the first film that I can ever remember watching when I was five years old. It sparked the flame for my lifelong love of genre fare.
2) KING CREOLE - I grew up on a steady diet of monster movies, horror films & Elvis musicals. With this 1958 opus being my favorite of the latter bunch. Other favs included JAILHOUSE ROCK, FLAMING STAR & KID GALAHAD but KING CREOLE was the best IMO.
3) ENTER THE DRAGON - I've written extensively about my experience with this film before so I'll try to condense it as much as possible. After seeing it at the drive-in as a wee lad in 1974 it inspired me into a lifelong study of the martial arts & my participation in combat sports. It led to black belts in kickboxing & Kajukenbo Kempo as well as a professional boxing career. Plus a single pro kickboxing bout.
4) FAT CITY - This is my all-time favorite boxing film. It's an all too often overlooked classic from 1972.
5) ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 - This 1976 action-suspense film is representative of one of my favorite filmmakers John Carpenter. I could just as easily chosen HALLOWEEN, THE THING or PRINCE OF DARKNESS.
6) AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON - This 1981 film is right up there among my top two or three genre films.
7) BLACK CHRISTMAS - Bob Clark's 1974 chiller is at the top of my genre fav films list.
8) REQUIEM FOR A DREAM - this 2000 Jared Leto film is a masterpiece IMHO & a film that I can watch over & over again & never tire of.
9) I SAW THE DEVIL - 2010's best movie IMO & one of the best of that decade.
10) MANDY/ BRAWL IN CELL BLOCK 99/ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD - Yeah, I cheated by declaring that I couldn't choose between these three favorites for the final spot.

So, now you can comment on my list and/or create your own.

Let's try this.

Braveheart
LOTR trilogy (it's basically one story)
The departed
Saving private ryan
Semi-pro
The lion king
Pulp fiction
The patriot
Prisoners
Inception

Some of those probably wouldn't make the cut if I thought longer on it but most would. Braveheart is my #1 for sure.

"To know me", I read this as movies that have characters that mimic me in IRL.

I was like the main character in Vision Quest with the term 'nerd athlete' being very accurate.

My friends would say I was/am like the main character in Breaking Away but I don't see it as I was actually born in Europe.

Yeah, I know, the thread title is definitely poorly worked. I thought about changing it but that's actually the name of the game as it was presented to me so I kept it as is.

As for you being like the protagonist of VISION QUEST, that's very cool because so was I. Although I was in the midst of a successful amateur boxing career in high school I didn't reap the social benefits of it because I was rather introverted & socially awkward until I got into college. Even then, I was more or less a "fighting nerd" because I collected comic books, I loved horror movies & read voraciously when I wasn't in class or training for fights.
I wasn't a totally typical nerd though because although a bit shy, I had success with girls. Once I got into college that is.

Fuck training day and gladiator would replace 2 on my list for sure.

9) I SAW THE DEVIL - 2010's best movie IMO & one of the best of that decade.

Good movie. I only know that one off your entire list. I'll check some out.

Here's mine:

Birdman (2014), USA
Oldboy (2003), South Korea
Donnie Darko (2001), USA
Burning (2018), South Korea
Full Metal Jacket (1987), USA
The Wailing (2016), South Korea
Ichi The Killer (2001), Japan
Lord of the Rings trilogy, especially Fellowship.
Taxi Driver (1976), USA

these damn Koreans make amazing movies.

Great idea for a thread. I’m very eclectic so my list reflects me:
1. Alien/Aliens—Loved sci fi and horror since I was a kid and these movies are the best mash of those 2 genres.
2. Star Wars—My Dad took me when I was 5. He was a movie lover and passed the torch. We shared many movie experiences over the years.
3. Braveheart—Love Mel, and movies with tremendous will.
4. Maltese Falcon—Love the classics, love mysteries.
5. Jaws—Love to be scared, grew up on Long Island. This is a goat.
6. Goonies—Me and my buddies growing up. Bikes and flashlights.
7. The Terminator—The first one, not the Disney versions.
8. There’s Something About Mary/Step Bros-My humor side. Love pranks; love to laugh and make people laugh.
9. Dazed and Confused—I’m not a smoker, but I’m a drinker and love my friends.
10. Rocky—It’s not hard you hit.....

Good movie. I only know that one off your entire list. I'll check some out.

Here's mine:

Birdman (2014), USA
Oldboy (2003), South Korea
Donnie Darko (2001), USA
Burning (2018), South Korea
Full Metal Jacket (1987), USA
The Wailing (2016), South Korea
Ichi The Killer (2001), Japan
Lord of the Rings trilogy, especially Fellowship.
Taxi Driver (1976), USA

these damn Koreans make amazing movies.

They do, indeed.
OLDBOY is a classic, of course, & I absolutely adore THE WAILING. I also love TRAIN FROM BUSAN, THE MAN FROM NOWHERE, THE HOST & MEMORIES OF MURDER.

I have seen myself reflected as a character in all of these:

Brave New World (1980)
The Matrix
Doctor Strange (2016)
They Live
The Game (1997)
Inception
Great Expectations (1998)
The Shawshank Redemption
Once Were Warriors
Fight Club
Wall-E

1: Gifted ~ 2017 ~ It just brings the tears & feels outta me!! :confused:
2: The Girl Next Door ~ 2007 ~ Such an amazing coming of age and romance movie, I watch it at least once per year, it has legendary quotes like ''Was the juice worth the squeeze?'' And ''a fkn tripod!!'' :D
3: Captain America Civil War ~ 2016 ~ Chiefly for the acting of Robert Downey Junior during the scene when he finds out about his parents... :eek: Oscar worthy IMO.
4: Sucker Punch ~ 2011 ~ Such a trip of a movie and connected to a real good memory when I first saw it at the movies :D
5: Paranormal Activity ~ 2007 ~ Scared me senseless the first time I saw it, I literately backed up in the seat watching it at the movies during the ending scene.... :oops:
6: The Man from Earth ~ 2007 ~ Remember watching it at the house of my brother during a rainy night and it just blew our minds completely O.O We still discuss what the heck was true or not... xD
7: Aliens ~ 1986 ~ A perfect movie in my opinion, I've even gone through the books to get Newts perspective and how the colony fell, simply amazing!!
8: Titanic ~ 1997 ~ The perfect romance movie set in the backdrop of a disaster the viewer knows is coming. So many favorite scenes, the first time Jack sees Rose, sex in the car- the way she strokes his face... Or when Rose is alone near the end and looks up at the night sky while singing that song / Amazing!!
9: Dawn of the dead ~ 2004 ~ I was 14 when this movie came out and it had me scared for a week afterwards... :oops: ~ Also extra special because a friend writes extensive fan fiction about this movie!! :D
10: Mulan ~ 1998 ~ Watched it on repeat as a kid and I recently watched it again with my nieces ~ Also a timeless soundtrack like make a man outta you / Short hair ^^

I have no idea what this all means, but it was fun sharing some favorite movies of mine!! :)
@Iroh
@HI SCOTT NEWMAN
@Sir Galahad

Great idea for a thread. I’m very eclectic so my list reflects me:
1. Alien/Aliens—Loved sci fi and horror since I was a kid and these movies are the best mash of those 2 genres.
2. Star Wars—My Dad took me when I was 5. He was a movie lover and passed the torch. We shared many movie experiences over the years.
3. Braveheart—Love Mel, and movies with tremendous will.
4. Maltese Falcon—Love the classics, love mysteries.
5. Jaws—Love to be scared, grew up on Long Island. This is a goat.
6. Goonies—Me and my buddies growing up. Bikes and flashlights.
7. The Terminator—The first one, not the Disney versions.
8. There’s Something About Mary/Step Bros-My humor side. Love pranks; love to laugh and make people laugh.
9. Dazed and Confused—I’m not a smoker, but I’m a drinker and love my friends.
10. Rocky—It’s not hard you hit.....

Eclectic as fuck!

Land Before Time - first movie I saw in the theatre, watched it as an adult and it still hit the feels
Ghostbusters - loved the movie when I was a kid, is still great.
The Last Unicorn - as a kid, this helped introduce me to my obsession with fantasy
Lost Boys - first horror movie I obsessed over
Willow - this was like my LOTR a decade before, still think it’s great
Braveheart
American Psycho - still watch this movie every other year, one of my all time most replayable movies and favs
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - movie always hit me in the feels
LOTR
Highlander - equally the show and movie. Still throw these on every now and then and may be part of a fan group or two

Probably something like (in no particular):

Kiss of the Dragon - maybe my single favorite martial arts movie and set in one of my favorite cities with a literal captain save a hoe as the main character.
Mortal Kombat - really put my passion for martial arts into overdrive and a life long passion for the franchise
A Good Year - my favorite romantic movie
Hannibal - love everything Hanninbal. Prefer this one over SotL. I identify with the character a lot too, as some might remember on here.
The Matrix - We're living in it.
A Beautiful Mind - Relatable main character, awesome movie.
Logan - Perfect gritty movie that really fitted as kind of a cap on a lot of childhood memories
Amadeus - Funny, crazy and passionate
Tropic Thunder - A comedy that blew me away
The Imaginarium of Doctor Pernasus - All kinds of craziness with allegorical meaning, very creative.

Didn't think too long about it though.

Last edited:
I think my ego would like to say Good Will Hunting, but the most accurate movie to represent me, and probably most dudes, is maybe The 13th Warrior, as one of the Vikings. It's the only popular movie I can think of with glory-seeking, ambivalent, smarter than they look, just dudes in it.

300 might be good too, but too many... abdomens and camera tricks, lol...

Braveheart is good, but Wallace's character is polarizing because of his caring so much about his dead wife.

Gladiator is pretty good but it kind of feels like a super hero movie.

There might be some anime that fit that have good examples of "the spirit of a dude", but then the Japanese always throw in reversed gender roles for highly important characters so I can't rightly think of any.

Back