Techniques that just don't work

dickfloss

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
with all the "what's your best combo/technique ?" threads, i'm curious what you guys think are techniques that are just crap

things you see people try out in the gym and you think to yourself "that's never gonna work"

for me it was yours truly trying out the peek-a-boo stance when i was a noob (and i still am) and had no radar whatsoever.. so my head was moving.. but i wasnt looking, and wherever i moved, i would get popped.. i did that for a few sparring sessions before i realised how unco i looked

here's your chance to get some load off your chest and blast that noob you see in the gym! :icon_twis

Twin forarm blocking for me never feels good, and i cant imagin using it in a fight to be honest.

thats for MT btw

Crescent kicks, inside or out.

elbow to the body in the standing position. I don't think i've ever seen one used.

Superman uppercut!

I'm still a fan of peekaboo, personally. I like to keep everything in tight and go defense over offense.

I enjoy watching people that are trying to learn MMA try snap-kicks and reverse-knuckle punches.

elbow to the body in the standing position. I don't think i've ever seen one used.

I don't think I ever even considered that as a technique! Maybe if you were a thalidomide midget.

A headbut to the body would be even more useless. I don't think it's illegal. Could be used in MMA I suppose.

Superman uppercut!

I'm still a fan of peekaboo, personally. I like to keep everything in tight and go defense over offense.

I enjoy watching people that are trying to learn MMA try snap-kicks and reverse-knuckle punches.

Snap kicks? What like front snap kicks? Certainly teep/thrust kicks work.

Spinning back fists have produced some highlight KO's though.

Blocking kicks with your hands. I have seen this in McDojos.

^yeah. esp. low kicks.

blocking low kicks with your hands is just plain stupid.

You can definitely block high kicks with your hands. I remember once at school I was walking in the corridor when the guy in front of me randomly released a back kick at my face (yes, crazy guy). I soaked it up by putting up my open hands, palms facing out, with my one hand flat behind my other, and then absorbed the kick by bringing my hands back like shock absorbers. Was a darn hard kick but I didn't get at all hurt.

What's wrong with front kicks in MMA? Why's nobody ever use them? I think they're a great tool, especially in a street fight.

Just found this: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/6235_koden-kan-karate-kicks-snap-forward.htm

Hahaha that chick completely thinks she is so cool, listen to her giggling at herself! And "Did you catch that?" seals her fate as totally uncool.

Yeah I forgot to add uppercuts with both hands. In krav maga we are taught that it can work if somebody's choking you from in front. I'm not a big fan of it though. why not just do a one hand uppercut, then use your free hand to grab their arm, giving you leverage for a groin kick...

someone mentioned snap kick, im thinking thats just flicking his foot up but without a thrust so no push back, one of the trainers i spar with always does that to the SP, pretty stupid since everyone would be happy take a flick to stomach when you can throw a right hand counter to drop him

but i would feel kinda wrong telling my trainers stop doing stupid things, prob tell me find a new place to train

someone mentioned snap kick, im thinking thats just flicking his foot up but without a thrust so no push back, one of the trainers i spar with always does that to the SP, pretty stupid since everyone would be happy take a flick to stomach when you can throw a right hand counter to drop him

but i would feel kinda wrong telling my trainers stop doing stupid things, prob tell me find a new place to train

If they are throwing the kick properly they should be striking with the ball of their foot and they should be throwing it hard. Thrown properly it should still check foreward movement.

As far as the right hand counter you could say the same for a roundhouse kick.

Also if groin strikes are legal there is nothing wrong with a front snap kick.

Back