Techniques that just don't work

Reverse punch in front stance with lead hand chambered.

ASKING to get clocked.

Butterfly kick ala Hong Kong Flip

pretty. too bad spiking opponents into the mat is illegal in UFC.

side kick to knee joint.

only reason this is here is because its not allowed >_>. too many broken kneecaps as a result of low sidekicks.

flying kick

running start, flying kick... unless it hits its gonna end up looking like BJP vs Carl Uno.

philly shell defense against anyone who is competent...I just can't seem to not eat punches...

Crescent kicks, inside or out.

Coming from a tma background I agree with this completely. How kung fu guys seem to practice those techniques so often always boggles my mind.

Traditional punches in general, esp from a horse stance!

Coming from a tma background I agree with this completely. How kung fu guys seem to practice those techniques so often always boggles my mind.

I broke an ankle off an inside-out front kick which is like a crescent kick but rather than make a half circle, you fire it into the body.

Study all kicks. You can find yourself to the outside of your opponent to the right or left. I would like to have the opportunity to hit from every direction rather than say a kick sucks. If you hit someone in the face with an inside crescent kick you will hurt them.

Outside crescent kicks were ill devised.

havent read the whole thread yet, but i'd have to say one muay thai move that i can't ever see working in a real fight is where you place on foot on the opponent's lead leg, step up, and throw a knee to their face. it's a muay boran move used mainly in demos, but i've talked to people who swear they could pull it off (eye-roll).

Funny how many of these techniques (spinning back fist, awkward elbows, spinning back/sidekick, crescent kick) are all techniques that Anderson Silva has produced good results with.

This thread should be re-titled to:

"Techniques that just don't work for YOU" vs. "Techniques that just dont work"

My opinion, the only technique that does not work is the one you use incorrectly, at the wrong time, or under the wrong circumstances!

Muay Thai high kick works well, unless your in a boxing match! I do think Bernard Hopkins found out how to use a muay thai elbow pretty good in a boxing bout though!:icon_chee

The only technique that really just does not work: Blocking with your face! I cant seem to find a usefull application for blocking with my face, never works in my favor!:icon_chee

Any aikido throw. Does anyone here have a testimonial where one has worked? It doesn't seem possible to catch someones fist and then spin and trhow him.

Crescent kicks: totaly worthless

Old school sweep kicks: great for video games, suck in real life

Shouldering someone in the clinch (Randy Coture): Doesn't look to painful

Grabbing someone by the collar, flipping over them, then throwing them in midair

Capoera cartwheel kicks

I forgot

Grabbing someone by both legs, spinning around numerous times, then releasing them for a throw.

Backflipping to avoid danger

Throwing someone off the ropes, then closelining them as they run back towards you

Any aikido throw. Does anyone here have a testimonial where one has worked? It doesn't seem possible to catch someones fist and then spin and trhow him.

Grabbing someone by the collar, flipping over them, then throwing them in midair

Capoera cartwheel kicks
Yeah the sweep is fucking deadly in Mortal Kombat 2.

front snap kicks, not many situations where you could use that effectively...

the axe kick too.... i can pull it off if I choose too, but it's just too risky... if it landed, it would probably end the fight (head, collarbone), but there's just too many openings, especially if your opponent knows you might throw it.. you're just asking to be taken down, hard..

also the front flip/ninja roll/axe kick (since i have no idea what to call it) that harold howard and miguel torres have used in the past... I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with that one....

also the front flip/ninja roll/axe kick (since i have no idea what to call it) that harold howard and miguel torres have used in the past...
take that back dude! :icon_sad:
axekick.gif

Capoera cartwheel kicks

The shoulder bump isn't meant to hurt, it's to push the opponent w/o leaving yourself exposed like a regular push.

Cuz you're fat. I use it all the time to set up my Hadouken and my Dim Mak.

I've seen a few KO's via cartwheel in MMA and kickboxing, it's all about timing.

front snap kicks, not many situations where you could use that effectively...

the axe kick too.... i can pull it off if I choose too, but it's just too risky... if it landed, it would probably end the fight (head, collarbone), but there's just too many openings, especially if your opponent knows you might throw it.. you're just asking to be taken down, hard..

also the front flip/ninja roll/axe kick (since i have no idea what to call it) that harold howard and miguel torres have used in the past... I don't know what they were trying to accomplish with that one....

You mean front kicks where you snap it out in front instead of pushing? I use it all the time when I don't feel like throwing sidekicks. Or did you mean that version of the teep where you hit w/ the top of the foot?

Going by the gif Thirteen posted I'm assumin he was attempting a rolling/wheel kick:
YouTube - "Kyokushin Karate"?KO?(back spin & other kick)

YouTube - Gary O'Neil kyokushin HL by Daisukey

I hate how youtube's being gay w/ Copyrights and making everyone turn the sound off on their vids. Back on topic: lol, that gif is pretty funny, it looks so weird the way he's doing it though, he just flips over outta nowhere.

Back