Techniques that just don't work

elbow to the body in the standing position. I don't think i've ever seen one used.

Elbows don't have to be thrown horizontally. Try an uppercut elbow to the solar plexus or the ribs at a clinch range, it's pretty devastating.

lol @ the no touch KO video...
one of the comments:
"I've only seen one legitimate "no touch" knockout ever. It was done from about 10ft. away with a .45cal handgun. The guy's chi was definitely broken."

horse stance in general...maybe the jab, because i've never heard of it.

my best friend has a brother who takes eagle claw kung fu and is always talking about some spinning mule kick and how when he takes his first muay thai class.... hes gonna show these people how to really kick..... i am paraphrasing of course...

Lead right hand. I use it as a set up, or to mix things up..but I rarely expct to connect with it, more than likely I'm going to get hit myself.

You can definitely block high kicks with your hands. I remember once at school I was walking in the corridor when the guy in front of me randomly released a back kick at my face (yes, crazy guy). I soaked it up by putting up my open hands, palms facing out, with my one hand flat behind my other, and then absorbed the kick by bringing my hands back like shock absorbers. Was a darn hard kick but I didn't get at all hurt.

What's wrong with front kicks in MMA? Why's nobody ever use them? I think they're a great tool, especially in a street fight.

Just found this: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/6235_koden-kan-karate-kicks-snap-forward.htm

Hahaha that chick completely thinks she is so cool, listen to her giggling at herself! And "Did you catch that?" seals her fate as totally uncool.

Machida does front kicks - I think the reason they aren't use in MMA is the same reason sidekicks aren't used more: because MMA kicking is based off of Muay Thai, so techniques that aren't in MT tend not to be "orthodox"

Machida does front kicks - I think the reason they aren't use in MMA is the same reason sidekicks aren't used more: because MMA kicking is based off of Muay Thai, so techniques that aren't in MT tend not to be "orthodox"

I believe front kicks are a part of Muay Thai.

I never thought that this thing would work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmcqIlJuVQg

Wow. Best stance + footwork EVER!

on another note, why does everybody say the jab doesnt work? I hope you guys are joking... it may be not very effective in the manner that modern day boxers throw it... but then again boxing has been diluted over the years. If you study how jack dempsey, georges carpentier, jim driscoll, bruce lee, etc. threw their "jab" you will see it is a very effective weapon.

the teep is a common weapon in muay thai. The front kick, however gives your opponent the chance to catch it and take you down with a sweep.

Crescent kicks can be effective in some situations. I just about KOed a guy I was sparrin' with one once.

Wow. Best stance + footwork EVER!

on another note, why does everybody say the jab doesnt work? I hope you guys are joking... it may be not very effective in the manner that modern day boxers throw it... but then again boxing has been diluted over the years. If you study how jack dempsey, georges carpentier, jim driscoll, bruce lee, etc. threw their "jab" you will see it is a very effective weapon.

I'm sure they are joking about the jab...

Back