Team Pump: Spinach + Squats = Success

Team Pump?

You do realise this is a squat contest not a curl in the squat rack contest. Bunch of Metros

I'm going to rock the smolov. I think If I can make it through day 1, I'll be good for a week... if I can make it through week 1, I may be able to the first cycle... this all hinges on the first day NOT crushing me... we'll find out on monday.

The smolov articles don't discuss any upper body work though. I was thinking of keeping that really simple: pullups + DB press/db ohp superset robbie robinson style twice a week just for maintenance wherever I feel it won't interfere with squats. I don't anticipate having a lot of (or any) energy after these workouts. Any thoughts? I just have some caveman posture issues I don't want to get worse.

I guess the way I see it, surviving the smolov is about recovery and fortitude. At this point there's little I can do about the fortitude, if it aint there it aint gonna be. The least I can do is lock in the recovery:
-Contrast showers
-Lots of food (8+ servings of veggies, 200+g protein per day, post workout carbs, 4000+ calories per day)
-Appropriate supplementation (peri-workout shake, 10 fish oil caps daily, 5g of creatine daily)
- about 5 minutes of post workout light cardio.

I miss anything?

I'm going to rock the smolov. I think If I can make it through day 1, I'll be good for a week... if I can make it through week 1, I may be able to the first cycle... this all hinges on the first day NOT crushing me... we'll find out on monday.

The smolov articles don't discuss any upper body work though. I was thinking of keeping that really simple: pullups + DB press/db ohp superset robbie robinson style twice a week just for maintenance wherever I feel it won't interfere with squats. I don't anticipate having a lot of (or any) energy after these workouts. Any thoughts? I just have some caveman posture issues I don't want to get worse.

I guess the way I see it, surviving the smolov is about recovery and fortitude. At this point there's little I can do about the fortitude, if it aint there it aint gonna be. The least I can do is lock in the recovery:
-Contrast showers
-Lots of food (8+ servings of veggies, 200+g protein per day, post workout carbs, 4000+ calories per day)
-Appropriate supplementation (peri-workout shake, 10 fish oil caps daily, 5g of creatine daily)

I miss anything?

I downloaded a squat spreadsheet. Lots of volume so I was thinking just 3x5 on ehte bench, ohp, bor and pull up once a week each. Then lots of food, fish oil and shakes on top of it.

I have the posture issues too. Since I can't BS until I build some boxes, I think I'm going to bust out a FS & RDL centric program for the next month with lots of prehab and posture work in there.

Ok I'm off to look for a cheap Olympic weight set. Peace. Remember it's not important what program you use, just so long as we crush the other teams.

-Contrast showers

I miss anything?
Sounds a lot like my current plan -
  1. 250g+ of protein
  2. fish oil, glucosamine and chondroitin
  3. creatine
  4. beta-alanine
  5. simple carb and hydrolysed whey shake after training
  6. High rep supermans, leg extensions and leg curls immediately after working sets
  7. long walk on off days
  8. no lifting under 5 reps for any other lifts + low volume

Fortitude can be helped along with correct music selection, make sure you take your log along with you and tick sets off as you go, if ou xcan find someone to train with you do it, I'm bloodyglad I've got someone to suffer through this with me. which brings up my second point CAN WE DRAFT ROB INTO OUR TEAM AS WE'RE ONE SHORT ANYWAY?

I'm not happy with taking unilateral action with regards to bringing him into the team and would like to hear from you guys, bear in mind - I want something extra to help motivate him, I will get him posting on here, he's still making noob gains and he can really bring up our team total.

Smash good plan...high rep bw calisthenics may help too...

since this is a friendly comp...i dont see a reason why u cant draft another person...

Smash good plan...high rep bw calisthenics may help too...

since this is a friendly comp...i dont see a reason why u cant draft another person...

Actually with us being down a man it actually makes it fairer for us to use the smae number of people as everyone else.

Oh and BTW get the fuck out before I change your belt to a 'sneaking around spying on other people's teams belt', just kidding.

Today's working sets - 120kgs (264lbs) for 7 sets of 5

Hi im Rob and would like to join Team pump. As I am a complete newb to squating I should do quite well on the smolov cycle myself and smash are currently going through. My current max is 231lbs (so shit then) I hope by the end to reach 300lbs.
I will soon set up training log and post much more regularly

Wow... new to squats and jumping on the smolov train... that's gonna leave some emotional scars. Adding rob is good ok with me. winteriscoming organized this whole thing, any objections to adding an 8th member?

anyone heard from blond warrior?

Hi im Rob and would like to join Team pump. As I am a complete newb to squating I should do quite well on the smolov cycle myself and smash are currently going through. My current max is 231lbs (so shit then) I hope by the end to reach 300lbs.
I will soon set up training log and post much more regularly

Welcome to the team, apparently.

I know you're under good supervision and all, just keep in mind coaches advertising Smolov usually have people with a minimum of 1,5x BW squat in mind. Now the noob gains can help you, but still, be careful.

I can't find comma on this. freaking. keyboard.

popolive1.jpg

first pic is perfect :D

BTW i worked out today:

Squats - 112.5kg 5 x 5 (+2.5kg)
SOHP - 52.5kg 5 x 5 (+2.5kg but last set was more of a push-pres)
BOR - 92.5kg 5 x 5 (+2.5kg)
Pull-ups - 2 x 6 +5kg, 2 x 3 +10kg
Russian Twists - 10kg 3 x 10

overall very happy with the workout today, hopefully i can bring a camera into the gym so you guys can critique my form. the heavier it gets, the more dangerous it gets so i'd like to know now how much my form sucks before i fuck myself up.

Back