Team Pump: Spinach + Squats = Success

Adding an 8th guy should be fine ideally I would like to find an 8th for Standard too so I don't have to fuck with the numbers to make everything fair.

Welcome to the team, apparently.

I know you're under good supervision and all

Hang on, who else is coaching him then?
Wow... new to squats and jumping on the smolov train... that's gonna leave some emotional scars.
Worse than training with me? Urban, you really know how to hurt a guy's feelings.

Fuck me Smolov. Alright I'm sold lets fucking kill ourselves in the name of pain. Hmm I want to at least maintain on my other lifts. Any of you guys suggest how I can work in pullups, bench, ohp, BOR and possibly deadlifts without killing myself?

Forget deads for the cycle. Do some grip work, and focus on squats. I mentioned already I'm just going to do pullups + DB bench/ohp supersets when i feel compelled to maintain upperbody strength, probably do some scapular retraction work with strand pulling too, but it's all very minimal. I keep thinking about this smolov routine (todays my first session), and all I can think is 4x9 with what i've done 1x10 with before... I don't want to leave the gym without completing it, but it may take me a couple hours.

Yeah I just started lifting in November and 5x5 is about all I've done. This is gonna be a fucking nightmare but hey what the hell. Think i'll do a 5x5 BOR monday, 5x5 OHP Wed, 5x5 Pullups Fri and 5x5 Bench Sat. Tabitha sprints and LSD runs might have to be curtailed to 1 or 2x a week. Man this has overtraining written all over it but for 3 weeks fuck it my body can man up.

Smolov (death by squat) Week 1, Day 1

A) Squatzorz
Warmup barX10 or so, 135X6, 225X3
255X9
4 minute rest
255X9 Ugh!
7.5 minute rest
255X9 Better
8 minute rest
255X9 Worse than the 3rd set..

Looks like long rest periods are required to survive, for me. I hardly rested at lockout. I am going to have to rest a little longer at lockout next week when I have to do this shit with 275. My back was a little sore after the squats. My flexibility is for shit. I was nearly bottoming out on every rep. I am sure that my lower back was rounding a little at the bottom. I did not choose 375 as my 1 Rm for figuring out the percentages, I used 365. I think this was a good move.

About a 5 minute break.

B1)Bench Press
170X3
170X3
170X3

B2)Chin-up
BWX3
BWX3
BWX3

All reps done chest to bar from dead hang. B1 and B2 means alternating sets. I took about 60-90 seconds rest between sets. Between sets I did static and ballistic hamstring and glute stretches. I think it will help if I do them every session. I have never been very flexible.

This is going to be my plan for upper body work:

Monday:
Bench Press/Chinups 3X3
Wednesday:
OHP/Chest Supported Rows 3X3
Friday:
Pull ups/Dips 3X3
Saturday:
Maybe some AB work

Each day will have a push and pull movement done with alternating sets. I think the lower volume will prevent burnout. The most I have ever done for a triple on bench is 230. So since the program is 12 weeks I just counted backwards 5lbs for 12 weeks (60lbs) and started with 170. I will move up 5 lbs each week until I am at my peak. I will most likely increase the rest times as I get heavier. The rest of the movements will be done in a similar fashion with the exception of pullup and chinups. I suck at these and I will probably just add a set for the first couple of weeks and then start increasing reps per set Hepburn style. This is not set in stone. I may decide to back off towards the end, approaching squat test day. I think starting light will allow me to get used to the squat volume. This first day I did all reps explosively since the light weight.

I did not see any schedule or guidance for the 2 week "switching" cycle other than do dynamic and plyo stuff. Any body have any ideas on this?

Huge post.

Looks like our whole team is on the Russian devil program. Might have to change the team name to Comrade Popeye.

I did not see any schedule or guidance for the 2 week "switching" cycle other than do dynamic and plyo stuff. Any body have any ideas on this?
I was thinking Box squats twice a week with about 60% of my new 1rm for 12x2 twice a week, and some negatives with 105%-110% maybe preceeding that. After the first four weeks I anticipate wanting to keep it real light. I was thinking about picking up that copy of milo where pavel goes over negatives... it was reccomended in the dragondoor article on the smolov.

I was thinking Box squats twice a week with about 60% of my new 1rm for 12x2 twice a week, and some negatives with 105%-110% maybe preceeding that. After the first four weeks I anticipate wanting to keep it real light. I was thinking about picking up that copy of milo where pavel goes over negatives... it was reccomended in the dragondoor article on the smolov.

That looks pretty good. I saw negatives and Westside style DE work in the article but it did not specify how much of each.

EDIT: Damn it, Sherdog died on me a second ago. It gave me the red "X".

oh yeah, my lower back was aching after a set i did. you guys i was rounding my back?

Hi Fellas, sorry for my out-of-touchness.

Thanks for drafting me, Urban! I'll get a kick-ass Av lined up soon.

Since it's my first post in the log:

Blondie: current: 365, goal: 405 would be amazing.

Currently, I'm training on a 10-day powerlifting cycle with some strongman training thrown in. My next contest will be 9/20 for strongwoman and then my next meet for PL is on 6/28. My 10-day routine looks something like this:

1.)heavy bench, max work
2.)speed squat, heavy pulls
3.)bench lockout, triceps, heavy bench sets with 3-boards
4.)heavy squat, speed pulls

So, per 10 days, I have 2 designated squat/pull days. This will be until at least 6/28.

Looks like our whole team is on the Russian devil program. Might have to change the team name to Comrade Popeye.

I'm going to implement a 4-week cycle at some point, but I use my legs too much to tackle the whole thing. But hey, noob gains (hopefully)!

I'm going to implement a 4-week cycle at some point, but I use my legs too much to tackle the whole thing. But hey, noob gains (hopefully)!

Yeah thats how I feel. I'm just on my feet way too much for a full smolov cycle. Going to do rotating cycles of smolov Jr. instead. This is assuming I find weights on friday.

^^^LAWL at the non-popeye av... noob.

It's so funny getting everything locked in tight in regards to diet, but I've accumulated quite the pharmacy, especially after a trip to GNC today.

Daily:
10 fish oil caps
240g of whey protein concentrate (160g net protein)
12 BCAA tablets on training day, 12 on off days.
8 Beta Alanine tablets
3 ultra mega greens tablets
5g creatine monohydrate

Pre workout:
1 redline tablet (yup, back on uppers. but this is only pre-workout... so far... and is 1/3 a full dose)

peri/post workout
carb/protein drink
10 BCAA tablets

Dietary list
1 gallon of water
4 servings cruciferous vegetables
6 additional servings of fruits/vegetables
80+g of protein from food sources

todays workout -
Warmup complex: 5 hang snatches + 5 snatch grip behind the next push presses + 5 overhead squats x 3 @ 45lbs. one minute rest in between each complex.

Squats - 5 @ 135; 4 @ 150; 3 @ 180; 2 @ 200; 4x9 @ 225, first set was belted. Honestly, this was much easier than I anticipated. I think getting my dietary shit straight for the last three days and popping a redline before the workout really helped. After the belted set I thought, "Jesus... I can DO this!" Tore off the belt and went for the remaining three. I hope to remain beltless for the remainder of the competition.

1a) Rope pullups - 8 @ bw; 6,8 @ 10 lbs. More weight next time
1b) DB OHP - 8 @ 35, 45; 6 @ 55. More reps at 55 next time.

I think I'll be ungodly sore tomorrow and for wednesday's workout, but I got one in the books, and it went exceptionally well, so I'm psyched!

I do appreciate both the novelty of your initial decision to bare a team avatar, and the ass of your current av. Hey, at least our name is in it, so I'm good.

Back