Social Teacher asks 6th grade Student not to Make Trump her Hero for Project

JFK fucked around on his wife and was considered great, was he not?

I'm surprised you'd support a teacher dictating to students who they can find heroic or not. Let her do the project and if it doesn't meet the criteria, then grade her on it.
I didn't, I've said multiple times that the teacher shouldn't have allowed politics in the project if she wasn't ready to disagree with a student.

JFK did some good and bad for sure, ultimately he died for the country and is remembered for his place in the Civil Rights Movement. Trump's real success as president is continuing to ride out the trends that started in Obama's presidency.

You really think it compares to i dunno, nuclear apocalypse though?
Both are scary. I see government overreach as a much more likely scenario than a nuclear apocalypse.

Man what a messed up time it is when a kid is being told by a teacher that she can't have the president of the U.S. as her hero. I agree it's a bit of an odd choice for a kid to make these days, but our country is getting way too divided. I'm 38 years old and I never remember the left and right being at each others throats like this.

It's the Russians/Koreans/Chinese/Foreign states I tell you. They can't win in a straight up war, but they can sow the seeds of misinformation, discontent and division amongst society, and watch as America and other Western countries fall from grace.

My theory - after 9/11, they saw how quickly a whole bunch of Americans jumped on the 'it's a conspiracy' bandwagon - and thought

"what a bunch of gullible morons. Wait a minute - there's an idea. Lets use online media to sow a whole bunch more conspiracies and divisive ideas, and see if it takes hold".

Low and behold - 20 years later, the country is awash with idiots, now fairly deep-rooted into the education system, politics and society as a whole....with the left and right fighting each other, nobody progresses, and totalitarian, single policy states like Russia/china forge ahead....

Last edited:
It's the Russians/Koreans/Chinese/Foreign states I tell you. They can't win in a straight up war, but they can sow the seeds of misinformation, discontent and division amongst society, and watch as America and other Western countries fall from grace.

My theory - after 9/11, they saw how quickly a whole bunch of Americans jumped on the 'it's a conspiracy' bandwagon - and thought

"what a bunch of gullible morons. Wait a minute - there's an idea. Lets use social media to sow a whole bunch more conspiracies and divisive ideas, and see if it takes hold".

Low and behold - 20 years later, the country is awash with idiots, now fairly deep-rooted into the education system, politics and society as a whole....with the left and right fighting each other, nobody progresses, and totalitarian, single policy states like Russia/china forge ahead....
They saw the future impact of social media in 2001? That's some impressive foresight.

Despite his many failings and disabilities and bad looks and senseless rambling, he became president. If that's not heroic well I don't know if I want to be on this earth anymore.
Whether you agree with him or not is not really the point. Its more that I shouldn't have to find the same people heroic just because its the popular idea. To some people, the things he ran on WERE heroic. That doesn't mean YOU have to believe they were. Seems to me that thats what the point of the assignment should be. Thoughtful reasoning behind the respect someone has commanded. Not to identify the kids who fall in line.

They saw the future impact of social media in 2001? That's some impressive foresight.
ICQ, messenger, Yahoo, forums were thriving then - though I don't mean social media in 2001. But with the advent of social media, it's now easy.

When I was in 9th grade we were asked to pick a great American to do a presentation on. My first choice was Malcolm X but my teacher flipped out and said no way. I just accepted it but in hindsight I should've contested that shit, right @LogicalInsanity ?

That's pretty messed up. I read a Malcom X book about his life once it was pretty good. In school I wouldn't have cared enough to complain because I just was never that interested in stuff like this.

Whether you agree with him or not is not really the point. Its more that I shouldn't have to find the same people heroic just because its the popular idea. To some people, the things he ran on WERE heroic. That doesn't mean YOU have to believe they were. Seems to me that thats what the point of the assignment should be. Thoughtful reasoning behind the respect someone has commanded. Not to identify the kids who fall in line.
The teacher should allow it but is there a line? What’s the worst person kids can bring forward as their hero? Serious question btw

The teacher should allow it but is there a line? What’s the worst person kids can bring forward as their hero? Serious question btw
Whats the intention of the assignment, I guess is the pertinent question. Really though, who's right is it to tell me who I find heroic, assuming I can make a realistic case for their heroism?

Whats the intention of the assignment, I guess is the pertinent question. Really though, who's right is it to tell me who I find heroic, assuming I can make a realistic case for their heroism?
Extreme case, but some kids could pick a school shooter as their hero. I’m wondering if I would allow that one.

Alexander the Great or Genghis Khan I guess.

Teacher kinda has a point. What exactly are trumps heroic qualities? I know he had his own personal Vietnam and all but can’t think of anything past that. Is calling out fake news heroic? Bashing Cher? Catchy slogans?

Teacher should not have banned her though would have been a good teachable moment by having her explain her logic.

No she dosent, the kids aren’t making a project about the teachers feelings, it’s about their own opinions, nobody else’s.

I can't imagine caring about this in either direction.

You’d be crying like the little bitch you are if a teacher told a kid they couldn’t talk about Obama...I know it, you know it, we all know it. Stop lying.

Alexander was pretty good for his pow’s. Actually I’d love to talk to a kid whose hero is Attila the hun.
What about Jesus or Prophet Muhammad(PBUH)? Kind of generic and potentially controversial but how can you deny that?

No she dosent, the kids aren’t making a project about the teachers feelings, it’s about their own opinions, nobody else’s.

Yes she does that's why she's the teacher to correct the kids when they are being morons...their sensitive feelings should not enter into the equation.

Power move. It’s like a student asking if they can go to the bathroom, and you’re just like “no”.
I do this constantly.... because wtf is wrong if you asking for the bathroom 5 minutes after break? That's what break is for!

So here's the chain of information:

1. Kid calls mom and tells her that she was told she couldn't choose Trump for her project.
2. Mom goes into mom mode, raises hell with school and calls the media.
3. School says it didn't happen like that.
4. Child is, in the end, doing the project on Trump.

I'm not ready to pitchfork the teacher just yet. First, we don't know school policy, which might matter here. Second, this all hinges on the word of a disappointed 11-year-old calling her mom-mode mommy. When it comes to academic freedom, the kid should not be forbidden to pick who she wants, but that doesn't mean a teacher can't educate the student and encourage them to make a different choice (also an academic freedom issue).

If the teacher gave her opinion and taught the student about the president's disrespect for women, discouraging her choice, I'm fine with that as long as it's within school policy. If the teacher said "no, you have to pick somebody else" then the teacher has put the school in a bad spot and she needs to be corrected (but not by the entire country).
Excellent post, hard to disagree with

Back