Social Teacher asks 6th grade Student not to Make Trump her Hero for Project

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score

When sixth-graders at Samoset Middle School were assigned to pick a hero on whom they would write a report, 11-year-old Bella Moscato said her choice was a no-brainer.

"Donald Trump is my hero," she says.

The 45th U.S. president has been Bella's idol since she was 8 years old, which is why she dressed up as Trump for a third-grade class project. But Bella says when she told her sixth-grade teacher that Trump was her choice for the hero project, the teacher nixed the idea.

Bella says her teacher said Trump "spreads negativity and says bad stuff about women" in front of another teacher and students in the class. The teacher told her to pick another hero.

Bella's mother, Valerie Moscato, says she was outraged when her daughter called her from school about the incident. She says what the teacher did amounts to intimidation and censorship.

http://longisland.news12.com/story/...-couldnt-use-president-trump-for-hero-project

Man what a messed up time it is when a kid is being told by a teacher that she can't have the president of the U.S. as her hero. I agree it's a bit of an odd choice for a kid to make these days, but our country is getting way too divided. I'm 38 years old and I never remember the left and right being at each others throats like this.

Last edited:
That's absurd. You could pick Jefferson no doubt and he was a slave owner.

So the school denies that this happened?

I guess it's possible this was a publicity stunt on the part of the student/parents.

So the school denies that this happened?

I guess it's possible this was a publicity stunt on the part of the student/parents.

Or it's the school board in damage control mode. Either one is possible I guess.

Bella looks old for 11 lol. Like 18, damn she gonna age bad.

<TheDonald>

There are lots of people with TDS out there, people suffering from TDS wont hesitate to intimidate children for having different opinions.

I'm expecting the "FALSE FLAG!" crowd to stampede in here any minute now, since they're consistent across the aisle, right? Bonus points for Waig on this front. I suspect a lot of them will suddenly be all "I stand with the victims!" though.

When sixth-graders at Samoset Middle School were assigned to pick a hero on whom they would write a report, 11-year-old Bella Moscato said her choice was a no-brainer.

"Donald Trump is my hero," she says.

The 45th U.S. president has been Bella's idol since she was 8 years old, which is why she dressed up as Trump for a third-grade class project. But Bella says when she told her sixth-grade teacher that Trump was her choice for the hero project, the teacher nixed the idea.

Bella says her teacher said Trump "spreads negativity and says bad stuff about women" in front of another teacher and students in the class. The teacher told her to pick another hero.

Bella's mother, Valerie Moscato, says she was outraged when her daughter called her from school about the incident. She says what the teacher did amounts to intimidation and censorship.

http://longisland.news12.com/story/...-couldnt-use-president-trump-for-hero-project

Man what a messed up time it is when a kid is being told by a teacher that she can't have the president of the U.S. as her hero. I agree it's a bit of an odd choice for a kid to make these days, but our country is getting way too divided. I'm 38 years old and I never remember the left and right being at each others throats like this.

When I was in 9th grade we were asked to pick a great American to do a presentation on. My first choice was Malcolm X but my teacher flipped out and said no way. I just accepted it but in hindsight I should've contested that shit, right @LogicalInsanity ?

When I was in 9th grade we were asked to pick a great American to do a presentation on. My first choice was Malcolm X but my teacher flipped out and said no way. I just accepted it but in hindsight I should've contested that shit, right @LogicalInsanity ?
Weird kid. Could you just pick Super Dave like the rest of the kids? Though, I guess picking Trump is a lot like picking Super Dave...

I'm expecting the "FALSE FLAG!" crowd to stampede in here any minute now, since they're consistent across the aisle, right? Bonus points for Waig on this front. I suspect a lot of them will suddenly be all "I stand with the victims!" though.
Are you praising me or criticizing me? I can't tell.

Weird kid. Could you just pick Super Dave like the rest of the kids? Though, I guess picking Trump is a lot like picking Super Dave...
Don't you ever compare Super Dave to Trump again.

Super Dave is a fucking American treasure.

Power move. It’s like a student asking if they can go to the bathroom, and you’re just like “no”.

Really? Where did you go to school? I went to school in the 80's and 90's and I can remember covering Malcom X in history class. My school(s) were 98% white too. If this really happened and you're not trolling then yes you should have reported your teacher.

Really? Where did you go to school? I went to school in the 80's and 90's and I can remember covering Malcom X in history class. My school(s) were 98% white too. If this really happened and you're not trolling then yes you should have reported your teacher.
Yeah I was pretty surprised when she flipped out since I didn't think I said anything wrong. I went to school in South Florida, not some rural backwoods town in like Mississippi if that's what you are wondering. Most of the kids were Hispanic unsurprisingly.

This literally never happened.

So here's the chain of information:

1. Kid calls mom and tells her that she was told she couldn't choose Trump for her project.
2. Mom goes into mom mode, raises hell with school and calls the media.
3. School says it didn't happen like that.
4. Child is, in the end, doing the project on Trump.

I'm not ready to pitchfork the teacher just yet. First, we don't know school policy, which might matter here. Second, this all hinges on the word of a disappointed 11-year-old calling her mom-mode mommy. When it comes to academic freedom, the kid should not be forbidden to pick who she wants, but that doesn't mean a teacher can't educate the student and encourage them to make a different choice (also an academic freedom issue).

If the teacher gave her opinion and taught the student about the president's disrespect for women, discouraging her choice, I'm fine with that as long as it's within school policy. If the teacher said "no, you have to pick somebody else" then the teacher has put the school in a bad spot and she needs to be corrected (but not by the entire country).

Back