Tap Excuses

i needed to fart but i didnt wanna fart while we rolled

Commissar said:
I fight all submissions to the bitter end, and I've only ever broken a rib.

maybe thats why you 1-2 in bjj.

Keep it up, your doing great.

If someone wants to keep looking for options untill the end then that's their choice and not one that should be critisised. If you give up too easy then your defence game will suffer for it.

Personally there are some moves (arm bars when they're on right before the hips are boosted in, heel hooks and others) that i'll tap right away for and others (traingle choke, achilies lock etc) that i'll try to escape for a while.

It's each to their own.

i dont make excuses for tapping. I tap to white belts plenty. Do you want to get something broken by a spaz so you cant train tommarrow?

I dont have excuses for tapping. Once I did though, the cup was shoving into my tooth in triangle so I said that your cup was in my mouth...He joked that he wasnt wearing a cup...lol

But in general somtimes I tap before I feel pain if I know I'm fucked. To start over and try again.

dutchmasterj3 said:
There was one guy in my class who fortunately doesnt come anymore who is the biggest pussy. If you got side mount on this dude and went for an armbar he would like tap out once you passed your leg over his head and had control of his arm.

Thing is though those people never learn. That dude must have been rolling for a year, and I started crushing his ass within my first 3 weeks of class.

I hate dudes who tap out to early and dont really let you apply the pressure cause it hurts both of your games.

How is it bad for someone's game to tapout out when he knows that fighting out will only hurt him worse? When my instructor (brown belt) slaps an armlock and starts to extend my arm with his hips, i tap before it locks out. Why waste all my energy that could go into not getting subbed later into pulling all hard in a worthless attempt to get out?

We should always train with a spirit of safety and caution. It sounds like you are just the kind of guy that likes to be a badass and has no understanding of what it means to train with a "team" instead of just trying to kick your friends' ass.

I'll fight out of an armlock if i feel as if it isn't tight enough yet. If someone is being a bit lazy with his knees, for example, I will capitalize on that situation and often end up on top in his guard or even taking his back, depending on how long he tries to hold. I will fight as long as it makes sense to do so. No longer.

Instead of trying to fight, tap out and recreate the scenario a moment before you got caught and try to figure out how to avoid losing your arm. Then restart the roll right there and execute.

Try to convince me how your way is a better way of learning the sport than mine...please, i dare you.

Terrier said:
If someone wants to keep looking for options untill the end then that's their choice and not one that should be critisised. If you give up too easy then your defence game will suffer for it.

Personally there are some moves (arm bars when they're on right before the hips are boosted in, heel hooks and others) that i'll tap right away for and others (traingle choke, achilies lock etc) that i'll try to escape for a while.

It's each to their own.

I agree

rooku said:
How is it bad for someone's game to tapout out when he knows that fighting out will only hurt him worse? When my instructor (brown belt) slaps an armlock and starts to extend my arm with his hips, i tap before it locks out. Why waste all my energy that could go into not getting subbed later into pulling all hard in a worthless attempt to get out?

We should always train with a spirit of safety and caution. It sounds like you are just the kind of guy that likes to be a badass and has no understanding of what it means to train with a "team" instead of just trying to kick your friends' ass.

I'll fight out of an armlock if i feel as if it isn't tight enough yet. If someone is being a bit lazy with his knees, for example, I will capitalize on that situation and often end up on top in his guard or even taking his back, depending on how long he tries to hold. I will fight as long as it makes sense to do so. No longer.

Instead of trying to fight, tap out and recreate the scenario a moment before you got caught and try to figure out how to avoid losing your arm. Then restart the roll right there and execute.

Try to convince me how your way is a better way of learning the sport than mine...please, i dare you.

Dutch Master was complaining about somebody tapping before a submission was even close. There's a world of difference between that and not tapping in the last 5 degrees of motion before the arm is locked out.

If there's any doubt that I will be successful in defending the sub I'll tap. If I think there's an escape but feel it's too risky I'll tap then ask them to let me experiment. I'll even tap early for those guys that always keep it tight.

While it is better to never make excuses, people often don't realize when others are going light with them or even directly giving them positions or submissions to practice working out of them. Next time someone makes an excuse, instead of instantly interpreting it as lame BS, first, ask yourself, did you have to fight for what you got? At all? Is this guy usually much better than this? What was he trying to do? Then if you don't believe him, ask him to go hard with you.
   Its just as annoying to have someone gloat over subbing you when you pulled them into mount on you and gave them a keylock to practice working out of it, as it is to actually work to get the mount and extract an arm and get a keylock for yourself, then have the person make a BS excuse. The former happend to me recently, but I didn't make an excuse, I just quickly got the guy in a mounted triangle the next roll.

Commissar said:

Same here, I've always been raised on the saying you practice how you play, you train half ass and tap early. THen you get used to doing that in will more than likely do that when it comes to competition time. I've always fought till i absolutely had to tap, never gotten hurt...

But as far as lame excuses, last night i was a the guard of someone at class and he was in very tight with it and just like clinging on for dear life so i posture up(he continues to hold on) and then start pressing down on his chest with my forearm(not my elbow at all) and he taps and says, and i quote"dont press so hard on my chest) and i was only going say 80%. I was ridiculous in my mind. When i started i got my ass kicked all over the gym, but i took it like you should and only developed and learned from it.

"you're way bigger then me" even though I only had about 5 pounds on the guy.

Commissar said:

Well but you're a brazilian jiu-jitsu competitor so must be some sort of super man.

Back