Tap Excuses

I had to tap to a mount once in my first lesson because I felt like i was going to throw up - but I was BADY out of shape when i first started training.

Still this thread made me think of that and feel like a tool

Terrier said:
I had to tap to a mount once in my first lesson because I felt like i was going to throw up - but I was BADY out of shape when i first started training.

Still this thread made me think of that and feel like a tool

Ha ha... That's not so bad, man. I had trouble with some anti-biotics I was on after a surgery, and I tapped out to a guy sitting in my guard, just because he started to stack me. I immediately scrambled to the edge of the mat and started dry heaving into a bucket.

Thing is, I try to eat very light or not at all before training, as I always wind up feeling sick or sluggish. You apaprently had to down a decent amount of food with this medication, though, or it did a number on you.

Envious said:
I hate the jerkoff's with something to prove that try to force submissions and end up injuring your arm in the process.

Arent you supposed to tap to prevent this happening?

Oktavius said:
Arent you supposed to tap to prevent this happening?

Sometimes it is too late to tap.

b0b said:
Sometimes it is too late to tap.

Yea I had this a few months ago - training with someone who maybe wanted to win a little too badly - got me in the armbar position but i kept bending my arm from side to side in order to try to escape - anyway I think he got frustrated and when he finally did manage to get my arm in place within a split second he boosted his hips right into it (presumably frustrated with being so close and not wanting me to get out) - at this point my arm made a loud crack, felt ok at the time but it was a good few weeks before it was right again (still twinges from time to time now)

The guy was sorry and I think had just gotten caught in the moment - but yea sometimes a partner will hurt you before you get a chance to do anything about it.

on the flip side - maybe from his POV he thought i had plenty of time to tap and it was my fault - suppose it's just one of those thing.

These things happen anyway.

I would guess that situation is what gets people hurt. When rolling, if you are resisting an armbar or kimura, etc... then they are building up potential energy. When your grip or what ever finally "gives" it turns all of that force into kenetic energy and you probably have no choice but to take it. When I am rolling and someone has me good, and my only defense is to grab a gi, I go ahead and tap.

b0b said:
I would guess that situation is what gets people hurt. When rolling, if you are resisting an armbar or kimura, etc... then they are building up potential energy. When your grip or what ever finally "gives" it turns all of that force into kenetic energy and you probably have no choice but to take it. When I am rolling and someone has me good, and my only defense is to grab a gi, I go ahead and tap.

I'm with you bOb, I would rather tap then destroy my joint.

The conundrum is: "How will I ever learn to escape submissions (especially joint locks) if I tap before trying?"

One resolution: tell your partner that you are trying to work on escaping <insert submission>. Ask your partner not to fully extend the lock, but rather keep a firm grip. This will let your partner know you are not trying to be hardheaded about not tapping. Also, recognize when you are fighting a hopeless battle and tap!

dutchmasterj3 said:
There was one guy in my class who fortunately doesnt come anymore who is the biggest pussy. If you got side mount on this dude and went for an armbar he would like tap out once you passed your leg over his head and had control of his arm.

Thing is though those people never learn. That dude must have been rolling for a year, and I started crushing his ass within my first 3 weeks of class.

I hate dudes who tap out to early and dont really let you apply the pressure cause it hurts both of your games.

I tap early on my right arm with certain guys. You know the guys who crank soemthing hard... so why put your self in the position to be hurt when you know your caught, your caught.

Also i tap early on that arm because of previous injury... If it gets close i tap...Im not about to reinjur it over some bullshit.. I could care less if it hurts their game.. it could have hurt my game way worse by being injured and not being able to train.

People can call it pussy all day long... those are the same guys walking off the matt that same week holding their elbow because they thought they could escape.

Terrier said:
Yea I had this a few months ago - training with someone who maybe wanted to win a little too badly - got me in the armbar position but i kept bending my arm from side to side in order to try to escape - anyway I think he got frustrated and when he finally did manage to get my arm in place within a split second he boosted his hips right into it (presumably frustrated with being so close and not wanting me to get out) - at this point my arm made a loud crack, felt ok at the time but it was a good few weeks before it was right again (still twinges from time to time now)

The guy was sorry and I think had just gotten caught in the moment - but yea sometimes a partner will hurt you before you get a chance to do anything about it.

on the flip side - maybe from his POV he thought i had plenty of time to tap and it was my fault - suppose it's just one of those thing.

These things happen anyway.

Even worse than that is when you are trying to help someone out, because, for instance, they are trying to crank a key lock, and you just want to tell them "Dude, if you moved my elbow toward my waist, you'd have it already..."

Do they go "Oh!" and start to adjust?

No. They throw their weight into moving the arm all at once while it's already torqued far past the breaking point had they moved it before hand.

Why you would make an excuse for tapping is ridiculous...Ive tapped plenty of times..no shame in it..learn every time I get tapped and come back stronger

I got a guy in a tight triangle, no gi, but he was tough and didn't tap. I felt him go limp so I let go, and he fell back and hit his head on a wall. I went over to him to see if her was ok, and as he was waking up he said "its a lucky thing we're so sweaty and I slipped out of that." I didn't have the heart to tell him that he'd been asleep for 15 seconds.

We had a Hapkido guy come to our judo class and I tapped him with a simple cross collar choke while he was in my guard. He asked what I did and then proceeded to explain to me that it would never work "on the street". I asked him if he owned a leather or denim jacket. :D

tapping is part of jiu jitsu... its important to know your limits and learn from eveyrthing... i had acl/mcl recon on my knee i roll all the time with all different kinds of people if some one lands a knee bar on me ill tap because its not worth it and i shouldnt have let them land it anyways.. if they heel hook my shit ill tap and then beat the living fuck out of them... no heel hooks

Well, when I was a kid it was either tap or ballet. My Mom was like nuts, and I wanted to do football and all, but she like made me take the classes..so yeah I tap. But it's my Mom's fault. I never liked it. God!

Gsoares2 said:
I tap early on my right arm with certain guys. You know the guys who crank soemthing hard... so why put your self in the position to be hurt when you know your caught, your caught.

Also i tap early on that arm because of previous injury... If it gets close i tap...Im not about to reinjur it over some bullshit.. I could care less if it hurts their game.. it could have hurt my game way worse by being injured and not being able to train.

People can call it pussy all day long... those are the same guys walking off the matt that same week holding their elbow because they thought they could escape.
I fight all submissions to the bitter end, and I've only ever broken a rib.

Back