Tap Excuses

Coach Couzo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It cracks me up when people make excuses for tapping. I understand weight, strength, speed, age, and sex excuses to a point, but sometimes your opponent just set up a great submission using technique, speed, savvy, and/or strength (yes, strength is something people work hard to obtain

Chad Hamilton said:
"You just popped the capsule in my elbow you f#%k."

Man, that guy should have tapped a bit faster... Have you trained with Travis Lutter in Arlington, TX?

Coach Couzo said:
It cracks me up when people make excuses for tapping. I understand weight, strength, speed, age, and sex excuses to a point...

I've got a headache?

The only time someone should have to say "I couldn't breathe" or soemthing like that after tapping is when it came out of nowhere. Like, if the guy's sweaty, nasty gi winds up over your head, and you can't get your head out, or, as has happened to me, you go for something and you wind up with your thumb caught in the gi, or your hand winds up deep in the gi, and you're cow hoofing yourself, I've tapped, a guy's been like: "What did I get?"

And I'll be like "My hand was stuck in your gi, twisted my wrist".

I usually run into some funny ones, never something that's really a lame excuse.

"Why'd you tap, I didn't have anything?"
"When we rolled toward the other guys, Jason's toe hit me in the eye."

"Your belt is wrapped around my neck."

"You kneed me in the balls."

"I just rolled face first through something that smells like urine." (<--- After a bad rain, the roof had apparently leaked, dripping on one spot over the weekend, and it got all mildew. Smelled like cat piss, it was burning the poor guy's eyes and nose)

The coolest sub I ever got caught in was at a Judo club in MA, where a little Irish guy had forgotten to bring his gi in to wash it after the previous class put some gold bond on it to cover any smells, and as we rolled, I got "ninja dusted", and it burned like hell.

what pisses me off MUCh more than the tap excuse is the pre-emptive excuse.....you're goin along...setting up a kickass sub....and they fucking tap before you lock on the choke or whatever....its like they know its coming so they're like...oh shit hold on man i'm gassed....or you got it dude you got it.....i HATTTEEE that lol

There was one guy in my class who fortunately doesnt come anymore who is the biggest pussy. If you got side mount on this dude and went for an armbar he would like tap out once you passed your leg over his head and had control of his arm.

Thing is though those people never learn. That dude must have been rolling for a year, and I started crushing his ass within my first 3 weeks of class.

I hate dudes who tap out to early and dont really let you apply the pressure cause it hurts both of your games.

"You're lucky that I ate too much before coming to class."

Wolverine
///

Only thing I hate is the guy - not usually too old - that only wants to go '75%', then proceeds to destroy and dismantle you.

Yeah. Our class starts off rolling and youre suppose to go light in the beginning but some kids rush in to it right away and its a pain.

dutchmasterj3 said:
Yeah. Our class starts off rolling and youre suppose to go light in the beginning but some kids rush in to it right away and its a pain.
Not to be disrespectful, but why the hell do you start off rolling? Stretch beforehand?

I'm curious. We do all our rolling after our tough warmup and after our techniques.

dutchmasterj3 said:

Best answer to that is when the instructor says "No subs first roll.." or "No subs for the first 3-5 minutes", then lets you go. You wind up working for position for the whole first roll or a part of it.

Guys who tell you after you tap them that they weren't going all that hard on you, insecure assholes

"i was being lazy"

that one pissed me off alot, because in essence, he was trying to take my victory away from me. this came from a guy who had been at my gym for about a year before i came, and were like dead-even, and he is always very reluctant to tap to me. we can usually roll for 5-10 minutes without either being submitted, but i got him that time and i was proud of it, he was just trying to take it away

it makes me mad when people do that, especially to me, because if you choke me out, my first breath after the tap will be to say "good job"

I wish there weren't some big macho thing about tapping. If somebody has you in an armbar and you don't tap, you're fucking stupid. If you tap and make excuses, you're fucking stupid. Why can't people have appreciation for one another's techniques and try to learn something? You can always learn something even from the greenest noob, if nothing else, how someone with no training would react to BJJ and muay thai techniques.

Socratic knowledge; I know that I know nothing (so I know more than you).

I thik I am the king of bullshit excuses ... the one I like to use is .... sorry I was playing a tight game I was trying to watch what they were doing over there .... or maybe ... I tapped early because that my bad arm, or leg, or ankle, or shoulder, or airway ...

Where I train there is no lame shit like that going on. If you tap, there is nothing more to it. He doesn't say anything, and you don't ask. You just start going again. Making excuses are for pussies and little kids who don't belong on the mat.

the thing that bothers me is this, it happened about a week ago

theres this guy that comes to our gym named "shotgun" I dont know his real name but thats what we call him

anyway the 2 purple belts are just gently rolling around and I was like, "hey shotgun you just wanna get warmed up and roll gently for a few". he said ok

so we start rolling real easy and I armbar him but dont stretch it out and i just go back to gaurd.

He then picks me up and arona slams me and the 2 purples looked up and were mad because this isnt the first time this has happened with them.

When it came time to spar at the end of the class, one of our bluebelts proceeded to submit him about 15 times and pop both his elbows and he hasnt been back to class since but I hope he learned his lesson because that is not right

also im about 175 lbs and he weighs atleast 230

" I am tired" ya its wack.

I tap and say man that was awesome

Back